Was it difficult adjusting to a smaller Enter key?

kingmustard

I have always used keyboards with a full-size Enter key.

I've noticed a large majority of modern keyboards have a small (half-size) Enter key.

For those of you that had to go from full-size to a half-size Enter key with the purchase of a new keyboard: Was it difficult to adjust?

those are just ANSI layout boards? meant for the US generally, europe is usually on the ISO layout

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

those are just ANSI layout boards? meant for the US generally, europe is usually on the ISO layout

I'm in the UK and I'm talking most on Ebuyer, Overclockers UK etc.

4 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

I'm in the UK and I'm talking most on Ebuyer, Overclockers UK etc.

are you sure you are not just looking at ANSI boards? most boards will have the option of either ANSI or ISO when you buy them, or available in the other layout from another retailer

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

For me, I prefer the half-size enter key, with a full-wide backslash immediately above it, and a full-wide backspace above that.  With the full enter key, you have a tiny backslash key scrunched up next to a tiny backslash key.

The keyboard layout was one of the reasons I bought my Logitech MK200 and MK270 keyboard/mouse combos.

I'm talking about the US layout, not the EU layout (or whichever one has an enter key that's wider at the top than at the bottom, and has an Alt Gr key).

They don't look like that because they are "modern", it's just a different keyboard layout.  UK keyboards use the tall enter key with the short left shift, this is known as the ISO layout and will usually come with a £ on the 3 key.  In North America, they commonly use the ANSI layout which has a long left shift and enter key.  If you order one with the long enter key, you will have an American keyboard without the "£" sign.

Image result for iso layout

2 hours ago, Qyndryx said:

They don't look like that because they are "modern", it's just a different keyboard layout.  UK keyboards use the tall enter key with the short left shift, this is known as the ISO layout and will usually come with a £ on the 3 key.  In North America, they commonly use the ANSI layout which has a long left shift and enter key.  If you order one with the long enter key, you will have an American keyboard without the "£" sign.

Image result for iso layout

Ahh I guess I use the ANSI layout then.

Hey what was the layout before the Windows keys, with gaps between Ctrl & Alt, and the L-shaped enter key with the L's stem being under the shortened \ & backspace, and base over a wide right shift? Or with the F# keys in 2 columns on the left?

8 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Ahh I guess I use the ANSI layout then.

Hey what was the layout before the Windows keys, with gaps between Ctrl & Alt, and the L-shaped enter key with the L's stem being under the shortened \ & backspace, and base over a wide right shift? Or with the F# keys in 2 columns on the left?

Like a Model F AT?  I don't think it has a specific layout name.  I couldn't find one anyway.

19 minutes ago, Qyndryx said:

Like a Model F AT?  I don't think it has a specific layout name.  I couldn't find one anyway.

Yeah basically like that.

Or what about this layout? :D 

2016335186_dscn0533speakspell.thumb.jpg.43eda970c7917af14c11ec0e47a33285.jpg

4 hours ago, Qyndryx said:

<image snipped>

You say UK keyboards use the tall Enter key but look at the three categories below. I have proven my point in the third of the three categories.

https://www.ebuyer.com/store/Peripherals/cat/Keyboards-&amp;-Mice/subcat/Gaming-Keyboards

https://www.ebuyer.com/store/Peripherals/cat/Keyboards-&amp;-Mice/subcat/Wired-Keyboards

https://www.ebuyer.com/store/Peripherals/cat/Keyboards-&amp;-Mice/subcat/Wireless-Keyboards

• Small Enter key
    • Canyon Ultra Slim Wireless Keyboard
    • CORSAIR K83 Wireless Entertainment Keyboard
    • Logitech Illuminated Livingroom K830 Keyboard
    • Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard for Business
    • Logitech Wireless Keyboard K350 for Business UK layout
    • Logitech K380 Multi-Device Bluetooth Keyboard
    • Microsoft All-in-One Media keyboard
    • Logitech K360 Wireless Keyboard
    • Rapoo E9110 2.4GHz Wireless Ultra-slim Keyboard Black
    • Rapoo K2600 2.4GHz Wireless Multimedia Keyboard Grey UK Layout
    • Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 Plus
    • Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 850
    • Microsoft Modern Keyboard with Fingerprint ID
  • Large Enter key
    • Apple MQ052B/A Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad
    • Logitech K800 Wireless Illuminated Keyboard
    • Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 UK layout
    • Logitech K270 Wireless Keyboard
    • Xenta BT100 Aluminium Slim Wireless Keyboard - Silver

Most have the smaller Enter key and they're UK-layout keyboards.

it's like a new fad in the UK and I don't like it.

To make matters worse, Logitech have made the K360 have the small Enter key. My K360 from 6 years ago has the large key.

8 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

Using the ANSI layout instead of making a separate ISO layout keyboard is a cost saving measure. Because the UK's main language is English, companies can get away with selling American ANSI layout keyboards much easier than in other European countries. US market >> UK market, so it just makes sense that you would see ANSI boards. 

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

Using the ANSI layout instead of making a separate ISO layout keyboard is a cost saving measure. Because the UK's main language is English, companies can get away with selling American ANSI layout keyboards much easier than in other European countries. US market >> UK market, so it just makes sense that you would see ANSI boards. 

I bet that's correct.

Shame, though :(

I'm currently typing on a Corsair Lux K65 RGB with proper UK layout. The keyboard I used before that was a Logitech G213 with proper UK layout. They do make them in UK layout, but it isn't always clear. It can be further confusing because often on web store listings, they use the generic US layout images on the UK layout product.

I don't think either layout is better than the other, but people will prefer what they grew up with.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I used to have an ANSI keyboard before buying an ISO one.

I actually miss the ANSI layout, but not because of the half-size enter or wider backslash, but rather because of the wider left shit.

I got used to the half-size shift, but it was nice to have a bigger one considering the right shift is barely used.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

I got to try out the ANSI layout with my friend's Omen laptop and I kept hitting the one above the enter all the freaking time.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

When I was getting my mechanical keyboard it only had option with ANSI even though I wanted ISO but I knew it wouldn't bother me too much. I got used to it maybe day or two, few days at best probably. Mainly kept missing hitting the Enter for a while. I still find ISO layout better, the taller Enter key just makes it easier to hit with likey pinkey quickly and such. You don't use Backspace as often so makes sense for Enter to be comfortable to be hit on larger surface. Also the extra key by the LShift too which it would be <> keys and extra gaming bind. Other than that it transfers fine for my language on ANSI layout, though I don't use Eng default layout but my own langauge so side symbols are atranged differently than they are shown on key caps but I don't care, I don't look at my keyboard. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

As long as you don't need to type backslash too often.

I have to switch back and forth because my laptop is ANSI and my desktop keyboard is ISO and I've figured that I can safely hit the lower part of the ISO enter and the right side of the ANSI enter to have a consistent place to hit that button.

Backslash on the other hand...

11 hours ago, cengiz said:

As long as you don't need to type backslash too often.

I have to switch back and forth because my laptop is ANSI and my desktop keyboard is ISO and I've figured that I can safely hit the lower part of the ISO enter and the right side of the ANSI enter to have a consistent place to hit that button.

Backslash on the other hand...

I guess Alt+92 wouldn't be consistent? :P And, how to do it on a keyboard that lacks a numpad (yeah, I know, Fn+Alt+9K at least on this Dell Latitude 5490 I'm using right now at work), or on a non-Mi¢ro$o£t OS... I've often wanted to type alt-codes in Linux, but haven't figured out how to do it - same with Unicode in Linux AND windows. I've heard specific Windows apps allow it, but I want to do it whenever and wherever.

I guess... Alt+156, Alt+0181, Alt+155, (how do you manually type the greek kappa character "κ" or "ϰ" on a US/ANSI-layout keyboard?) whichever software company programmers or keyboard designers made it difficult to type certain symbols? :D 

11 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I guess Alt+92 wouldn't be consistent? :P And, how to do it on a keyboard that lacks a numpad (yeah, I know, Fn+Alt+9K at least on this Dell Latitude 5490 I'm using right now at work), or on a non-Mi¢ro$o£t OS... I've often wanted to type alt-codes in Linux, but haven't figured out how to do it - same with Unicode in Linux AND windows. I've heard specific Windows apps allow it, but I want to do it whenever and wherever.

I guess... Alt+156, Alt+0181, Alt+155, (how do you manually type the greek kappa character "κ" or "ϰ" on a US/ANSI-layout keyboard?) whichever software company programmers or keyboard designers made it difficult to type certain symbols? :D 

Well in linux you can use an international layout with AltGR and a compose key (AG+shift) or a US international layout where there are more diacritic keys to type accented characters.

You're technically not supposed to type arbitrary unicode symbols so if you want to you have to use an extension.