AMD confirm Navi will launch Q3

Master Disaster
1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Swatson with the cutting edge reporting. :)

But 10k USD for the cards is about right.

https://www.frontierpc.com/1901362131.html

Hey listen, I called it as soon as stadia was announced I just dont think AMD ever confirmed

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

33 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Hey listen, I called it as soon as stadia was announced I just dont think AMD ever confirmed

It wasn't that hard to figure out, as I'd seen it discussed as a V340 a few other places (mostly as it was the only logical SKU around), but you do get the award for getting it confirmed. :)

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

Ahh, I wasn't aware of the original statement being solely about cards, Yes that could easily be true.   I was just trying to provide some more detail regarding revenue and the division between the two markets.  The definitely make more money from there game division, but when you account for HPC it is likely that is the bigger winner.  However that does not (and likely will not) show how many cards were bought specifically for each use.  Unless Nvidia has relaxed the demand for Quadro drivers not to be be used on GTX cards and has some sort of number on driver base install.

Revenue is one thing but profit margin is another when we're looking at figures so close to each other. Enterprise market space is actually highly competitive and margins aren't as high as consumer, lower per sale volume etc, but Nvidia is really not competing in that sector with anyone else (AMD is a no show) so I'd hazard a guess the profiessional sector has slightly more profit than gaming.

The other factor in to my reasoning behind that is there are no AIBs in professional either, Nvidia just has a manufacture and supply contracts and they sell mainly through system integrators like HP/HPE, Dell, Lenovo etc. Even then with a company as large as HPE often HPE customize the cards and manufacture them, so it's all end to end HPE after buying the GPU packages from Nvidia. Here Nvidia is selling GPU packages at what price they see fit in very large volumes to a customer base less sensitive to price fluctuations and in large part operate outside of typical market pricing.

We as gamers have experienced massive price increases but this generally is not reflected over in the professional market. The only thing I've noticed that did increase in price was system memory and that was mainly in part due to how sustained the market price increase was i.e. not a bubble.

On 5/1/2019 at 7:39 PM, DrMacintosh said:

What makes this “small Navi”?

The existance of a "big NAVI", one that's far bigger than this one.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

I mean another issue AMD had after the 7000 series was people swapping over due to the rebranding of older cards.

Wich was due to lack of R&D on one side but for the 7970GHz/280X too much storage of Tahiti chips. 

Tonga was (more or less) ready but couldn't be released because the warehouses were full of Tahiti Chips.

IIRC in the end AMD still threw away a ton of Tahiti Chips.

And Tonga was never released as it was intended. Tonga is said to have a 384bit memory interface wich was never used for whatever reason...

Maybe because it could beat Hawaii??

Tonga was just a middle tech preview release like Maxwell 1 was for NVIDIA.

Keen to finally see them hit back against nvidia. Holding out for an upgrade until the unveil

9 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Wich was due to lack of R&D on one side but for the 7970GHz/280X too much storage of Tahiti chips. 

Tonga was (more or less) ready but couldn't be released because the warehouses were full of Tahiti Chips.

IIRC in the end AMD still threw away a ton of Tahiti Chips.

And Tonga was never released as it was intended. Tonga is said to have a 384bit memory interface wich was never used for whatever reason...

Maybe because it could beat Hawaii??

AMD Radeon R9 285X does have the full bus according to this:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-r9-285x.c2913

the r9 285 does only have a 256bit bus

6 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

AMD Radeon R9 285X does have the full bus according to this:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-r9-285x.c2913

the r9 285 does only have a 256bit bus

No, it doesn't!

There are Die Shots of Tonga going around and people found that it should have 384bit like Tahiti.

It might even be a drop in replacement for Tahiti but thanks to the first mining craze and AMD increasing manufacturing of the Original Tahiti Chip, they overproduced by a long shot and couldn't sell those chips.

That's probably why we never seen "full Tonga". And even at 256bit its enough to be better than 7970GHz...

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, it doesn't!

There are Die Shots of Tonga going around and people found that it should have 384bit like Tahiti.

It might even be a drop in replacement for Tahiti but thanks to the first mining craze and AMD increasing manufacturing of the Original Tahiti Chip, they overproduced by a long shot and couldn't sell those chips.

That's probably why we never seen "full Tonga". And even at 256bit its enough to be better than 7970GHz...

might wanna look at the link first.

but never mind it says that the 285x was never released 

41 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

might wanna look at the link first.

you're right, they indeed list the full spec

41 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

but never mind it says that the 285x was never released 

Yeah, sadly...

I realy liked to see full Tonga in action. But that won't be happening.