BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

1 minute ago, porina said:

If it is like other projects, they require two different people to return a unit and the results match. If they don't, another unit is sent out for completion until there is a match. Without this kind of system, it increases the risk from faulty hardware returning bad results, or even worse, intentional cheating for credits.

Well @Ithanul was saying they don't do twined units on WCG. hence why I asked.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

Well @Ithanul was saying they don't do twined units on WCG. hence why I asked.

It's a project choice if they want to enable this or not. Even without two matching results, they can still verify the content of the work unit to detect obvious errors or potential cheating. It may be that some projects decide that they'd rather have a lot of work done and that any errors in it don't matter to what they are doing.

Adaptive replication used to be a thing, I don't know if anyone uses it now. This is a kinda hybrid of the two. If a system is untrusted (either new, or has recently produced bad work) it will require double checking. Once a number of good units have been done, it becomes trusted and isn't routinely double-checked. An occasional unit might be double checked just for extra confidence.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

@Windows7ge

Could you maybe switch to yoyo as well? I seem to just be getting total garbage project performance on everything for some reason.

24 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@Windows7ge

Could you maybe switch to yoyo as well? I seem to just be getting total garbage project performance on everything for some reason.

Agreed Mr windows, @Ithanul could you swap the 1900x to yoyo too? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Do you remember the specific version you're on? Kind of important so I don't just install the latest and hope for the best.

I will check once I get back home after work.

1 hour ago, Ben Quigley said:

This I did not know,

Any ideas on how they validate then?

I have to double check, but I think WCG have validation servers.

This the list of the projects that where up for vote for the Pent and if they are quorum 1 or quorum 2:

Capture.PNG.a14a0a00faaaf91b48d2036c35ae8444.PNG

12 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Agreed Mr windows, @Ithanul could you swap the 1900x to yoyo too? 

Will do once I get home.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

@Windows7ge

You're not alone. I've switched over to yoyo and across all of my machines I'm seeing 8hrs, 12hrs, 22hrs, 1day depending on the task.

I have to ask though was there any special thing we were suppose to do? I connected to yoyo@home but I don't see how these points will be counted. They don't know about my team.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

You're not alone. I've switched over to yoyo and across all of my machines I'm seeing 8hrs, 12hrs, 22hrs, 1day depending on the task.

I have to ask though was there any special thing we were suppose to do? I connected to yoyo@home but I don't see how these points will be counted. They don't know about my team.

You need to sign up to the LTT team like you did for ZIKA

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

You need to sign up to the LTT team like you did for ZIKA

Got it. I'm on the team but these are really long tasks I don't know how helpful I'll be here. Faster cores sound more ideal than my config.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Got it. I'm on the team but these are really long tasks I don't know how helpful I'll be here. Faster cores sound more ideal than my config.

Unfortunately gotta piss with the cock you got...

it should be fine, 2 days left of of yoyo then we can be done with it.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I've not seen a yoyo task in over a day :|

1 hour ago, porina said:

Adaptive replication used to be a thing, I don't know if anyone uses it now. This is a kinda hybrid of the two. If a system is untrusted (either new, or has recently produced bad work) it will require double checking. Once a number of good units have been done, it becomes trusted and isn't routinely double-checked. An occasional unit might be double checked just for extra confidence.

So I could be waiting for a atom processor... Good to know.

Kill me now (look at the due date for my buddy in crime)

image.png.1e21447a037468c4f3647fb60eecf993.png

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Unfortunately gotta piss with the cock you got...

...does AvE mean anything to you?

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

Kill me now (look at the due date for my buddy in crime)

image.png.1e21447a037468c4f3647fb60eecf993.png

its probably one of the other teams holding onto the WU to drop a bunker... I wouldnt worry 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Windows7ge said:

...does AvE mean anything to you?

That it does,

but has been a saying in my family for as long as I can remember 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

i come from a mining town, seems to have many of the same sayings the world over. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

but has been a saying in my family for as long as I can remember 

Ah, alright. Well at least what my systems lack in speed they make up for in parallel processing. Once it starts finishing them there should be a steady stream of submissions from there-on out.

Just let me know when yoyo is done so I can set the servers to something else.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Ah, alright. Well at least what my systems lack in speed they make up for in parallel processing. Once it starts finishing them there should be a steady stream of submissions from there-on out.

Just let me know when yoyo is done so I can set the servers to something else.

I will do, just switch back to marathon when I say, will tell you a few hours before to give you a heads up.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

its probably one of the other teams holding onto the WU to drop a bunker... I wouldnt worry 

ah ok still it hurts seeing now over 45 idling, also 7 went threw at some point between that question and now. The time in the Return Time section is that the server time or is that WCG Time?

12 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

I set WCG as a backup project in case there is no work. Set the project share to zero, and boinc will only get work for that if there is nothing else.

12 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

There are usually two dates for units, one is the server deadline after which the unit is considered abandoned and wont get returned. Depending on the work going on, it may or may not generate another unit for someone else to do. The other date is when it actually returns work. Generally speaking, the server has no idea when the work will get returned. having said that, there is a trickle mechanism that is a kinda keep-alive message. It may be used by the server to extend the deadline for slower clients.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

25 minutes ago, porina said:

There are usually two dates for units, one is the server deadline after which the unit is considered abandoned and wont get returned. Depending on the work going on, it may or may not generate another unit for someone else to do. The other date is when it actually returns work. Generally speaking, the server has no idea when the work will get returned. having said that, there is a trickle mechanism that is a kinda keep-alive message. It may be used by the server to extend the deadline for slower clients.

So very similar to the date on F@H then. 

25 minutes ago, porina said:

I set WCG as a backup project in case there is no work. Set the project share to zero, and boinc will only get work for that if there is nothing else.

Sounds like work, I'm done with work for the day :P Maybe tomorrow morning.

Had my PC running for around 12 hours at this point, keeping my paces in the pentathlon going. :)

I love that running BOINC is basically a long-winded CPU stress test.

image.png.6ff1cdeab11ff5a3b68fc0646c20c20b.png

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

My Linux VM isn't happy with Yoyo. It's just eating up my RAM.

On the yoyo project website edit your preferences and turn off ECM tasks.

Yeah, yoyo can eat up some RAM for sure.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

On the yoyo project website edit your preferences and turn off ECM tasks.

I couldn't find it so I did the only other logical thing.

I doubled the RAM in the VM instead. We're using 10.4GiB right now.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I couldn't find it so I did the only other logical thing.

I doubled the RAM in the VM instead. We're using 10.4GiB right now.

Each ECM task can use up to 6GB ram each, those were just killing my quad server so badly. Was like "nom nom nom 256GB ram" *server death*.