BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

Just now, leadeater said:

Oh that horrible chat thing, could they have made it any worse? lol

I actually had to ask them to improve it right at the begining at the event, you can now see the last 50 messages or so with scrolling, yay go me. .

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

So you guys were in 17th last year. We're doing a lot better so far this year. I want to see us finish under 10th this year.

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

WE NEED DRUNKARD SCOTS!

They'd get in an argument with each other, fight, and break their rigs in the process.

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I actually had to ask them to improve it right at the begining at the event, you can now see the last 50 messages or so with scrolling, yay go me. .

I actually saw you comment about that ?

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

I actually saw you comment about that ?

well they did it! 

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

So you guys were in 17th last year. We're doing a lot better so far this year. I want to see us finish under 10th this year.

They'd get in an argument with each other, fight, and break their rigs in the process.

Hey, I come from a scott family.... but alas... it is true...

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I come from an Irish family. The body of water that separates us isn't that vast.

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Same here, but that's a few generations ago.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I come from an Irish family. The body of water that separates us isn't that vast.

My dads side is Irish and mum is Scottish, We are Celtic brothers! 

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Same here, but that's a few generations ago.

Only one generation ago for me. Most of my immediate family live in Scotland 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@Ben Quigley

Another huge spike in yoyo, bigger this time. I think I figured out it's me, looking at my credits history and the fact that even right now I have 32k credit pending verification.

4 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

My dads side is Irish and mum is Scottish, We are Celtic brothers! 

When the marathon is over let us drink in celebration!

@Ben Quigley

Another huge spike in yoyo, bigger this time. I think I figured out it's me, looking at my credits history and the fact that even right now I have 32k credit pending verification.

I put all 128 threads into yoyo yesterday. If you have pending credits so do I. Let's hope it gives us the boost we need.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

I put all 128 threads into yoyo yesterday. If you have pending credits so do I. Let's hope it gives us the boost we need.

It's very interesting to watch, at least to me, as we're gaining pretty good in to top 10 for yoyo.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

When the marathon is over let us drink in celebration!

Agreed! I have a lovely single malt around here somewhere.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@Ben Quigley

I know where quite a few of them have come from ;)

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I know where quite a few of them have come from ;)

Any more folding/boinc events you know of this year?

Any more folding/boinc events you know of this year?

The main folding month will be October/November time. I'm opening to do a 'summer sprint' 1-2 weeks sometime next month I think. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

The main folding month will be October/November time. I'm opening to do a 'summer sprint' 1-2 weeks sometime next month I think. 

The main events are the only ones that help you advance your event badge though, the rest is just bragging rights.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Ben Quigley said:

Yeah, yoyo does NOT like ryzen chips... 

Can't confirm... based on my limited data anyway.

Following systems were running from the start, with similar project switching and settings. Because of that I think we can cautiously compare RAC between them, I'm rounding scores for readability.

CPU, cores x clock, RAC

1700 (8x 3.2) 3000

2600 (6x 3.9) 2450

7800X (6x 4.0) 2550

2683v3 (14x 2.3) 3700

5930k (6x 3.x?) 2200

6700k (4x 4.0) 1700

Can't remember what all core turbo of 5930k is, but overall I think there is about the expected scaling considering cores and clocks. About the only part I've seen where Intel significantly lead Ryzen is for FPU heavy work, where Intel can be a factor of 2 more throughput.

Just to clarify, above is for yoyo, where I have de-selected OGL and ECM subprojects. Most of the ones that run I think are siever.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

The main events are the only ones that help you advance your event badge though, the rest is just bragging rights.

I don't care about the badges, I'm a stats and figures nerd and like seeing computers in action, particularly when they are literally going to waste otherwise. Still only setup half the decommissioned/idle servers we have, pains me to see such good stuff go to waste.

Just now, porina said:

Can't confirm... based on my limited data anyway.

Following systems were running from the start, with similar project switching and settings. Because of that I think we can cautiously compare RAC between them, I'm rounding scores for readability.

CPU, cores x clock, RAC

1700 (8x 3.2) 3000

2600 (6x 3.9) 2450

7800X (6x 4.0) 2550

2683v3 (14x 2.3) 3700

5930k (6x 3.x?) 2200

6700k (4x 4.0) 1700

Can't remember what all core turbo of 5930k is, but overall I think there is about the expected scaling considering cores and clocks. About the only part I've seen where Intel significantly lead Ryzen is for FPU heavy work, where Intel can be a factor of 2 more throughput.

Just to clarify, above is for yoyo, where I have de-selected OGL and ECM subprojects. Most of the ones that run I think are siever.

I wonder why my ryzen was performing so poorly... 

I must investigate after the event

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I don't care about the badges, I'm a stats and figures nerd and like seeing computers in action, particularly when they are literally going to waste otherwise. Still only setup half the decommissioned/idle servers we have, pains me to see such good stuff go to waste.

Ship me one I'll use it :P (I'm on my phone this forum hates my phone)

Just now, Egg-Roll said:

I wouldn't mind getting in on this action ;)

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

4 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I wouldn't mind getting in on this action ;)

Not even I can have them, they all get secure erased by a removal company then refurbished and sold. You can't fight bureaucracy, it always wins. I'm doing my bit by refusing to put them on the disposal list.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Not even I can have them, they all get secure erased by a removal company then refurbished and sold. You can't fight bureaucracy, it always wins. I'm doing my bit by refusing to put them on the disposal list.

Awwh rip. Worth a try.

Here in Britain old equipment is often donated to universitys, schools, hospitals, charities and then written off as tax.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I dug through the outgoing servers in the work recycling pile previously. Decided it wasn't worth it as they were DDR2 era and had already been stripped of more valuable parts. Did get a 15k SAS drive but compared to SSDs it wasn't worth using beyond a quick play.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

I dug through the outgoing servers in the work recycling pile previously. Decided it wasn't worth it as they were DDR2 era and had already been stripped of more valuable parts. Did get a 15k SAS drive but compared to SSDs it wasn't worth using beyond a quick play.

Most smaller places don't throw anything out that would be of much worth. We have stuff going out the door like 30x DL360 Gen9 2x E5-2690v4 386GB RAM, however those I will be rescuing and putting in to dev/lab racks.