BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

58 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Agreed! I have a lovely single malt around here somewhere.

I'm more of a whiskey man. Speaking of I need to buy another bottle.

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Most smaller places don't throw anything out that would be of much worth. We have stuff going out the door like 30x DL360 Gen9 2x E5-2690v4 386GB RAM, however those I will be rescuing and putting in to dev/lab racks.

Where I work is a multi-billion dollar scale worldwide organisation, but the site I'm based isn't that significant equipment wise, especially since "the cloud" happened. With cost saving measures it isn't even worth rescuing the few desktops when they get retired. It used to be 4 years but they stretched that out indefinitely now, and I still have Sandy Bridge systems within my care.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm more of a whiskey man. Speaking of I need to buy another bottle.

Single malt is whisky...

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Still only setup half the decommissioned/idle servers we have

Your excuse was they didn't have OS's installed. That take the entirely of 10mins/each. Drivers should be pre-installed. Just have to install BOINC from there.

Speaking of what command did you run?

apt install [what?]

or something else? It'll help me when I do the after marathon testing.

13 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Single malt is whisky...

My lack of alcohol knowledge is also showing. I'm only familiar with "malt" being associated with beer. 

13 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

My lack of alcohol knowledge is also showing. I'm only familiar with "malt" being associated with beer. 

The process is very similar, 

Beer is malted barley that is "mashed" a process in which enzymes present on the malted barley are activated by the use of water that is 35-38C. These enzymes break down the long complex carbohydrates of the grain into the simple sugar maltose(and also more complex sugars called dextrins, these are what add body to the drink). The grains are then removed and this is then boiled with hops as a flavouring and bittering agent for around 60-90 mins. This is then cooled rapidly to make the proteins crash out, it then has yeast added that convert the sugars to alcohol. It is then filtered, carbonated and canned.

Whisky on the other hand, malted barley that is "mashed" a process in which enzymes present on the malted barley are activated by the use of water that is 35-38C. These enzymes break down the long complex carbohydrates of the grain into the simple sugar maltose. These are then boiled for around 15 minutes with no flavourings. Cooled, and much like the beer fermented with yeast. After the yeast is done, the liquid is distilled to a high percentage and put in barrels to age for anything from a few years to multiple decades. This agef whisky can then be watered down, and either mixed with other whiskys to hit a certain flavour profile, these are called blended, or they can be bottled as is as single malts.

There you go.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

40 minutes ago, porina said:

Where I work is a multi-billion dollar scale worldwide organisation, but the site I'm based isn't that significant equipment wise, especially since "the cloud" happened. With cost saving measures it isn't even worth rescuing the few desktops when they get retired. It used to be 4 years but they stretched that out indefinitely now, and I still have Sandy Bridge systems within my care.

Where I'm at, they hold onto systems for ten years (we are just doing a refresh now: going from Core 2 Duo/Quads to newer Xeons).  Can't do cloud at our place since the setup does not even touch civi Internet.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Top host is also running Windows 10, go figure considering the problems with the 2990WX and Windows. Seriously has to be something to it to get these high numbers for avg credit.

Hmmm, there are configs one can do in app_config and certain settings for BOINC.  I'm not very versed in those, so not sure what that individual is doing to get such numbers out of 2990WX.  At most, they maybe using multiple instances and using NUMA commands to restrain per node.

I'm currently researching into doing NUMA node and core affinity commands on my 1950X to see if I can get better output in W10.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Oh that horrible chat thing, could they have made it any worse? lol

Maybe could bug them to setup up a special Discord server for the event next year.  That chat side box is like a left over from the 90s....

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

@Ben Quigley Wow, what the heck are you doing on a tech forum crunching & folding you should be running your own brewery/distillery with that kind of in-depth knowledge.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

@Ben Quigley Wow, what the heck are you doing on a tech forum crunching & folding you should be running your own brewery/distillery with that kind of in-depth knowledge.

Haha, a gift of Autism, the ability to retain vast amounts of information. I could actually have gone far more in-depth but that's just unneeded. 

I also have a fairly good knowledge in fields such as, rheumatology, neurology, psychology, electrical engineering, computer science, cookery, social care, UK employment law, data protection law, copyright law and probably many more tbh. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Haha, a gift of Autism, the ability to retain vast amounts of information. I could actually have gone far more in-depth but that's just unneeded. 

I also have a fairly good knowledge in fields such as, rheumatology, neurology, psychology, electrical engineering, computer science, cookery, social care, UK employment law, data protection law, copyright law and probably many more tbh. 

Darn, I know I don't have crazy level memory like that.  Did meet a person though that could recall conversations to crazy precision.

On the other hand, I am really sensitive to color shades and hues.  Was funny when I got a 150 Prismacolor set, both my parents are like, most look the same.  Myself, nah, they each different, this one is slightly lighter than that, this one has a tad more of blue in it, this has a bit of purple, etc. 

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

15 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I hear that kind of power is a double-edged sword though.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I hear that kind of power is a double-edged sword though.

Oh it is, you remember not only will the good stuff, but every tiny horrible thing that's ever been said to you.

But yeah, I currently hold 16 high school qualifications, 4 College qualifications and 1 first class degree. It has its advantages. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

Darn, I know I don't have crazy level memory like that.  Did meet a person though that could recall conversations to crazy precision.

On the other hand, I am really sensitive to color shades and hues.  Was funny when I got a 150 Prismacolor set, both my parents are like, most look the same.  Myself, nah, they each different, this one is slightly lighter than that, this one has a tad more of blue in it, this has a bit of purple, etc. 

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

But yeah, I currently hold 16 high school qualifications, 4 College qualifications and 1 first class degree. It has its advantages. 

I don't have any fancy "power" like you guys that make me special. My eye sight is average (wear glasses, still) and my memory is quite sub-par (terrible really).

Off the top of my head the only worthwhile traits I have going for me are once I manage to learn something new (which always takes me longer than everyone else) I'm usually able to do it better than everyone else which I find really weird.

The only other trait off the top of my head is I have a very abstract way of thinking. I'll find solutions to things though very unusual & unconventional methods that turn out to be better/faster/more efficient than conventional methods. The double-edge sword to this is if I have no idea then I SERIOUSLY have no ideas. If I don't have an answer or solution immediately my brain will just shutdown when I'm expected to have one it's like the Windows BSOD or Linux Kernel panic of brain shutdowns. When that happens I'm useless for the rest of the day. The reset process is sleep. Speaking of it happened yesterday.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I don't have any fancy "power" like you guys that make me special. My eye sight is average (wear glasses, still) and my memory is quite sub-par (terrible really).

Off the top of my head the only worthwhile traits I have going for me are once I manage to learn something new (which always takes me longer than everyone else) I'm usually able to do it better than everyone else which I find really weird.

The only other trait off the top of my head is I have a very abstract way of thinking. I'll find solutions to things though very unusual & unconventional methods that turn out to be better/faster/more efficient than conventional methods. The double-edge sword to this is if I have no idea then I SERIOUSLY have no ideas. If I don't have an answer or solution immediately my brain will just shutdown when I'm expected to have one it's like the Windows BSOD or Linux Kernel panic of brain shutdowns. When that happens I'm useless for the rest of the day. The reset process is sleep. Speaking of it happened yesterday.

Mine is just colors.  My memory though is squat crappy.  Worse offender is I am very bad with faces and putting names to faces.

Though, I do have folks seem to be surprise that I draw and do pretty good in Math and Science classes (been a while though since I done any classes - funny enough, I always did good if I was allowed to draw in those classes).

But, yeah, suck to have days where one's thought processes go squat.  :I  

I left my PC on while I headed out to gym for an hour and a bit. I love how self-sufficient running BOINC is, reminds me a lot of Folding@Home with a lot more control over cores.

While I was away, I had it set to five cores out of six because I'm an idiot and forgot to allocate the last core back on BOINC...

While I was crunching weights, my PC was crunching math/science/compute/algorithms(?).

image.thumb.png.ead083a88b02e4d02640c6de61c2164c.png

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

21 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Mine is just colors.  My memory though is squat crappy.  Worse offender is I am very bad with faces and putting names to faces.

Though, I do have folks seem to be surprise that I draw and do pretty good in Math and Science classes (been a while though since I done any classes - funny enough, I always did good if I was allowed to draw in those classes).

I have a very precise eye for detail, before my neurological condition set in I was told I should be an engineering draftman. As I could look at somethibg and draw it with very high precision. To the point where it would be almost mm perfect. But these days I can barely even hold a pencil. :(

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I can't draw for crap. Sometimes I wish I could because it looks so cool and I can visualize what I consider neat drawings in my head but I can't convey them onto paper. With people my bad memory is weird. I can remember faces through only short interactions very well but I will never manage to remember any of their names. I befriended a group of about 30 people at my college 3 semesters ago and I've still barely memorized any of their names.

I know each of their faces,

I know each of them as a person,

I know what they each like/dislike,

I know their personalities,

I know how they treat me,

but I'll never manage to memorize their names...

4 minutes ago, seoz said:

I left my PC on while I headed out to gym for an hour and a bit. I love how self-sufficient running BOINC is, reminds me a lot of Folding@Home with a lot more control over cores.

While I was away, I had it set to five cores out of six because I'm an idiot and forgot to allocate the last core back on BOINC...

While I was crunching weights, my PC was crunching math/science/compute/algorithms(?).

Nice max core temps considering your overclock.

6 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I have a very precise eye for detail, before my neurological condition set in I was tone I should be an engineering draftman. As I could look at somethibg and draw it with very high precision. To the point where it would be almost mm perfect. But these days I can barely even hold a pencil. :(

Oof, that no doubt sucks.  I would fear lossing my ability to draw.  Though, I don't do drafting.  I more of the precise drawing of style like dragons with ink and brush ink.

Never took any art classes till that intro one in college.  Teacher straight up asked why I was even in the class and not a higher level art class.

Spoiler

Image result for ithanul ink dragon

Yes, that is all free handed.

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

Oof, that no doubt sucks.  I would fear lossing my ability to draw.  Though, I don't do drafting.  I more of the precise drawing of style like dragons with ink and brush ink.

Never took any art classes till that intro one in college.  Teacher straight up asked why I was even in the class and not a higher level art class.

Hide contents

Image result for ithanul ink dragon

Yes, that is all free handed.

Nice dragon.

Yeah, it's hard, I've lost so much ability in these last few years. I use to be a competitive cyclist, now I can't even walk without a walking stick. It takes me two hours to build a pc now, in the past it was a 25-35min job. And many other things like that, where I'm just slowly losing motor function. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

~20hrs into yoyo and Work Done has shot up exponentially. I was only at about 3.7K yesterday and I'm up to 78K

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

~20hrs into yoyo and Work Done has shot up exponentially. I was only at about 3.7K yesterday and I'm up to 78K

We are seeing some beautiful yo-yo production atm, keep up the good work champ. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Your excuse was they didn't have OS's installed. That take the entirely of 10mins/each. Drivers should be pre-installed. Just have to install BOINC from there.

Yea, I installed an OS on 3 of them just for this ?.

5 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Speaking of what command did you run?

apt install [what?]

or something else? It'll help me when I do the after marathon testing.

Just apt-get install boinc-client. I did setup device profiles on WCG to set the max cores and 100% CPU time, you can also just do that by editing /var/lib/boinc-client/global_config.xml. That file will not exist until after you add a project and it starts running.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Yea, I installed an OS on 3 of them just for this ?.

Just apt-get install boinc-client. I did setup device profiles on WCG to set the max cores and 100% CPU time, you can also just do that by editing /var/lib/boinc-client/global_config.xml. That file will not exist until after you add a project and it starts running.

For most of my tests I'm just going to use a GUI but use the Terminal within that. I think the GUI package is called boinc-manager. Not entirely sure.

An impressive effort in yoyo for the last 24 hours, 24 more hours left of yoyo@home. Once this has passed pour all of your cores into the marathon as quickly as you can.

In 24 hours Einstein@home will commence, this is a GPU event, there are CPU work units but please don't crunch then, they are not worth it.

Also keep in mind we still have one discipline to go, the sprint, I will try to keep you posted on any update for the sprint. 

Once the sprint is announced I want us all to throw every CPU at it we can, let's make a name for ourselves! 

We are currently in 12th with the chance to regain 11th fairly soon if all goes to plan.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240