name@surname.com email

Lazarba

Hello guys,

To begin with I'd like to apologize if this is not the proper place to post this, it's just I have no idea in which thread this belongs to.

Okay , so I want a name@surname.com email since it looks far more professional and I will soon be looking for a job. Thing is, I have no idea how to create one. Really , I know nothing on the subject...

Guide me if you could please.

Thanks a ton!

Well you would need to own your surname as a server first

my grandmother does this. Its a real pain in the ass to setup. http://www.mail.com/mail/ she uses that

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Hello guys,
To begin with I'd like to apologize if this is not the proper place to post this, it's just I have no idea in which thread this belongs to.
Okay , so I want a [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script> email since it looks far more professional and I will soon be looking for a job. Thing is, I have no idea how to create one. Really , I know nothing on the subject...
Thanks a ton!

What you need is a domain name. This can be purchased on several different sites like Godaddy.com, domain.com, etc.

This will likely cost you about 10-15 USD per year. It depends on what name you want to register and if it's a popular name and so on.
(Example: let's say the only domain google owned was google.com. That would mean google.net or google.org etc would very expensive since it's a popular name. Now this isn't the case but you get the idea.)

What you can do is also register for an email service on godaddy/domain.com or similar for about 4-5 USD a month.

So, lets say you get a domain for 13USD for an entire year and then pay 4.50 USD a month for email. That will be a total of about 67 USD. The benefit of this is that it will be set up once you make the purchase with the registrar and you don't have to configure anything yourself. The downside is that it is significantly more expensive than just buying a domain.

Free option (domain still costs)

If you only want to pay for the domain and get the email service for free. There are a few options but they may be hard to do if you do not know anything about it.
(Note, there may be more/other options than the following two. These are just the ones I could come up with right now)

Option 1:
You can either make a free account on a service like zoho.com which gives you a few accounts for free to go with your domain (remember, you are still going to have to buy a domain, this is only to get the email service for free.) This can be tricky if it's your first time. But there are plenty of resources online and both zoho and sites like Godaddy can help you set it up for free. (You are going to have to redirect mxrecords for mail on Godaddy/domain.com to what the zoho site tells you.)

Option 2:
You can also setup a mail server at home, this is free but a lot more advanced and you are going to have to research that on your own if you are interested. Although, you may want to read stuff like this, it is tricky and you have to make sure it's secure yourself.

What I recommend:

If you have absolutely no idea of what you are doing when it comes to domain names and do not have an issue with the cost. Consider looking at a mail service from the domain registrar you choose. It's definitely more expensive but depending on what kind of person you are, it might just be the only choice.

Although, if you just haven't done it before but you want to learn (it isn't too hard really, as long as you have some interest you shouldn't have any troubles really), I'd go with buying a domain and getting a zoho account. It's fairly simple and zoho has great tutorials for the major registrars with step by step instructions. And with the major registrars, support staff will probably set it up for you for free if you just give them the info they need from the zoho website.

EDIT:
Just FYI, unless you have a rather unique lastname, it might be troublesome for you to register it as it may be taken already. I myself have thought about doing it but my lastname, Johnson, is not that unique and therefore most of the Johnson domains are already taken. But again, if your lastname is quite unique to only your family, then you might be lucky.

Well you would need to own your surname as a server first

No, I see what you are trying to say but you don't need to own the surname "as a server". You have to own a domain name (Which might be what you meant.)

Hello guys,
Okay , so I want a [email protected]email since it looks far more professional and I will soon be looking for a job. Thing is, I have no idea how to create one. Really , I know nothing on the subject...
Thanks a ton!

Also, don't forget to follow your topics to get notifications when someone replies to it.

Do it here:
OaLbH7g.png?1

Or when making the thread/post.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

-snip-

No, I see what you are trying to say but you don't need to own the surname "as a server". You have to own a domain name (Which might be what you meant.)

I meant the domain name (which requires a server)

Good response though. (I wish you answered my topic on software)

Hello guys,

Okay , so I want a name@surname.com email since it looks far more professional and I will soon be looking for a job. Thing is, I have no idea how to create one. Really , I know nothing on the subject...

Thanks a ton!

I can help with this. First of all go to namecheap.com (not affiliated with them but they provide great support and you're able to buy domains etc) and enter your domain name of choice, that being your surname.com. Then if it's available you buy it which will be around $10 USD a year or you can pay for multiple years (your choice).

Then you can either do 1 of 2 things, either use free e-mail hosting such as hotmail/live.com or gmail or paid. That being said it does have its limitations and what I recommend is buying cheap shared hosting which costs about $5-10 a year which includes unlimited email accounts and also about 5GB of storage which can be purchased from buyvm (click website hosting).

If you're doing it via BuyVM then you just purchase the hosting and once you receive the details of your hosting change the DNS of your website via namecheap control panel and it says it takes 24-48 hours for propagation, but in all reality it's probably only 1 hour. Then once that is done login to your cPanel with the credentials provided in the e-mail you receive with the details of your hosting. Go into e-mail accounts and enter your name as a username and enter a quota/space allocated to it and a password and click create. Then you're able to login to your e-mail and send emails via webmail.surname.com and login with name@surname.com.

OR

You can apply for free e-mail hosting via live.com or gmail which can be done if you follow the prompts. Also namecheap.com support will help you if you need anything else or any help.

Total cost: $15-20 a year for unlimited accounts

Total cost: ~$10 for free e-mail hosting but it is limited to about 5 accounts and limited storage.

If not you can buy email hosting but it isn't worth it in my opinion, you can try mxroute.com it's about $6 a year or so and it's an easy setup, just use cloudflare for DNS management.

PM me your skype if you need any help and I can help you do this, it's pretty straight forward, probably takes about 10 minutes in total without the propagation time.

I meant the domain name (which requires a server)

A domain doesn't require a server