Could the next gen chips suck?

So we're potentially on the verge of Zen 2 in (potentially) June/July, and Ice/Cannon Lake(Skylake+++++++++) uncertainty for 2019. As much as we all want to root for our teams, my question to you guys is could they all suck? Zen being chiplet latency, and Intel's potential to not have anything or rush out more 14nm++++++++ chips. What do you guys think the state of tech will be for the remainder or 2019? 

What we know of Zen 2, to me, puts it in a low risk area. We know they have performed updates to the front end and also beefed up the AVX units to parity with Intel consumer CPUs. It is unknown how the chiplet design will work out, but I'm not overly concerned about this. At least, not for up to 8 core versions. When it goes to 2 chiplets things might get more interesting, but I see that as an area for advanced users.

Intel is harder to say since they are going to be at the end of the year if not into next year. Worst case all we get the 10 core 14nm CPU and that's it. It is as unexciting as it sounds. If they can get out Sunny Cove based CPUs that's essentially an unknown how it will behave. They also promise the usual updates but we will only know how it performs once we can get it. Will they get 10nm online in mass production by then?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

AMD will have the lead for at least 1 year.

When Intel finally solved the 10nm problem, they will have an answer.

It's easy for intel to release more cores to defend it's position, but it is not easy to match AMD pricing.

And Intel will move to 3D stacking that will be the answer to AMD's chiplets.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 minutes ago, porina said:

What we know of Zen 2, to me, puts it in a low risk area. We know they have performed updates to the front end and also beefed up the AVX units to parity with Intel consumer CPUs. It is unknown how the chiplet design will work out, but I'm not overly concerned about this. At least, not for up to 8 core versions. When it goes to 2 chiplets things might get more interesting, but I see that as an area for advanced users.

Intel is harder to say since they are going to be at the end of the year if not into next year. Worst case all we get the 10 core 14nm CPU and that's it. It is as unexciting as it sounds. If they can get out Sunny Cove based CPUs that's essentially an unknown how it will behave. They also promise the usual updates but we will only know how it performs once we can get it. Will they get 10nm online in mass production by then?

Something tells me that if they launch Sunny Cove this year it will be a Paper/Low yield launch.

It depends on the advancements as well, there have been rumors of them 3D stacking chips as well but im not sure if that would be applicable in the desktop.

Naturally speed will increase in the processors to come.  Yet, price will also go up with those other perks.  

Won’t visit often..

If the latency is worse then they'll just go back to Ryzen 1000 performance which sucked in my opinion, I doubt it will be worse considering everything is smaller so the distances are shorter too, at worst it will be comparable to Ryzen 2000 i think and that's still good enough to embarrass Intel.

Intel is in a really tough spot, AMD's market share is increasing rapidly

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Current Zen+ pricing has already dropped, improvements to infinity fabric and core count are almost guaranteed, I would be amazed if AMD took a step back given their current momentum. At the very least, their superior value will persist no matter what.

Intel, on the other hand are the ones who need to worry about stagnation. With no real reason to upgrade from their last gen when coffee lake came out, their 10th generation will have to be excellent.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Intel are in a big ditch and need to dig themselves out.

AMD forced Intel's hand after Intel had released 4-core CPUs for just under a decade and when their hand was finally pushed, they released Coffee Lake, with 6 cores being the mainstream, a nice kick in the behind for Intel to actually innovate and not artifically sandbag Moore's Law.

Intel 9th gen sucked in my opinion because for the most part, it is Coffee Lake V2, it was and will never be worthy of being called 9th gen. I could de-lid my 8600K and call it a 9600K, that's my view on '9th gen'.

As for AMD, well I'll be damned, they're shooting for the mountain tops with Ryzen 3000 series, at least on paper. I'm enthusiastic and curious as to the future of AMD.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

I doubt they will suck, but i also doubt there will still be incentive to move beyond an I7 4790K

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, seoz said:

As for AMD, well I'll be damned, they're shooting for the mountain tops with Ryzen 3000 series, at least on paper. I'm enthusiastic and curious as to the future of AMD.

I'm waiting that moment since Athlon 64.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Intel really made an amazing line up with Coffee Lake in my opinion, it has a lot of improvements from Skylake.

Kaby Lake was a mistake that shouldn't have been released in the first place for what it offered and Coffee Lake Refresh doesn't deserve the "refresh" nor "9th gen" it shows off on package.

The i7 9700K exists solely for Intel to still profit even more than it did from the i7 8700K with failed i9 9900K's... I insist all the time if you want an Intel system for games just go with the i7 8700K as you won't be losing anything in comparison with the more expensive 9700K.

The i5 9600K as stated above is a lame processor that's far too expensive to be a "budget/mid-range" alternative defeating it's purpose.

The i9 9900K is a great processor if you have use for it, gaming alone ain't it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)