What edition/ version of windows 10 is best for gaming ?

katori142

Hi everyone. im a huge fan of windows 7 but recentlly i wanna play some game which requires windows 10 so i decide to make a move. But windows 10 is just a mess full of bloatware , unnecessary progress runing in background which always make me hesitate. is any gamer here using windows 10 can tell me which one is the best for game ( both version and edition name )? i don't need ton of features and background progress i just want my game run smoothly. Thank you everyone in advance

W10 home is just as good as pro for gaming. You can uninstall the bloatware btw

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

I use Win 10 Pro 1809. All games that I play run smoothly. BF1/BF5, Witcher 3, Sekiro: SDT. Played Anthem for like 20 hours, never had any performance issues. I had my concerns when switching from 7 to 10, but once I installed it and got familiar with it I realized that its not that bad.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

8 minutes ago, katori142 said:

Hi everyone. im a huge fan of windows 7 but recentlly i wanna play some game which requires windows 10 so i decide to make a move. But windows 10 is just a mess full of bloatware , unnecessary progress runing in background which always make me hesitate. is any gamer here using windows 10 can tell me which one is the best for game ( both version and edition name )? i don't need ton of features and background progress i just want my game run smoothly. Thank you everyone in advance

They're all equal for gaming, however I'd go with Pro over Home because of increased control over the OS.

Check out /r/microsoftsoftwareswap, you can get Windows 10 for like $40 there. I've gotten a few copies of Windows from them (Mainly S5ean) without issue, even after several years.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

20 minutes ago, katori142 said:

But windows 10 is just a mess full of bloatware , unnecessary progress runing in background which always make me hesitate.

on my 8700K at idle my CPU usage reaches 0% every time, Windows itself is not the cause of unnecessary background processes, it's the programs you install and decide to keep on all the time

It does have some Windows Store bloatware (UWP) on a fresh install though, but those have nothing to do with background processes and you can uninstall them.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Any version is fine. I don't really notice any bloating :/

If you need a key, ebay is pretty good.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Tha

21 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

I use Win 10 Pro 1809. All games that I play run smoothly. BF1/BF5, Witcher 3, Sekiro: SDT. Played Anthem for like 20 hours, never had any performance issues. I had my concerns when switching from 7 to 10, but once I installed it and got familiar with it I realized that its not that bad.

yes im using win 7, i had decided to move to win 10 many time in the pass but i just can't because of hearing windows 10's issue . i think i will give 1809 pro a chance . Thanks Hustler

Get LTSC if you can. You can still install the store and Xbox app if you need it

🙂

45 minutes ago, duncannah said:

You can still install the store and Xbox app if you need it

How? I was looking this up the other day, I couldn't find a solution.

Get Windows 10 Pro or better if you want more control of Group Policy, Updates, and general features. That will make your computer easier for you to manage, and therefore more friendly for general use cases (such as gaming in your case).

Windows 10 LTSC is the best edition for gaming because:

- it's the most reliable

- it doesn't download feature updates so gaming won't be interrupted and performance won't possibly get screwed up after an update

- it doesn't have resource-hogging data-harvesting and background processes (telemetry can be turned down lower then Home and Pro)

- it has the least bloat-ware of all Windows 10 editions

- it doesn't have the inefficient and non gaming-friendly UWP

Windows 10 LTSC is currently available at eBay for $5, with multiple listings at $6.

Windows 10 LTSC is the only edition of Windows 10 worth having, IMO. It's the equivalent of what Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 was back in 2011. Windows 10 Home and Pro are just billboard and data-harvesting platforms.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987