Han Solo Vs. James T. Kirk

486DX Win3.1

Kirk fought a Gorn. Han Solo can get lost!

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

In tough situations, Kirk has offered his own life in exchange for the safety of his crew repeatedly.

He also literally gave up eternal happiness in order to help a captain and a population of aliens he didn't even know.

What about Solo?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Plutosaurus said:

In tough situations, Kirk has offered his own life in exchange for the safety of his crew repeatedly.

What about Solo?

Hell get you next time, kid. LOL

Just now, Mutoh said:

Admiral and General are more or less similar ranks. Kirk was also Chief of Starfleet Ops which is a very high ranking position. Solo was field promoted for Endor and didnt do anything worthwhile for thr resistance after he ran away from his kid problems to smuggle again for how many decades?

I know who I would trust my life with and it isnt the womanizing smuggler with commitment problems and an aging DL-44 :)

I do agree there, pretty much equivalent just different branches, but he was actually promoted before Endor and he did continue to work the alliance after the fall of the empire, helping many diplomatic missions and recruitment, including helping free the wookies from their imprisonment with his wife and after became a legitimate owner of his own shipping business and it was only after his son turned to the dark side did he go back to his old smuggling habits. 

4 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

He also literally gave up eternal happiness in order to help a captain and a population of aliens he didn't even know.

What about Solo?

And Solo sacrificed his Imperial academy career to defy orders and save his fellow pilots, preformed many covert and open rescue missions to save rebellion troops during and after the Galactic war, and after the war he raised his family since his wife was a senator and kept his piloting skills up by competing in races and donating the winnings to charities, and created quite the legacy for himself after the war being able to turn his life around.

WINDOWS HAS NOT DETECTED A KEYBOARD

PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

11 minutes ago, MarbleHornets said:

I do agree there, pretty much equivalent just different branches, but he was actually promoted before Endor and he did continue to work the alliance after the fall of the empire, helping many diplomatic missions and recruitment, including helping free the wookies from their imprisonment with his wife and after became a legitimate owner of his own shipping business and it was only after his son turned to the dark side did he go back to his old smuggling habits. 

And Solo sacrificed his Imperial academy career to defy orders and save his fellow pilots, preformed many covert and open rescue missions to save rebellion troops during and after the Galactic war, and after the war he raised his family since his wife was a senator and kept his piloting skills up by competing in races and donating the winnings to charities, and created quite the legacy for himself after the war being able to turn his life around.

None of that stuff is canon tho

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Just now, Plutosaurus said:

None of that stuff is canon tho

Actually, it is. Its not part of Star Wars Legends and is completely cannon. If we wen't by Legend's standards, it'd be much longer list than just this.

14 minutes ago, MarbleHornets said:

Unfortunately Disney says that didnt happen.

If we drew from trek EU we could dig further too but I figured that was cheating a bit. :)

Just now, Mutoh said:

Unfortunately Disney says that didnt happen.

If we drew from trek EU we could dig further too but I figured that was cheating a bit. :)

It was cannon before Disney took over though, or else I'd love to take from Star Wars legend. Then that'd make it a worth whiled battle!

Just now, MarbleHornets said:

Actually, it is. Its not part of Star Wars Legends and is completely cannon. If we wen't by Legend's standards, it'd be much longer list than just this.

Obiwan said the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

To me, nothing that occurred after Return (in real time) counts at all :)

1 minute ago, Plutosaurus said:

Obiwan said the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

To me, nothing that occurred after Return (in real time) counts at all :)

I can't blame ya, everyone has their own opinion, hence the reason of this discussion ?

I still want my Revan movie. Emo Revan light doesnt do it for me LOL

Kirk, don't @ me

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 hours ago, Tristerin said:

@Sauron after you read my response above - I have a question (and didn't want to keep editing) did Kirk travel to multiple Galaxies or is the Multiverse within the Trek fandom considered larger?

Now that Ive come to a conclusion that Solo only knew of his Galaxy likely...Im wondering if Kirk was a captain to the Universe travel.  VERY large delta between the two 

Kirk only travels within the Milky Way as far as I can remember - Picard at some point travels to another galaxy thanks to another character iirc but I haven't seen all TNG episodes. Generally speaking Star Trek is set within the Milky Way. They do have time travel and weird alternate universes tough, whereas Star Wars (mostly) doesn't.

To be clear, I'm not bashing Star Wars - I just think Kirk as a character is a better captain than Solo, at least as far as the movies go (I'm sure there's expanded canon where Solo commands the entire fleet but let's be honest, character traits in the expanded canon aren't exactly consistent - sometimes they aren't consistent even within the movies).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

33 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Kirk, don't @ me

@PCGuy_5960

I'm a rebel.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 hours ago, 486DX Win3.1 said:

Who is the better Captain Here- Really???

In a straight up fight? I’d bet on Solo every time. 

1. Solo has combat training, from both the naval academy and the infantry corps of a militaristic aggressive government. Kirk might have had pretty advanced combat training as far as Starfleet is concerned, but that’s a benevolent utopian-esque government. 

2. He isn’t above fighting dirty, or even outright dishonourably. 

Kirk will give it all he’s got once the fight starts, but Solo might shoot you in the back to entirely avoid the fight. 

3. He’s *incredibly* lucky. Like, unnaturally so. Kirk has his moments, but not that degree. 

If we are talking naval combat - particularly capital ship class or fleet class - Kirk was widely considered something of a tactical genius. Maybe not on Sisko’s level - but Han mostly relies on his innate skill and luck when flying in a larger battle, whereas Kirk is able to formulate complicated strategies and tactics and implement them on the fly. 

Legends Han Solo could do this too, but he was somewhat OP, and most of that history has been lost to the new EU, where his large scale tactical genius has never been displayed. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Most seems to forget that Han Solo was a General for a number of years after the Battle of Endor and commanded a fleet.

Not taking a side yet but I just wanted to point that out.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Every one seems to forget that Han Solo was a General for a number of years after the Battle of Endor and command a fleet.

Not taking a side yet but I just wanted to point that out.

Yes, but at least in Canon EU, we don’t really see any examples of him actually proving a tactical expert in capital ship warfare. 

We see many examples of this in Legends EU though. That particular period was fleshed out more and the civil war also went on for longer. 

Disney may well give further backstory to Solo to make this true again, but we shall have to see. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Are we all saying that Kirk isnt beyond playing dirty? He might not shoot first but he'll find a way to shoot last. Ask the Kobayashi Maru test and Khan. :)

Earth might be a Utopia but Qo'noS and Romulus arent! 

1 minute ago, Mutoh said:

Are we all saying that Kirk isnt beyond playing dirty? He might not shoot first but he'll find a way to shoot last. Ask the Kobayashi Maru test and Khan. :)

Oh he certainly will play dirty - but he still has a sense of honour about combat. Solo and Kirk are just as intelligent as one another, so that's not going to be the deciding factor.

We have to define the kind of encounter they have to determine who is likely to win. In starfighter combat (or small/freighter craft combat), Solo would walk all over Kirk (assuming equal technology).

In Naval combat - especially with larger ships, I think Kirk would gain the advantage.

In personal combat, I'd give the edge to Solo. But it could easily go either way depending on environmental factors.

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Oh he certainly will play dirty - but he still has a sense of honour about combat. Solo and Kirk are just as intelligent as one another, so that's not going to be the deciding factor.

We have to define the kind of encounter they have to determine who is likely to win. In starfighter combat (or small/freighter craft combat), Solo would walk all over Kirk (assuming equal technology).

In Naval combat - especially with larger ships, I think Kirk would gain the advantage.

In personal combat, I'd give the edge to Solo. But it could easily go either way depending on environmental factors.

Kirk literally tricked Khan into letting himself being self destructed. I wouldnt say thats honorable. 

Starfleet H2H saved Kirk from super human aliens and genetically modified beings so I dont think its fair to dismiss his training vs something that is barely touched on in the current SW canon. Wookies are scary. So are Klingons and Augments.

Kirk also is a proven pilot and has maneuvers named after him. He is very adaptable and also uses his surroundings to his advantage. He isnt a slouch even if he does in the chair.

Mind you Star Wars ships teleport around with hyperdrive so there is always an in universe advantage in SW.

16 hours ago, Drak3 said:

But Solo has a Wookiee.

kirk has a spock

2 hours ago, kilgore_T said:

kirk has a spock

Meh.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

38 minutes ago, TacoSenpai said:

Captain Falcon.

If we're entering our own, then obviously Captain Jack Sparrow.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

12 hours ago, Mutoh said:

Kirk literally tricked Khan into letting himself being self destructed. I wouldnt say thats honorable.

None of what you just said invalidates any of my points.

Also Kirk didn't trick Khan into self destructing. Khan did that as a suicide attack to try and take Kirk out with him. He knew his ship was wrecked, half his crew were dead, and he himself was likely dying - they took a hit to the bridge, not many ways of coming out of that a victor.

Kirk outsmarted Khan. And that was mostly because Kirk has experience in Space Naval Warfare, something Khan has never done before. Khan was obviously far more intelligent than Kirk, but he thought in terms of 2D strategies, because that's the kind of warfare he has experience in from back on Earth during the Eugenics Wars.

Starfleet H2H saved Kirk from super human aliens and genetically modified beings so I dont think its fair to dismiss his training vs something that is barely touched on in the current SW canon. Wookies are scary. So are Klingons and Augments.

I'd say that's pretty much a wash at best. The Star Wars galaxy (especially during the time Solo is alive) is simply a more dangerous place compared to the Federation.

Kirk also is a proven pilot and has maneuvers named after him. He is very adaptable and also uses his surroundings to his advantage. He isnt a slouch even if he does in the chair.

We've basically never seen Kirk pilot a small craft (except for possibly in the Kelvin verse?), so while he's likely an excellent Starship pilot, as I previously said, if it was fighter craft or small craft (small freighters, etc), Solo is at a huge advantage here.

I'd say that at best, Kirk and Solo are equal pilots, if not Solo being the obvious superior pilot.

Mind you Star Wars ships teleport around with hyperdrive so there is always an in universe advantage in SW.

Hyperdrive is exponentially faster than Warp Speed, so yes, that definitely gives Solo another advantage - though I prefer to assume they're using the same or similar technology when comparing them. I assume you were being hyperbolic with "Teleport around", but just in case people are less familiar with Star Wars, Hyperdrive does not utilize teleportation.