do you also think that programmed malfunctions in computers does exist?

Guillaume_L

do you also think that programmed malfunctions in computers does exist?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. do you also think that programmed malfunctions in computers does exist?

• yes
    • no

Are you talking backdoors, cheats in programs or glitches that impede normal workflow of the program?

Because if so; yes.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Are you talking about malfunctions programmed on purpose? Or backwoods for the NSA? 100% on that. But not on purpose is very unlikely but it has happened.

really depends on what you mean here, i dont think there is a dude with a button that can nuke all computers

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Never have I ever met a professional developer whose goal wasn't to write the best software that they possibly could.

If by programmed you mean "Failed to find an accidentally introduced bug" then yes. That happens all the time.

If, on the other hand, you mean "Purposefully put security holes in software" then no. The Federal Government wouldn't have had to expend so much money and energy forcing service providers to funnel your communications to them if they simply had a "backdoor" already built in to every device.

Just look at the Microsoft HoloLens employee strike/petition/whateritis. If these companies were having developers do that kind of thing, we would have heard about it.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Well, sometimes there's planned obsolescence (which is mostly illegal) so from that point of view, yes.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

On 2/26/2019 at 7:14 PM, Minibois said:

Are you talking backdoors, cheats in programs or glitches that impede normal workflow of the program?

Because if so; yes.

yes that is what i am talking about

On 2/26/2019 at 7:21 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

really depends on what you mean here, i dont think there is a dude with a button that can nuke all computers

no i don't think that, but i suppose some electronic things are programmed to fail at a certain point 

On 2/26/2019 at 7:39 PM, straight_stewie said:

Never have I ever met a professional developer whose goal wasn't to write the best software that they possibly could.

If by programmed you mean "Failed to find an accidentally introduced bug" then yes. That happens all the time.

If, on the other hand, you mean "Purposefully put security holes in software" then no. The Federal Government wouldn't have had to expend so much money and energy forcing service providers to funnel your communications to them if they simply had a "backdoor" already built in to every device.

Just look at the Microsoft HoloLens employee strike/petition/whateritis. If these companies were having developers do that kind of thing, we would have heard about it.

well i think some devices are programmed, we had a HP oficejet printer and every single time 2 days after the guarantee ended (4 times in a row) it broke down and started malfunctioning.

2 minutes ago, Guillaume_L said:

well i think some devices are programmed, we had a HP oficejet printer and every single time 2 days after the guarantee ended (4 times in a row) it broke down and started malfunctioning.

>HP printer

>expecting it to work properly

>top kek.jpg

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

21 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

You mean something like this?

/shrug

no that isn't what i meant 

3 minutes ago, Guillaume_L said:

That could just be plain old poor design. Or even luck.

I've had two HP printers for over half a decade now and both are going strong.

16 minutes ago, Guillaume_L said:

no i don't think that, but i suppose some electronic things are programmed to fail at a certain point 

you mean like stuff thats made to break? sure there are probably some things designed like that, ink for printers "runs out" way before its out for one

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

41 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you mean like stuff thats made to break? sure there are probably some things designed like that, ink for printers "runs out" way before its out for one

Cough And iPhone. Cough

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, Guillaume_L said:

yes that is what i am talking about

I think it's pretty clear some items are designed to not work after a period of time and backdoors are installed in some programs when requested by .. Certain governmental authorities. That much is obvious.

53 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

The ink running out is partially because printers feel the need to clean themselves when not having printed in a couple seconds (more like after it sat still for a week). Cleaning happens with ink.. thus you will almost never be able to get the 'promised' amount of pages.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yeah. Fallout 1 is programmed to fail to install on Windows ME do the windows 95 logo would be allowed.  

They do exist. As a specific example, various games would break in ways if it detected they were a pirated copy. Examples include:

• Earthbound would ramp up the difficulty up to flat out crashing and erasing your saves once you got to a certain point.
  • Spyro 3 subtly removed key in-game items so you couldn't continue
  • Operation Flashpoint would progressively make the game unplayable
  • Serious Sam 3: BFE included an invincible pink man-scorpion that followed you everywhere
  • Batman Arkham Asylum would make Batman's glide ability not work
  • Game Developer Simulator would cause people to pirate your company's games to the point where your company goes bankrupt
    • This was actually a separate version of the game that was deliberately distributed by the developers over torrent sites.

If you're asking if hardware itself can be programmed to malfunction, a lot of sensitive devices that use cryptography will "break" if it detects certain parameters.

Edited by Mira Yurizaki

1 hour ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Game Developer Simulator would cause people to pirate your company's games to the point where your company goes bankrupt

That's got to be the absolute best anti-piracy policy for a game that I've ever heard.

Are you aware of a safe way to put the game into anti-piracy mode?

23 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

That could just be plain old poor design. Or even luck.

I've had two HP printers for over half a decade now and both are going strong.

well that means i'am the most unlucky person HP printers ever known ;-( 

23 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yes if forgot that, i had that too with my printers. but i just discovered (for belgium) it is illegal and those societies get pursuit in belgium.

sorry for my poorly formed senescence 

22 hours ago, wasab said:

Cough And iPhone. Cough

certainly when a new one comes out you notice that your iphone starts to slow down, such a hazard isn't it? ?

1 hour ago, straight_stewie said:

Are you aware of a safe way to put the game into anti-piracy mode?

The developers purposely allowed their game to be pirated by way of a honey pot torrent. So I take that back, the game doesn't know it was pirated, it was just another version of the game. :P

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The developers purposely allowed their game to be pirated by way of a honey pot torrent. So I take that back, the game doesn't know it was pirated, it was just another version of the game. :P

2 years ago i instaled a 'perfectly legal' (cracked) version of camtasia studio 9, and the crack was made by techsmitch (also the maker of the program themselves) is that something a lot of programs does or....

1 minute ago, Guillaume_L said:

2 years ago i instaled a 'perfectly legal' (cracked) version of camtasia studio 9, and the crack was made by techsmitch (also the maker of the program themselves) is that something a lot of programs does or....

Only if they want their program to go freeware.