Newell: EA on steam machines would be fine

MzCatieB

Quote: 

"We're trying to make it as open as possible," Newell said. "If EA wants to put Origin on it, that would be fine"

Pic:

Gabe_Newell.jpg

Article:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-01-16-newell-ea-origin-on-steam-machines-would-be-fine

I like this :3

also checked, couldn't see any other posts on this so....

Character artist in the Games industry.

Good Guy GabeN.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

so i can play battlefield on my steam box now...

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

that's pretty cool.

He kind of already promise this last year, UPlay was mention too IIRC.

It a full OS not a OS version of Steam.

Anyway it's Linux so it's not like no one would mod it.

Very good. Now gaming will be possible on Linux and M$ is fucked over

MS won't be fucked over in this decade, or even the next.

Personally, I wish that Origin and Steam and any other DRM clients would just die. Or at the very least, give me the option to download and run my games without that crap.

I actually quite like the Steam client, I'm not a fan of Origin or Uplay however, and I don't understand why they needed to create their own, it doesn't spur competition or anything. That and I hate cluttering my PC with 3 different game clients, I own multiple games through each.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

Personally, I wish that Origin and Steam and any other DRM clients would just die. Or at the very least, give me the option to download and run my games without that crap.

The way Valve does DRM is actually not very detrimental to the user at all. When you buy a game on Steam, it generates a custom executable tied to your account that you download. Assuming you're logged into your account the first time you log into the game, Steam will fetch the keys and store them somewhere on your computer. After this point you never have to be connected to the internet to play your game, but it also insures you can't just copy the game to a flash drive and hand it to your friend. Because Steam is the only program that knows how to decode the game using the key, and the key is specific to your account, even sending the key file wouldn't be any good. (When that window pops up and says "Starting xxx... when you try to play a game it's actually decoding it)

yeah okay. 

iMac 27in. @ 4.3GHz l 32GB Ram l 512GB Flash l GTX 780M 

Mac Pro @ 3.5GHz 6 Core l 64GB Ram l 512GB PCIe Flash l Dual AMD FirePro D700

Any news for Blizzard on SteamOS?

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

now only if EA Ubisoft and Blizzard ditched their content manangers for steam, the world would be a glorious place

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

I actually quite like the Steam client, I'm not a fan of Origin or Uplay however, and I don't understand why they needed to create their own, it doesn't spur competition or anything. That and I hate cluttering my PC with 3 different game clients, I own multiple games through each.

part of me feels like origin is actually more polished than steam. Don't get me wrong, I love steam and big picture, but I see a bunch of little bugs that annoy me. I also like the lighter theme of origin.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

The way Valve does DRM is actually not very detrimental to the user at all. When you buy a game on Steam, it generates a custom executable tied to your account that you download. Assuming you're logged into your account the first time you log into the game, Steam will fetch the keys and store them somewhere on your computer. After this point you never have to be connected to the internet to play your game, but it also insures you can't just copy the game to a flash drive and hand it to your friend. Because Steam is the only program that knows how to decode the game using the key, and the key is specific to your account, even sending the key file wouldn't be any good. (When that window pops up and says "Starting xxx... when you try to play a game it's actually decoding it)

You guys explined to me that you are fanboys of Steam and how DRM clients work (something that I already know) However, none of that changes how I feel about them. I still wish I can run all of my games by their own, and I still think that UPlay, Origin, Steam and whatever else needs to just die in The Great Pit of Carkoon and get eaten by a sarlacc.

It doesn't change it's still DRM. If I have to have DRM, I'll take Steam, but I would rather no DRM.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Yea all of the games just have to be recoded to run on linux whoo (dont see that happenning any time soon)

part of me feels like origin is actually more polished than steam. Don't get me wrong, I love steam and big picture, but I see a bunch of little bugs that annoy me. I also like the lighter theme of origin.

You're right about the lighter theme. Steam needs a serious redesign to fix the mess... Big picture is a good start but there's flaws than could have been avoided.

You're right about the lighter theme. Steam needs a serious redesign to fix the mess... Big picture is a good start but there's flaws than could have been avoided.

Yeah, i like big picture, but the steam store is just a freaking website. And if i try to maximize on my 2nd screen, it still uses the resolution of my first screen and there are no close buttons visible. Bugs like that ruin the experience. But I have to admit, there's no better feeling that looking at your library in tiles mode when you have 50+ games.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Well when I cant backup the 2 games I have on there somethings wrong in my opinion especially when they say you can backup your games.

Microsoft makes a large portion of their money on the OS from enterprise and other consumer grade machines, not custom built PCs running OEM versions of Windows. I doubt this will impact much. Especially since they have other ventures like MS Office, the Xbox, and Windows Phone

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

You guys explined to me that you are fanboys of Steam and how DRM clients work (something that I already know) However, none of that changes how I feel about them. I still wish I can run all of my games by their own, and I still think that UPlay, Origin, Steam and whatever else needs to just die in The Great Pit of Carkoon and get eaten by a sarlacc.

You can be a fan of what Steam does without being a fanboy. And it's perfectly okay that you hate Steam, Origin, etc. Personally, I'm fine with Steam, I think the features it provides (automatically patching/updating games, having an easy-to-access digitial backup of my games, etc.) offsets the fact that a fraction of my games require internet connectivity to start up. (Crysis 1 does, but Crysis 2 doesn't. Weird). I suppose in a perfect world we could have those benefits without the disadvantages, but there's quite a few people who think the good outweigh the bad.

You can be a fan of what Steam does without being a fanboy. And it's perfectly okay that you hate Steam, Origin, etc. Personally, I'm fine with Steam, I think the features it provides (automatically patching/updating games, having an easy-to-access digitial backup of my games, etc.) offsets the fact that a fraction of my games require internet connectivity to start up. (Crysis 1 does, but Crysis 2 doesn't. Weird). I suppose in a perfect world we could have those benefits without the disadvantages, but there's quite a few people who think the good outweigh the bad.

I'd agree with you on that, I also love how it keeps all my games in one area, brings all my mates into one list and eases joining games and such. Not to mention the sales.

I "deal" with the DRM as its never an issue for me, I'm pretty much always online and if I wasn't I went into offline mode and all the games I wanted to worked.

I do think the stock theme is pretty crap, but you can find different themes to make it look a bit nicer. I'm using PixelVision, but there are quite a lot of them.

It's good to see that it will be really open, its just another feature that is to show that whilst the steam machines are going to a more "console" experience, they are still fully fledged PCs too.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Any news for Blizzard on SteamOS?

Blizzard announced a while back that at least one of their games will have a native linux version. Can't remember which one though. 

Blizzard's games run almost flawlessly on PlayonLinux/Wine already. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2