Newell: EA on steam machines would be fine

MzCatieB

Blizzard announced a while back that at least one of their games will have a native linux version. Can't remember which one though. 

Blizzard's games run almost flawlessly on PlayonLinux/Wine already. 

I don't think they ever did announce what game of theirs would be coming to Linux. I'm guessing its going to be Hearthstone first though, seeing as it was made in unity.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

I don't think they ever did announce what game of theirs would be coming to Linux. I'm guessing its going to be Hearthstone first though, seeing as it was made in unity.

Yeah, possibly. 

Also http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI2ODE They do have World of Warcraft running natively on Linux, but it's only internally. 

Most MMOs have no real trouble running on Linux. GW2 has an OS X client, and has a Gold rating on Wine's AppDB. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Yeah, possibly. 

Also http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI2ODE They do have World of Warcraft running natively on Linux, but it's only internally. 

Most MMOs have no real trouble running on Linux. GW2 has an OS X client, and has a Gold rating on Wine's AppDB. 

Guess I forgot about WoW running on Linux. Oops.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

This was known but I suppose it's good to hear it from the horse's mouth. There is a reasonable chance that EA may test the linux waters with Origin on linux. Valve is afraid that Microsoft is going to eventually control content via their own Windows store. The question is does EA share those same fears about origin. They probably do, but unlike Valve EA does not rely on the PC platform. In terms of us gamers on the long run it is better to have origin and Steam in control of the content delivery systems simply because EA and Valve are (and will probably always be) more in touch with gaming than Microsoft.

Personally, I wish that Origin and Steam and any other DRM clients would just die. Or at the very least, give me the option to download and run my games without that crap.

Steam has the option to not use the DRM. But the vast majority of devs (including Valve themselves) choose to use the DRM. There are DRM free games on steam but they are in the minority. I can't see that changing anytime soon; most devs want some kind of protection especially considering the historical issues devs have faced with piracy. Personally i'm ok with Steam as it allows me to play my games in offline mode.

Also I don't want to go back to the days of everyone saying PC gaming is dying, I don't want to go back to the days of scratched discs, of serial keys, of paying 60USD for games, of having to pirate because I don't have access to the games I want, of not being able to buy older games because they are not on the shelves anymore, of every single dev implementing their own horrible DRM scheme.

That's just me so personally steam has solved a lot of problems for me when I compare myself to the gamer I was 10 years ago... so I really do not want steam to die. As for Origin; well we don't want steam to be a monopoly do we?

You can be a fan of what Steam does without being a fanboy. And it's perfectly okay that you hate Steam, Origin, etc. Personally, I'm fine with Steam, I think the features it provides (automatically patching/updating games, having an easy-to-access digitial backup of my games, etc.) offsets the fact that a fraction of my games require internet connectivity to start up. (Crysis 1 does, but Crysis 2 doesn't. Weird). I suppose in a perfect world we could have those benefits without the disadvantages, but there's quite a few people who think the good outweigh the bad.

Actually in the Steam case I see a lot of fanboys. Putting EA and Valve aside, and examining the DRM clients themselves alone (Origin and Steam) from an unbiased standpoint, they practically offer the same exact features. Yet many PC gamers hate Origin like it's the work of the Devil, and cherish Steams like it's a gift from God.

This my friend is fanboyism.

Personally however, I am a fair person, so I hate Steam and Origin equally. That being said I do hate UPlay a bit more since it has given me game crashes more than both Steam and Origin. 

EA gets a lot of hate that's a known fact. For example if a news story comes out about some charity work that EA is doing most people will say EA is trying to change their image or something to that effect, rather than commending them.

This is old news, or semi.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Actually in the Steam case I see a lot of fanboys. Putting EA and Valve aside, and examining the DRM clients themselves alone (Origin and Steam) from an unbiased standpoint, they practically offer the same exact features. Yet many PC gamers hate Origin like it's the work of the Devil, and cherish Steams like it's a gift from God.

Personally however, I am a fair person, so I hate Steam and Origin equally. That being said I do hate UPlay a bit more since it has given me game crashes more than both Steam and Origin. 

Well, I won't disagree with that. Personally, I'm fine with Origin too, although admittedly I haven't used it a whole lot since I only use it for Origin exclusives. I can understand not wanting to use Origin if one is against supporting EA financially, but objectively the client does provide similar services to Steam.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/17025-origin-eula/

Anyone fell free to update me on it.

Blizzard announced a while back that at least one of their games will have a native linux version. Can't remember which one though. 

Blizzard's games run almost flawlessly on PlayonLinux/Wine already. 

Thanks for the info.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/17025-origin-eula/

Anyone fell free to update me on it.

>"Putting EA and Valve aside, and examining the DRM clients themselves alone"

Yeaaaah, no. I am not talking about the companies behind them, only the software itself. They do the same exact thing, and they are both, equally, annoying to me. 

As to who's the better company and got better policies, EA or Valve, that's a whole different thing. However, I got one thing to say about it: The fact that EA gives the option to refund your games if you don't like them (after a limited period of time) is actually pretty good, a feature that I find worthy of praise as much as Steam sales so really each got it's ups and downs (Note: I do not hate the Steam store website, I love it in fact. I just hate that I have to download the Steam client and run it every time I play a game I got from the Steam website)

Furthermore, I think this guy said it best:

Well in my 15 or so years of gaming I've never had anything pulled or on me or needed to have even worried about consumer rights. These things are usually put in the EULA as worst case scenarios and to cover their asses if pull something stupid. Even if I did get a game taken off of me, which I wouldn't, I would literally rather pay another $60 or just not deal with their company again than take them to court OR even bother to read the EULA.

So yeah, to me the Steam and Origin store both got it's disadvantages and advantages. I just wish that I can get games from their websites, and not have to deal with their annoying piece of crap DRM clients.

>"Putting EA and Valve aside, and examining the DRM clients themselves alone"

Well it is kind of linked to that, DRM from Steam get removed, only for Valve's game last I know.

So if Valve ever close Steam (which is pretty unlikely in the near future I know) you don't have to crack the games to play them.

But with the others that have DRM as far as everyone knows "too bad, not our problem anymore".

Well it is kind of linked to that, DRM from Steam get removed, only for Valve's game last I know.

So if Valve ever close Steam (which is pretty unlikely in the near future I know) you don't have to crack the games to play them.

But with the others that have DRM as far as everyone knows "too bad, not our problem anymore".

That's is completely irrelevant and got nothing to do with my point since:

A. (Unfortunately to me) Neither EA or Valve is going to shut down Origin or Steam; not in this decade or even the next.

B. Again, I am not talking about the companies behind them, only the software crap that I have to install.