Is this anti static bag necessary?

Siddhant Mishra
Go to solution Solved by Tamesh16,
1 minute ago, Siddhant Mishra said:

Gpu Has a backplate

some plastics can develop a charge especially if touching the right material, so thats why there is anti static bags, however, i would say that if the person wraps it in a bit of paper/cardboard first (most common non conductive thing) , it will be fine, 

otherwise, i would more be worried that mail doesnt throw it down a cliff 

trust me they can be very rough with boxes at times , so pack well, and avoid any form of shifting

I am buying an used gpu the person has no anti static bag ... that thing has to travel like 500-600 miles .. so will it be safe .. the person says that he’ll wrap it in sponge ?? Or bubble wrap ...

Just now, Slottr said:

No its not

So I said him use a bubble wrap and place it in. A shoe box.. will that be good?

42 minutes ago, Siddhant Mishra said:

So I said him use a bubble wrap and place it in. A shoe box.. will that be good?

This could go one of two ways. If he wraps it tightly and uses lots of bubble wrap to ensure that it's adequately padded, then uses foam, packing peanuts or bubble pack to stuff the shoebox so that it's firm and the sides can't be pressed in before finally covering the entire shoebox in packing tape to make sure it can't be punched right through (shoeboxes are very thin and flimsy), you're probably good.

If he doesn't do all that, there's a good chance you're boned. If it's even close to an expensive GPU, I would tell him to use a more suitable shipping box. If he's US based, he can get free Priority Mail shipping boxes from his local post office.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Not a fan of direct contact between PCB and bubble wrap but if it doesn't rub a lot it should be OK. I haven't had anything die when shipped to me like that but an anti static bag is always the best option when shipping exposed PCBs 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Not a fan of direct contact between PCB and bubble wrap but if it doesn't rub a lot it should be OK. I haven't had anything die when shipped to me like that but an anti static bag is always the best option when shipping exposed PCBs 

Gpu Has a backplate

2 minutes ago, Siddhant Mishra said:

Gpu Has a backplate

33 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

This could go one of two ways. If he wraps it tightly and uses lots of bubble wrap to ensure that it's adequately padded, then uses foam, packing peanuts or bubble pack to stuff the shoebox so that it's firm and the sides can't be pressed in before finally covering the entire shoebox in packing tape to make sure it can't be punched right through (shoeboxes are very thin and flimsy), you're probably good.

If he doesn't do all that, there's a good chance you're boned. If it's even close to an expensive GPU, I would tell him to use a more suitable shipping box. If he's US based, he can get free Priority Mail shipping boxes from his local post office.

It’s an rx 580. 

1 minute ago, Siddhant Mishra said:

Gpu Has a backplate

some plastics can develop a charge especially if touching the right material, so thats why there is anti static bags, however, i would say that if the person wraps it in a bit of paper/cardboard first (most common non conductive thing) , it will be fine, 

trust me they can be very rough with boxes at times , so pack well, and avoid any form of shifting

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

5 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

Ok so well wrapped in newspaper followed by bubble wrap.  Considering this if the mail dudes handle it slightly rough will it be fine?

32 minutes ago, Siddhant Mishra said:

It’s an rx 580. 

I literally shipped a similer GPU, the 300 version, without a bag.

I packed it well with leftover amazon packing and it got there just fine and worked.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Paper works well as a substitute to anti static bag

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold