What do you use for your desk setup?

KaminKevCrew

I was just curious what everyone uses for their desk setups.

Use JRiver Media Center for my music player, and actually have windows directed to it as the default audio device, so that I can always use WASAPI through my Schiit Jotunheim. 

The Jotunheim runs my HE-560s through the balanced XLR jack, predominantly, though I do also have it running through a SMPro MPatch V2 to a pair of LSR305s in case I feel like listening to some speakers! (I would post a photo, but my desk is currently a mess of cables, so that will have to wait...)

So, what does everyone else use? Also, what do you usually use as the source for your music? (CDs, Spotify, etc.)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

3 minutes ago, hypeftwmlg said:

Spotify for certain songs for my PS4 and YouTube for everything else I also use  Spotify for podcasts like the Misfits and Drunks&Dragons

Cool! What do you usually use for listening? (e.g. what speakers/headphones/whatever?)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Spotify, Tidal and Soundcloud

Focal Elex
THX AAA 789 Linear Amp

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

2 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Cool! What do you usually use for listening? (e.g. what speakers/headphones/whatever?)

A pair of earbuds that came with a phone because my good ones broke

Simply have my hyper cloud II hooked up to the usb dac that comes with it. I also have some sennheiser pc37x that I use sometimes but it's sorta loud where I live so the open back headphones really let in too much outside noise. 

40 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I use Youtube most of the time, if its a simple music file (MP3) i'll use windows media player [as I dont really use many of them files] and for video files VLC

As for listening if im using my xbox or ps4 or its late (people in the house) I use my Logitech G231 Headset, through either the headset port on the controllers or the AUX port on my Corsair ST100 if im using my PC. 

If it isnt late or noone is here I use my "mashed together" speaker system which consists of a the Z506 Sub, Centre speaker, and front left and right speakers. then the surround speakers are ones that were for a older speaker system and i use them as the z506 surround speakers would not fit inside of my desk (i have a corner desk)

41 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

I use Youtube most of the time, if its a simple music file (MP3) i'll use windows media player [as I dont really use many of them files] and for video files VLC

As for listening if im using my xbox or ps4 or its late (people in the house) I use my Logitech G231 Headset, through either the headset port on the controllers or the AUX port on my Corsair ST100 if im using my PC. 

If it isnt late or noone is here I use my "mashed together" speaker system which consists of a the Z506 Sub, Centre speaker, and front left and right speakers. then the surround speakers are ones that were for a older speaker system and i use them as the z506 surround speakers would not fit inside of my desk (i have a corner desk)

I recently acquired a PS4. For the controller headset port, do I need a 4 pole TRS jack, or can I get away with a standard 3 pole one (I'm not in need of being able to use a mic)?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

1 minute ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I recently acquired a PS4. For the controller headset port, do I need a 4 pole TRS jack, or can I get away with a standard 3 pole one (I'm not in need of being able to use a mic)?

it should work with both, just turned my ps4 on and both my headset and a old pair of earphones worked in it, the older pair does not have a mic attached 

7 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

it should work with both, just turned my ps4 on and both my headset and a old pair of earphones worked in it, the older pair does not have a mic attached 

Awesome, thanks!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I use Creative X7 as my DAC and headphone amp for my Beyer T1. Line out from the X7 goes to my Onkyo A-905FX2 speaker amp powering the Onkyo D-152E bookshelves.

Most of the time i encode to 5.1 DTS Connect over to toslink to my 7.1 surround AVR, but for pure listening pleasure i have an Oppo HA-1 dac/amp with a balanced XLR cable going to Oppo PM-1 planar magnetic cans. 

For gaming with voice chat i use a Mayflower ARC DAC/ADC/amp with AKG K7XX headphones and a Modmic 5. 

On the smaller rig I have a Schiit Fulla 2 with Sennheiser HD6XX cans. 

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

I use iTunes for my player partly because it syncs across all my devices and partly because I have been for 15 years. I generally download/buy from many different sources, then upload to iTunes.

At my desk I mostly just use my Edifier bookshelf speakers, but if I want to get serious I plug in my HE-1000 V2's. Both the 1000's and speakers use my multibit Lyr 3 as a dac+preamp/amp (the speakers are powered). I have the Tung-Sol tube in the Lyr 3.

Though generally if I just want to listen to music I'll listen on my big speaker setup in the living room which consists of: Magnepan 1.7i's powered by a Schiit Vidar and a decent Yamaha receiver to act as a dac and sub out for dual subs. It doesn't match the HE-1000's in terms of pure accuracy and detail, but I find it more enjoyable most of the time.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

I listen to music from Tidal and as for the hardware, it's Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse as DAC/AMP and Focal Utopia headphones. 

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

11 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Use JRiver Media Center for my music player, and actually have windows directed to it as the default audio device, so that I can always use WASAPI through my Schiit Jotunheim. 

The Jotunheim runs my HE-560s through the balanced XLR jack, predominantly, though I do also have it running through a SMPro MPatch V2 to a pair of LSR305s in case I feel like listening to some speakers! (I would post a photo, but my desk is currently a mess of cables, so that will have to wait...)

So, what does everyone else use? Also, what do you usually use as the source for your music? (CDs, Spotify, etc.)

too much :/IMG_3786.thumb.JPG.352d234be14f15eacc5b17d5679f56ca.JPGIMG_3787.thumb.JPG.a9ccaf660dfdb3deb726242aef26fdb0.JPG

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

I get the vast majority of my music from CDs that I rip to .mp3 (328kbps) and .wav (the latter for archival). I'm between desktop rigs so I'm currently using my Lenovo notebook for playback.

The sound comes from a USB DAC (Dragonfly Red) that feeds my 5" JBL LSR305p MkII satellites and JBL LSR310s sub (I had a now discontinued Corsair SP2500 2.1 speaker system, which I liked better because it had a setting for Dynamic Range compression but the sub died last summer).

I'm still using Media Monkey Gold for my player but, since getting the JBLs, I need a player or a DAC that has Dynamic Range compression. I haven't found a DAC that had the compression but VLC Media Player does so I've recently started fooling around with that, trying to come up with settings that work for me. So far, I've found VLC's Normalizer works better for what I want (Windows also has a Normalizer but it won't work through the DAC) but I need to work on making new playlists and come up with an easier to use skin. VLC has the added advantage that I can keep using it when I switch over to Linux.

I'm already using VLC for playing movies.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

16 hours ago, Derkoli said:

too much :/

I wish I had that much space in my room for my desk. I'd have a much bigger one than I do now. Oh well. Once I move back up to Washington from San Francisco, I'll be looking into buying a house with enough space for a dedicated theater room, as well as a large office an dedicated listening room, haha! (San Francisco is just too expensive for that at this point.)

7 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I get the vast majority of my music from CDs that I rip to .mp3 (328kbps) and .wav (the latter for archival). I'm between desktop rigs so I'm currently using my Lenovo notebook for playback.

The sound comes from a USB DAC (Dragonfly Red) that feeds my 5" JBL LSR305p MkII satellites and JBL LSR310s sub (I had a now discontinued Corsair SP2500 2.1 speaker system, which I liked better because it had a setting for Dynamic Range compression but the sub died last summer).

I'm still using Media Monkey Gold for my player but, since getting the JBLs, I need a player or a DAC that has Dynamic Range compression. I haven't found a DAC that had the compression but VLC Media Player does so I've recently started fooling around with that, trying to come up with settings that work for me. So far, I've found VLC's Normalizer works better for what I want (Windows also has a Normalizer but it won't work through the DAC) but I need to work on making new playlists and come up with an easier to use skin. VLC has the added advantage that I can keep using it when I switch over to Linux.

I'm already using VLC for playing movies.

Do you like the LSR305 with the sub? I've been debating on getting the sub for about a month now and it'd be great to hear feedback from someone who has one!

6 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

snip...

Are the Edition X's worth buying? I've always loved the look and I'm thinking about adding a pair to my collection - I need to grab one of those RME DACs though. They look extremely cool!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

My desk setup for pleasure listening is:

Headphones

• Schiit Bifrost DAC
  • Sciiit Modi headphone amp
  • Shure SE846 earphones
  • Beyerdynamic DT770, 880 and 990
  • Sennheiser HD650

Speakers

• Denon AVR-2105 reciever
  • Pro-Ject 6 turntable (modified)
  • Luxman K-250 cassette deck
  • Denon DCD-655.
  • Quad S-2 speakers
  • Denon sub (can't remember the model number)

My source is usually my local music library playing through Foobar2000 with the WASPI plug-in.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

My desk setup for both work and fun is:

• RME ADI 2 DAC
  • Cavalli tube hybrid
  • AKG K612
  • Sennheiser HD 25
  • Sennheiser HD 580
  • Focal Elex
  • Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor
  • Genelec 8040

I mainly use the amp in the RME ADI 2 DAC, but the CTH is nice when I want a more relaxed sound.

My main source is my local music library and I use Foobar2000. So far I am pretty satisfied with this setup. I do also have a older 5.1 setup for movies, but there are 4 different brands in that and I can't remember any of the models.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

7 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

...Do you like the LSR305 with the sub? I've been debating on getting the sub for about a month now and it'd be great to hear feedback from someone who has one!...

I've been happy with it. While the 305s were able to play the lower notes (I listen mostly to classical music), they were weak and muddy. With the sub, those notes are now clean and crisp and don't need excessive boosting. I did have to do some fooling around with the EQ in my player program to get the sound right.

Keep in mind the the sub is huge so placement may be a problem. The usual location for a sub on a computer setup is in the kneehole of the desk. In my case, there wouldn't be room for my knees and feet if I had put the sub there. Since I wasn't planning on parting with my knees and feet anytime soon, I had to relocate the sub.

According to JBL, the ideal location for the sub is between the centerline between the satellites and the left satellite speaker. The closest I could come to that was with the left side of the sub under the center of the left satellite. That has worked well for me. I had to fool around with the settings to get a decent balance because the left satellite is in a corner, unlike the right satellite. Despite the slightly less than ideal locations, I'm happy with the overall sound. 

If you like the bass heavy sound of a night club, there is a switch on the back of the sub that will boost the lower frequencies to give that sound (I didn't like it but that's a matter of personal taste). I feel it's a bit gimmicky since the same effect can be achieved by fooling around with the EQ.

Keep in mind that you have to have a decent sound source to hear any improvement in these speakers over cheaper ones. The onboard sound of modern MOBOs may give you that sound but you may have to invest in a DAC to get a decent sound (the Dragonfly Red is a bit pricey but it is a simple plug and play unit). You also have to be willing to fool with EQ settings on your player since the output of the speakers are flat by design.

Be sure to read the directions on how set up the speakers and sub to avoid possibly damaging them.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 2/3/2019 at 7:24 PM, KaminKevCrew said:

So, what does everyone else use?

Wrote it up back around Christmas:

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

12 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I wish I had that much space in my room for my desk. I'd have a much bigger one than I do now. Oh well. Once I move back up to Washington from San Francisco, I'll be looking into buying a house with enough space for a dedicated theater room, as well as a large office an dedicated listening room, haha! (San Francisco is just too expensive for that at this point.)

Do you like the LSR305 with the sub? I've been debating on getting the sub for about a month now and it'd be great to hear feedback from someone who has one!

Are the Edition X's worth buying? I've always loved the look and I'm thinking about adding a pair to my collection - I need to grab one of those RME DACs though. They look extremely cool!

its a full 16.2 setup now.. using auro 3D to decode it all. getting some new big three way speakers to replace the little ones at the fronts, also might be getting my hands on an SVS Pb 4000 sometime soon.. and yes my neighbours love me. All in a 10ft x 18ft room.. also got some monitor audio MR6 floor standers in my loft doing literally nothing as of right now.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

19 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

IMG_2206.thumb.JPG.050fb281ae7011c4557d124325d3069d.JPGIMG_1958.thumb.JPG.e094d041caa2e3b5b864cbf5d4be7d5e.JPGIMG_2081.thumb.JPG.f78fe7e46e0603860bba5ac3ea708340.JPGIMG_2119.thumb.JPG.ba9df798693e88f0888a97733bedaaf5.JPGIMG_2289.thumb.JPG.484041b3d1913d7494158edd4c48614f.JPGSS.jpg.7d251173749f16ab52c9812135a1836f.jpgIMG_2039.thumb.JPG.e2a5184b3da73858a0741c22daafce96.JPG

Love the diagrams, got some myself of audio stuff.. drivers, valve's, solid state amplifiers etc.

7 hours ago, Volbet said:

Omega S-2 speakers

Pictures? cant find anything on these on google.