What do you use for your desk setup?

KaminKevCrew
5 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I've been happy with it. While the 305s were able to play the lower notes (I listen mostly to classical music), they were weak and muddy. With the sub, those notes are now clean and crisp and don't need excessive boosting. I did have to do some fooling around with the EQ in my player program to get the sound right.

Keep in mind the the sub is huge so placement may be a problem. The usual location for a sub on a computer setup is in the kneehole of the desk. In my case, there wouldn't be room for my knees and feet if I had put the sub there. Since I wasn't planning on parting with my knees and feet anytime soon, I had to relocate the sub.

According to JBL, the ideal location for the sub is between the centerline between the satellites and the left satellite speaker. The closest I could come to that was with the left side of the sub under the center of the left satellite. That has worked well for me. I had to fool around with the settings to get a decent balance because the left satellite is in a corner, unlike the right satellite. Despite the slightly less than ideal locations, I'm happy with the overall sound. 

If you like the bass heavy sound of a night club, there is a switch on the back of the sub that will boost the lower frequencies to give that sound (I didn't like it but that's a matter of personal taste). I feel it's a bit gimmicky since the same effect can be achieved by fooling around with the EQ.

Keep in mind that you have to have a decent sound source to hear any improvement in these speakers over cheaper ones. The onboard sound of modern MOBOs may give you that sound but you may have to invest in a DAC to get a decent sound (the Dragonfly Red is a bit pricey but it is a simple plug and play unit). You also have to be willing to fool with EQ settings on your player since the output of the speakers are flat by design.

Be sure to read the directions on how set up the speakers and sub to avoid possibly damaging them.

For sure. I'm pretty well setup for now with a Schiit Jotunheim, and I just ordered the THX 789 on massdrop, not to mention I'll be grabbing an RME ADI2 here pretty soon. 

Thanks for the info!!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

44 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Pictures? cant find anything on these on google.

Fuck, I'm a moron. I mixed up two different things.

They're called Quad S-2 speakers.

quads2blackash.png

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

2 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Fuck, I'm a moron. I mixed up two different things.

They're called Quad S-2 speakers.

quads2blackash.png

Did wonder lol. How do they sound?

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

5 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Did wonder lol. How do they sound?

On their own they're honestly kinda boring. They are transparent almost to a fault.

You really need a subwoofer to spark some life into them, but once you do they're a pleasure.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

My setup's a bit odd. I use a Mackie Onyx Satellite from like 2008. It's firewire but it's 2x2 and works great still. My speakers are M-Audio Bx5a Deluxe's in red. My headphones are m40x's from Audio Techina. Overall it works and sounds good enough.

"Kieran just stole my girl!" - No-one

Discord: Kdog#7258