Are 4k TVs really worth it for 'casual' tv watching? lol

Msuni

So im looking to get a TV for my bedroom so i can lie in bed and watch stuff. I was thinking about getting a 4k samsung, but i would basically only use it for Netflix, YouTube and Prime Video (potentially to for my ps4 as well) Im wondering if getting a 4k tv is worth it due to what i will be doing with it, or if it would be better to just get a full HD one instead. Any suggestions and replies are much appreciated. :)

Unless you sit pretty close, like a few feet away, you will be fine with 1080p.

Also you need to have a good internet connection for 4k content.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Only makes sense if you gonna use 4k content, if you gonna keep watching at 1080p then obviously not.

I know it seems silly to say this but I see lots of people buying 4k tvs expecting to be amazed but uses cable TV at 1080i so yeah...

I think a 4k can be worth it but solid 1080p ones are still fine too.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Unless you sit pretty close, like a few feet away, you will be fine with 1080p.

Also you need to have a good internet connection for 4k content.

Thanks for the reply, I would be sitting on the other side of my room - so like 8ish ft away. I wouldnt be using it too too much any so i was just curious if they make a massive difference. :) Appreciate it!

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Only makes sense if you gonna use 4k content, if you gonna keep watching at 1080p then obviously not.

I know it seems silly to say this but I see lots of people buying 4k tvs expecting to be amazed but uses cable TV at 1080i so yeah...

I think a 4k can be worth it but solid 1080p ones are still fine too.

Thanks for the reply. And of course, a 4k TV would obviously cost more than a 1080p. It wouldnt get too too much use anway so i was just curious. :) I think I'll just go with a 1080p 

i have a 4k tv now for my room, it is nice for casual watching but everything is done through my computer, and while not casually watching it is a 50" 4k monitor so that might skew things n my end

Nothing to see here, move along

Well the price difference between full HD and 4k ones is not that big and TVs are usually somewhat of an investment that last a long time. And as time progresses, there will be much more casual 4k content to be enjoyed, so I personally feel that buying full HD TV nowadays is not the best thing to do. I personally have 4k OLED LG (obviously OLED tripled the price, though it is totally worth it for me) and I could not be happier.

yes it's worth it, compare a 4k tv to a 1080p display at the store and see for yourself, also like said before on the thread, good internet connection is a must, but for your ps4 not really, its not needed while playing games would be the same

If your internet connection is good (150+ down) then definitely yes, with 300/150 (in reality 322/130) it's an absolute dream

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Depends on how much you care about picture?

I don't really care so 720p is fine. All my panels happen to be 1080p though. I'm fine with them but I watch most content in 720p or 480p. Only when I need text clarity do I watch in 1080p. General consumption is less important to me though.

What size as well? almost every tv is 4k now, hard to even find 1080 unless it's a small tv. You're still getting a crisper/cleaner picture with anything you're watching. For just a bedroom TV I have a 50" insiginia tv that I use, and I have an LG C7 OLED in my living room for my 4k stuff. You don't have to buy high end for casual use. Just snag a 50" LG or Samsung for like $300-350.

2 hours ago, PacketMan said:

I'd say yes, it's worth it since 1080p TVs are not that cheap compared to the new 4K ones

You can always watch 4K HDR movies on your PS4 so... If it's that cheap go for 1080p, if not go for 4K

2 hours ago, Riddler356 said:

i have a 4k tv now for my room, it is nice for casual watching but everything is done through my computer, and while not casually watching it is a 50" 4k monitor so that might skew things n my end

2 hours ago, Ergroilnin said:

Well the price difference between full HD and 4k ones is not that big and TVs are usually somewhat of an investment that last a long time. And as time progresses, there will be much more casual 4k content to be enjoyed, so I personally feel that buying full HD TV nowadays is not the best thing to do. I personally have 4k OLED LG (obviously OLED tripled the price, though it is totally worth it for me) and I could not be happier.

2 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

As someone with a 4k tv it's not completely worth it unless you enjoy the content being offered at 4k that much.  Most companies are still pushing 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p content.  4k is far from the norm.  I have an xbo s hooked up to it which I use to watch 4k blurays.  But, a lot of the stuff I watch is 480p-1080p.  On the plus side, I at least can use it as a third monitor.  XD

1 hour ago, Pi31415 said:

yes it's worth it, compare a 4k tv to a 1080p display at the store and see for yourself, also like said before on the thread, good internet connection is a must, but for your ps4 not really, its not needed while playing games would be the same

1 hour ago, fpo said:

Depends on how much you care about picture?

I don't really care so 720p is fine. All my panels happen to be 1080p though. I'm fine with them but I watch most content in 720p or 480p. Only when I need text clarity do I watch in 1080p. General consumption is less important to me though.

1 hour ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

What size as well? almost every tv is 4k now, hard to even find 1080 unless it's a small tv. You're still getting a crisper/cleaner picture with anything you're watching. For just a bedroom TV I have a 50" insiginia tv that I use, and I have an LG C7 OLED in my living room for my 4k stuff. You don't have to buy high end for casual use. Just snag a 50" LG or Samsung for like $300-350.

Thank you very much for the replies, I'm just gonna go for a 49" 4k Samsung TV. :) Appreciate it!

1 hour ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

What size as well? almost every tv is 4k now, hard to even find 1080 unless it's a small tv.

unless you are at a best buy, in which case you can still find many 720p ones, my local best buy even has a 40" 720p for like $150

25 minutes ago, Riddler356 said:

unless you are at a best buy, in which case you can still find many 720p ones, my local best buy even has a 40" 720p for like $150

god no

it's your money, but technically 4k is only worth it if you will be in the 'sweet spot' to be physiologically capable of perceiving the higher resolution.

Basically, depending on screen size and your distance from it - quite often 4k is not 'worth it' at all because your eyes are not good enough to be able to resolve the difference. A good example I like to show people is with my TV - I have an old (2014) 75" 1080p model, and my normal viewing spot is about 12 feet away. At that distance, I would need a 92" TV to be able to literally see any detail benefit from going to 4k. 

PC monitors are another good example since generally people sit roughly 2.5 to 3 feet away, and on a 27" screen at that distance most humans CAN see the benefit of moving up from 1080 to 1440, but not at all from 1440 up to 4k. Our eyes are just not that good. If you were a fly or something maybe, but I'm pretty sure you're a human so nope.

Anyway this gives a good visual of distance to resolution benefits: optimal-viewing-distance-television-grap

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

57 minutes ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

it's your money, but technically 4k is only worth it if you will be in the 'sweet spot' to be physiologically capable of perceiving the higher resolution.

Basically, depending on screen size and your distance from it - quite often 4k is not 'worth it' at all because your eyes are not good enough to be able to resolve the difference. A good example I like to show people is with my TV - I have an old (2014) 75" 1080p model, and my normal viewing spot is about 12 feet away. At that distance, I would need a 92" TV to be able to literally see any detail benefit from going to 4k. 

PC monitors are another good example since generally people sit roughly 2.5 to 3 feet away, and on a 27" screen at that distance most humans CAN see the benefit of moving up from 1080 to 1440, but not at all from 1440 up to 4k. Our eyes are just not that good. If you were a fly or something maybe, but I'm pretty sure you're a human so nope.

Anyway this gives a good visual of distance to resolution benefits: optimal-viewing-distance-television-grap

i will say this..i sit about 7" from my 65"4k that i upgraded from a 72" 1080p (sat same distance) and i could see a huge difference between the 2.....even 1080 content looks better on the 4k (no up scaling)...720 content and lower thou you start seeing the grainy effect more and more as quality goes down

7 hours ago, circeseye said:

i will say this..i sit about 7" from my 65"4k that i upgraded from a 72" 1080p (sat same distance) and i could see a huge difference between the 2.....even 1080 content looks better on the 4k (no up scaling)...720 content and lower thou you start seeing the grainy effect more and more as quality goes down

yep that fits the chart - you're right in the middle of the '4k worth it' zone. Not sure how 1080p content would look any better than with a 1080p screen though since there aren't new pixels to display, though since the TV is smaller you're likely just not seeing the individual pixels as well which makes it look sharper.

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

12 hours ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

yep that fits the chart - you're right in the middle of the '4k worth it' zone. Not sure how 1080p content would look any better than with a 1080p screen though since there aren't new pixels to display, though since the TV is smaller you're likely just not seeing the individual pixels as well which makes it look sharper.

For me you explained it perfectly for when i swapped a 48" 1080p for a 50" 4k

I have a 43" 1080P TV I bought last summer and view from 10' away. I can't tell any difference between 720 and 1080. There sttill isn't a lot of 4k content out there.

There isn't a huge price difference between 1080s and 4k TVs. If getting something significantly larger than 43", it would be worth getting a 4k and waiting for the content to become more available. It's also hard to find 1080P TVs in larger sizes. The only 1080 I could find locally in 43" (the largest I had room for) and also had three HDMI inputs was a low end Insignia from Best Buy. I wanted 1080 because I clone my monitors with the TV.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!