ASUS Rolls Out G-Sync Upgrade Kit for VG248QE

qwertywarrior

http://www.techpowerup.com/196914/asus-rolls-out-g-sync-upgrade-kit-for-vg248qe.html

ASUS rolled out an upgrade kit that lets you retrofit your VG248QE monitor with NVIDIA G-Sync technology, letting you take advantage of the display's up to 144 Hz refresh rate for some incredibly smooth visuals (we've seen G-Sync in action ourselves, and it works like it should). The kit is a PCB with a handful of headers. You can either retrofit it into the monitor's body yourself (a DIY video is posted), or take the kit and your monitor to the nearest ASUS service center, and have them do it for you. The G-Sync kit is priced at US $199.

no_country_for_old_men_tommy_lee_jones.j

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Woah!

That is quite pricey!

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Woah!

That is quite pricey!

JJ from Asus that the G-Sync module ITSELF cost $200. Overpriced IMO.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

That price is kind of stupid...At that point you could just consider buying a new panel with it integrated if G-Sync becomes as huge as it's predicted. Maybe that's just me though...

Arc Midi R2 | ASUS M5A97r2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | EVGA GTX 780 FTW Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8gb | Corsair RM650w Gold | H100i Cooler | 128gb Samsung SSD | 2tb Seagate Barracuda | 3tb Seagate External

Peripherals: 23" Samsung SyncMaster2333 | Acer 27" 1080p | Corsair Vengenance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Logitech G602 | Razer Megalodon Headset | Vespula Gaming Pad

Woah!

That is quite pricey!

Buying the kit yourself from nvidia is $199.99 any how. Plus theyre installing it for you.

Buying the kit yourself from nvidia is $199.99 any how. Plus theyre installing it for you.

oh they actually install it for you? That's kinda cool but annoying at the same time because you will no doubt want to have you send your monitor somewhere obscure like the US....

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

No way. For 200 I can get another Korean 1440p

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

WOW If that is how Nvidia will install it for you, screw that. He half assed that entire tutorial.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Blech. I think I'll wait a year or two and wait for the early adopter tax to go away. Of course, by then I'll probably just want to pick up a new monitor rather than the kit. And with any luck, by then we'll find out whether free-sync will actually be a thing or if it's any good.

i inb4'd this weeks ago... people said i was crazy :P

whos-laughing-now-bitch.jpg

Yep. Not worth it, in the uk this g-sync monitor currently available for £441 which is $720. For that price, you may as well just buy a new high-end gpu. If you bought a 780 that'd be about £400 (the cheapest 780 is £379, but i figured £400 was a good average) in the uk, leaving £41 or $67 (or £62, $101 if you bought the cheapest 780) to spend on something else. Hell, let's talk about the 290. That averages at about £330 ($539), you'd save £111 ($181), which come on, there is no reason for the average pc gamer to buy the monitor over a 290 considering the price difference.

The G-Sync monitor is in the price range of people who already have the best PC component's there is, but they'd have no use for this (other than bragging rights). Yet i feel like they're aiming this at people who have crappy PC's... Nvidia, it isn't going to happen. If people with crappy pc's had £441 to throw around, they wouldn't have a crappy PC, would they?

I simply can't justify why anyone would spend £440 on a monitor when I could spend considerably less on upgrading my current system which would give the same results.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

my kit will be arriving in a few hours.  im really surprised how many people on not only this forum, but many others are complaining about it being $200.  what im not surprised about is majority of them are AMD users.

seriously guys, if $200 is breaking the bank for you, then Gsync isnt gonna be for you, and you may want to find a different hobby, cause being involved in technology and computers IS expensive.

also, saying "psh at that price you may as well buy a new GPU" is really really stupid.  buying 15 new gpus wouldnt do the same thing as gsync.  

i could be playing bf4 on a gtx 670 and have a much smoother experience than someone with CF 290xs .  better gpu =/= gsync.

my kit will be arriving in a few hours.  im really surprised how many people on not only this forum, but many others are complaining about it being $200.  what im not surprised about is majority of them are AMD users.

seriously guys, if $200 is breaking the bank for you, then Gsync isnt gonna be for you, and you may want to find a different hobby, cause being involved in technology and computers IS expensive.

also, saying "psh at that price you may as well buy a new GPU" is really really stupid.  buying 15 new gpus wouldnt do the same thing as gsync.  

i could be playing bf4 on a gtx 670 and have a much smoother experience than someone with CF 290xs .  better gpu =/= gsync.

Ive try AMDr9 290x battlefield runs like a champ. i have 780ti and G-Sync is just retard. i rather wait until becomes a standard with the next iteration of DisplayPort. You think the Asus VG248QE its up to for a replacement of my Dell U2413? I rarely see  it enhances your gaming experience but does not having g-sync gaming is not worth it?. How about the kid that just play with a cheaper panel? i rather just get a $200 headphones.

Ive try AMDr9 290x battlefield runs like a champ. i have 780ti and G-Sync is just retard. i rather wait until becomes a standard with the next iteration of DisplayPort. You think the Asus VG248QE its up to for a replacement of my Dell U2413? I rarely see  it enhances your gaming experience but does not having g-sync gaming is not worth it?. How about the kid that just play with a cheaper panel? i rather just get a $200 headphones.

cool, good for you.  it doesnt change the fact that people using gsync will be having a smoother, better gaming experience regardless.  and where does this idea that if you have a 780ti gsync is pointless.  if you guys want to wait around for and undisclosed amount of time for something that isnt finalized, and is merely a proof of concept be my guest.  i prefer to put my money into tangible, working things, especially when the get such high praise from everyone who has seen and used them.

i replaced a catleap and a dell ultrasharp with a vg248qe.  i have a much better time gaming on it, than either of those to screens.  but this is just me, meaning if i like a TN panel, not everyone else will.   this is a concept that seems to be hard for a lot of people on various forums to understand.

cool, good for you.  it doesnt change the fact that people using gsync will be having a smoother, better gaming experience regardless.  and where does this idea that if you have a 780ti gsync is pointless.  if you guys want to wait around for and undisclosed amount o every time for something that isnt finalized, and is merely a proof of concept be my guest.  i prefer to put my money into tangible, working things, especially when the get such high praise from everyone who has seen and used them.

i replaced a catleap and a dell ultrasharp with a vg248qe.  i have a much better time gaming on it, than either of those to screens.  but this is just me, meaning if i like a TN panel, not everyone else will.   this is a concept that seems to be hard for a lot of people on various forums to understand.

i have a 780ti. And Gsync is retard just like 4k now. Why? You get the smothines for a silly price. for one second forget your monitor and what you have to drop $700 The monitor + gsync you think 700 is worth it for only gsync? is better throw a second 780ti have double performance in almost every game and later throw $300 for a panel ips or a top tn with Dynamic Refresh Rate. For you is better now to throw $200 for Gsync. I know is great but not for everyone.

Admittedly, the Asus monitor might not make a lot of sense for your situation, but I think a decent 1440p monitor with g-sync definitely would. Assuming the g-sync premium was a bit lower, of course...

EDIT: Also, I think it's still very early to be assuming that the next iteration of DisplayPort will fix everything to the extent g-sync does. But hey, some people want to wait for free-sync and some people like myself want to wait for better prices. It's all the same in the end, I suppose. We'll all just wait and see~

i have a 780ti. And Gsync is retard just like 4k now. Why? You get the smothines for a silly price. for one second forget your monitor and what you have to drop $700 The monitor + gsync you think 700 is worth it for only gsync? is better throw a second 780ti have double performance in almost every game and later throw $300 for a panel ips or a top tn with Dynamic Refresh Rate. For you is better now to throw $200 for Gsync. I know is great but not for everyone.

again, getting quad 780tis still wont equate to what gsync does.  its just not the same.  also, my vg248qe cost me around $300 when i got it close to a year ago.  the gsync module cost me 248 with overnight shipping.   i fail to see how it cost me $700.

an ips panel without gsync is not comparable to a TN panel with gsync.  both serve different purposes.

again, getting quad 780tis still wont equate to what gsync does.  its just not the same.  also, my vg248qe cost me around $300 when i got it close to a year ago.  the gsync module cost me 248 with overnight shipping.   i fail to see how it cost me $700.

an ips panel without gsync is not comparable to a TN panel with gsync.  both serve different purposes

Ok, i prefer dual 780ti, but still $500 its a lot thought (for me that kind of money is for a premium display). Also i prefer a better display due my work and not just for gaming. but i hoping someone ends up putting DRR with some kind of Add-on later on.

That's the price of my monitor :L

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

Ok, i prefer dual 780ti, but still $500 its a lot thought (for me that kind of money is for a premium display). Also i prefer a better display due my work and not just for gaming. but i hoping someone ends up putting DRR with some kind of Add-on later on.

right, so obviously a TN panel designed for gaming isnt for you.  i used to be into animation and photoshop, and i know how drastic a difference in color there is between TN and other types of monitors.  but considering that i dont have a job in art anymore, a IPS panel just doesnt suit my needs anymore, which is why i sold them and picked up this TN.

$200 is pretty expensive imo as you can get another 1080p monitor for that price.

i dont understand why people keep saying this.  buying a 200 dollar monitor is in no way shape or form a better option than buying a gsync monitor.  

buying a new video card is not better than getting gsync.  the ways people are talking themselves out of gsync are really really stupid, especially considering we are talking about gaming computers which typically cost well upwards of $1000..........i fail to see how paying $200 to upgrade your monitor is a bad choice.