ASUS Rolls Out G-Sync Upgrade Kit for VG248QE

qwertywarrior

i dont understand why people keep saying this.  buying a 200 dollar monitor is in no way shape or form a better option than buying a gsync monitor.  

buying a new video card is not better than getting gsync.  the ways people are talking themselves out of gsync are really really stupid, especially considering we are talking about gaming computers which typically cost well upwards of $1000..........i fail to see how paying $200 to upgrade your monitor is a bad choice.  

I think the problem is several factors either combined or alone:

A. Its not free.

B. Misunderstanding of what G-Sync is and does.

C. Its not AMD.

D. They have no use for it, so can't see anyone else using it.

E. They may not have the money, so they shit on other people.

I wouldn't personally buy it, but I see the market for it. I have kind of stopped playing fps a lot recently accept for chivalry and occasionally planetside 2. 

i dont understand why people keep saying this.  buying a 200 dollar monitor is in no way shape or form a better option than buying a gsync monitor.  

buying a new video card is not better than getting gsync.  the ways people are talking themselves out of gsync are really really stupid, especially considering we are talking about gaming computers which typically cost well upwards of $1000..........i fail to see how paying $200 to upgrade your monitor is a bad choice.  

Well I would like to have another monitor as it is way more useful for my use and I don't game alot so there's no point in getting G-Sync. It might be not useful for me but it may be useful to others who want to improve their monitor but the price isn't that attracting imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I wouldn't personally buy it, but I see the market for it. I have kind of stopped playing fps a lot recently accept for chivalry and occasionally planetside 2. 

Thats the thing, it isn't just for FPS gaming. I play several flight sims, the main one is a heavily modded FSX. Anyone here that plays it modded can tell you its brutal on frames. Its a flight sim, not FPS, but its old enough and in 32bit (and its like there was no optimization done) that I've had it drop down from 30 (where i lock it at) to 20ish fps at spots when textures pop in (with dual titans and a 3930K). Because this jars the hell out of the image, G-Sync will (confirmed this with a buddy whose already tested it) stop the jarring and give a smoother transition. Its a sim, so you know, jarring isn't good. Its good for ALL types of games, as it gives smoother all around gameplay by having the GPU adjust the refresh rate of the monitor. So when it hits those jarring moments, the GPU already knows its going to happen, and slowly steps the FPS down right where you need it to be. Unlike any other tech out there at the moment, I add.

Only a matter of time before someone makes it work on their korean monitor...

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

Thats the thing, it isn't just for FPS gaming. I play several flight sims, the main one is a heavily modded FSX. Anyone here that plays it modded can tell you its brutal on frames. Its a flight sim, not FPS, but its old enough and in 32bit (and its like there was no optimization done) that I've had it drop down from 30 (where i lock it at) to 20ish fps at spots when textures pop in (with dual titans and a 3930K). Because this jars the hell out of the image, G-Sync will (confirmed this with a buddy whose already tested it) stop the jarring and give a smoother transition. Its a sim, so you know, jarring isn't good. Its good for ALL types of games, as it gives smoother all around gameplay by having the GPU adjust the refresh rate of the monitor. So when it hits those jarring moments, the GPU already knows its going to happen, and slowly steps the FPS down right where you need it to be. Unlike any other tech out there at the moment, I add.

except I don't really play games where smoothness is an issue. Recently I've playing a lot of EUIV and that is mostly staring at map xD

except I don't really play games where smoothness is an issue. Recently I've playing a lot of EUIV and that is mostly staring at map xD

lol, don't I know it. I've wasted 400+ hours on it.

Yep. Not worth it, in the uk this g-sync monitor currently available for £441 which is $720. For that price, you may as well just buy a new high-end gpu. If you bought a 780 that'd be about £400 (the cheapest 780 is £379, but i figured £400 was a good average) in the uk, leaving £41 or $67 (or £62, $101 if you bought the cheapest 780) to spend on something else. Hell, let's talk about the 290. That averages at about £330 ($539), you'd save £111 ($181), which come on, there is no reason for the average pc gamer to buy the monitor over a 290 considering the price difference.

The G-Sync monitor is in the price range of people who already have the best PC component's there is, but they'd have no use for this (other than bragging rights). Yet i feel like they're aiming this at people who have crappy PC's... Nvidia, it isn't going to happen. If people with crappy pc's had £441 to throw around, they wouldn't have a crappy PC, would they?

I simply can't justify why anyone would spend £440 on a monitor when I could spend considerably less on upgrading my current system which would give the same results.

depends on your profession, for me its worth it, for a standard gamer its pointless

Character artist in the Games industry.

i have a 780ti. And Gsync is retard just like 4k now. Why? You get the smothines for a silly price. for one second forget your monitor and what you have to drop $700 The monitor + gsync you think 700 is worth it for only gsync? is better throw a second 780ti have double performance in almost every game and later throw $300 for a panel ips or a top tn with Dynamic Refresh Rate. For you is better now to throw $200 for Gsync. I know is great but not for everyone.

Yeah, no, you don't understand what Gsync does.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I'm not going to pay $200 just for no tearing and smoothing when I can't reach 60 FPS anyways. And even if I did, my monitor would end up costing more than my rig. Of course I'd rather upgrade my rig. IMO Eliminating tearing and smoothing your game isn't worth it when A G-Sync module costs more than your graphics card. But then again, IMO it wouldn't be worth it if you had a good rig anyways..

Buying it for the toaster, only a GTX 760 mini fits in the case

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

$200 is a pretty stupid price for a component that probably costs $15 to manufacture.

please look at my install post i made.  

http://www.overclock.net/t/1459583/tpu-asus-rolls-out-g-sync-upgrade-kit-for-vg248qe/100

it shows how its done and what the gsync board looks like and actually replaces.  the kit comes with the board, an ac adapter, a high quality display port cable, a nice metal sticker, and a FULL color manual.

ive heard people saying the board cost anywhere from $1 to $50 to make, but not one of those people can back up that claim.  the PCB is high quality, and the packaging was well done.  

if you know something we dont about how much the PCB costs to make, then please, enlighten us.

if you know something we dont about how much the PCB costs to make, then please, enlighten us.

I'm not sure anyone but you is going to question the fact that a PCB costs literally nothing to make. A colour manual, DP cable and sticker, woopie.

$200 is really stupid in my opinion. They had a chance to get the product out there so people would make some noise, $100 would have done that and still been plenty profitable.

I'm not sure anyone but you is going to question the fact that a PCB costs literally nothing to make. A colour manual, DP cable and sticker, woopie.

$200 is really stupid in my opinion. They had a chance to get the product out there so people would make some noise, $100 would have done that and still been plenty profitable.

its a business dude.  they know they can sell it at that price and people will buy it.  and it worked.  ive been around computers and hardware long enough to know that this is nothing new.  early adopters pay more.  thats just the way it is.  

again, i would love to see where you guys get your information on how much gsync costs to manufacture. not to mention the amount spent on R and D.  

but yeah, im sure the entire thing costs fractions of a cent to make, and the whole deal probably only cost nvidia $20 from start to finish.

you guys who act this way are literally just hating, and trying to justify your lame reasons for not wanting to adopt what is essentially the biggest step forward for gaming in quite some time.

but alas, too many people are just looking to argue and make up stupid excuses why x is better than y or why y shouldnt cost as much as x.

dont want/like/need/cant afford gsync?  kindly gtfo pls so the people who do like it can talk about it sucker free.

Not wanting to pay another $200 on a TN 1080p display to integrate something that will be standard in 6 months time on IPS 4K displays? Call me crazy.

Not wanting to pay another $200 on a TN 1080p display to integrate something that will be standard in 6 months time on IPS 4K displays? Call me crazy.

i will call you crazy.  there is no indication that variable refresh rate will be something standard in 6 months.  if you would kindly quote your source on this information i would be happy.

also again, you are missing the point of who and what the gsync addon kit was directed at.  obviously, you dont want it.  which i really dont understand why you are here.