0 profit raffel, with SSD CPU/GPU ect

Ryanwake

0 profit raffel, with SSD CPU/GPU ect  

21 members have voted

1. 1. $1 entries with 1/40 chance to win a $40 item

• Yes
    • No
    • I wouldn't enter, but I don't see why LTT shouldn't do this

LTT could have a few raffles going on at once, and the raffle ends once the raffle has collected enough tickets to pay for the item.

You get a chance to get something like a $300 GPU or an SSD, and potentially you don't have to pay full price.

Mostly it's a publicity stunt but to convince people to do it maybe you could give LTT cryptocurrency or discount codes for their merch.

Maybe I could send in my old GPU for tickets, say for example my old graphics card treated for a chance to get a better graphics card

7 hours ago, Arika S said:

I don't see how it's charitable, but I don't feel like arguing a law in a different country.

That's semantics I'm sure someone can get a license, especially if they actually considered it.

Raffles Under 5,000 and Fairs/Exhibitions – Class D, C

• Groups holding raffles under $5,000 must use their funds for a broader community purpose or to benefit a third party in British Columbia.
  • Fairs or exhibitions must be open to the general public, operated annually and be at least 3 days in duration to gain approval for a Class C Licence.

I think it would fall under this

7 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

Gambling? Are you serious?

It's not gambling, you have a very low chance of paying more then what it costs to get the item.

And no matter what you get discount codes, or other stuff.

And I would like to trade stuff in like my old GPU, then my GPU could be raffeled off, and I would get some extra tickets.

Plus I'm sure down the line I could provide some sort of online service, and get paid in credit tickets.

I've had this idea for years and I pitched it to my school but there's not very many people there so it fell through.

Maybe if I buy enough tickets I could get free LTT, you know the advertise LTT

And people that lose a significant amount of times could have a higher chance of winning, along with the winter they replaced.

That way LTT could lower the luck of the really lucky people and increase the luck of the unlucky people.

3 minutes ago, Ryanwake said:

That's semantics I'm sure someone can get a license, especially if they actually considered it.

British Columbia allows not-for-profit organizations (mainly for charity and religious functions) to hold raffles,

LMG is not Not-for-profit

These raffles must be dedicated to raising funds for a broader community purpose or a third party

so LMG would lose money on this since they can't keep the money they raise

Just now, Ryanwake said:

Raffles Under 5,000 and Fairs/Exhibitions – Class D, C

• Groups holding raffles under $5,000 must use their funds for a broader community purpose or to benefit a third party in British Columbia.
  • Fairs or exhibitions must be open to the general public, operated annually and be at least 3 days in duration to gain approval for a Class C Licence.

I think it would fall under this

see above

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Would be cool to see them do this with floatplane subscriptions to raise money for charity weekly.

How about we just cut the chase and add loot boxes to the LTT forum

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Pretty sure this breaks gambling laws in Canada.

10 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

How about we just cut the chase and add loot boxes to the LTT forum

I know it seems like gambling, but did were in charge I would stack the bets for people who are unlucky, and the tickets turn into crypto when the raffel is over.

Let crypto that can be used for merch and spent other stuff like floatplane.

And u would get Ltt crypto with a floatplane subcription, and use it for a raffle

Basically I want all the benefits of a raffel without any negatives, and i won't support it with any

Interesting idea, but it won't really work for various reasons. It is gambling, as you're putting money forward at a chance to win. The odds don't matter. Even if it were a 50% chance, you're still gambling, because there's a chance you won't win anything with the money you've put forward.

The idea is interesting though. For example, one could have raffles weekly for a $40 item. Price tickets at $0.50. Many people will buy lots, significantly increasing your chance to profit on said item. I know it's not your model, but it's something I've considered.

11 hours ago, Arika S said:

That's actually too broad of a categorization. They'd qualify for Class D.

• To support the general functioning of your group or organization, such as the purchase or repair
    of furniture or equipment needed to run your programs.

However I think the problem would arise where this doesn't cover online stuff, just IRL events. So.

Also, since they wouldn't be generating revenue, one could put forward that they don't require a license at all. Then enters the next question; why do it at all? Manpower is still a quantifiable expense.

11 hours ago, Ryanwake said:

It's not gambling, you have a very low chance of paying more then what it costs to get the item.

And no matter what you get discount codes, or other stuff.

And I would like to trade stuff in like my old GPU, then my GPU could be raffeled off, and I would get some extra tickets.

Plus I'm sure down the line I could provide some sort of online service, and get paid in credit tickets.

I've had this idea for years and I pitched it to my school but there's not very many people there so it fell through.

Maybe if I buy enough tickets I could get free LTT, you know the advertise LTT

And people that lose a significant amount of times could have a higher chance of winning, along with the winter they replaced.

That way LTT could lower the luck of the really lucky people and increase the luck of the unlucky people.

It absolutely is 100% gambling. It's even categorized as gambling by the government.

12 minutes ago, Ryanwake said:

I know it seems like gambling, but did were in charge I would stack the bets for people who are unlucky, and the tickets turn into crypto when the raffel is over.

What? Are you fucking kidding me? How do you plan to figure that out? Just have people say "oh, dude, I never win, I'm unlucky, help me!"

That's the most nonsensical thing I've seen yet.

9 minutes ago, Ryanwake said:

Basically I want all the benefits of a raffel without any negatives, and i won't support it with any

How do you figure you'll do that? Even with your model, there's 1 winner and 39 losers...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Interesting idea, but it won't really work for various reasons. It is gambling, as you're putting money forward at a chance to win. The odds don't matter. Even if it were a 50% chance, you're still gambling, because there's a chance you won't win anything with the money you've put forward.

The idea is interesting though. For example, one could have raffles weekly for a $40 item. Price tickets at $0.50. Many people will buy lots, significantly increasing your chance to profit on said item. I know it's not your model, but it's something I've considered.

That's actually too broad of a categorization. They'd qualify for Class D.

• To support the general functioning of your group or organization, such as the purchase or repair
    of furniture or equipment needed to run your programs.

However I think the problem would arise where this doesn't cover online stuff, just IRL events. So.

Also, since they wouldn't be generating revenue, one could put forward that they don't require a license at all. Then enters the next question; why do it at all? Manpower is still a quantifiable expense.

It absolutely is 100% gambling. It's even categorized as gambling by the government.

What? Are you fucking kidding me? How do you plan to figure that out? Just have people say "oh, dude, I never win, I'm unlucky, help me!"

That's the most nonsensical thing I've seen yet.

How do you figure you'll do that? Even with your model, there's 1 winner and 39 losers...

Yeah but think about it, how many people don't vmwun in 40 attempts?

Then before 55 attempts the ods will be stacked in their favor

Lower the ods of the susper lucky so nobody is unlucky

Yeah but think about it, how many people don't vmwun in 40 attempts?

Then before 55 attempts the ods will be stacked in their favor

Lower the ods of the susper lucky so nobody is unlucky

39. Provided there's a limit of one ticket per person. If not, then the odds are even worse for those buying a single ticket.

You could put in one ticket into 1,000,000 raffles, and still not win. Entering more raffles does not increase your chance of winning.

I don't think you fully grasp how raffles and/or odds work.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

LolA 30% chance of getting a good deal, in exchange for a 30% chance to pay up to 30% more.

Plus everyone gets cheap merch

It doesn't have to be a raffel, how about a deal loot box, after you buy Ltt coins u have to spend them on something.

Then u get to spend them on more purchase options.

U sulect what type of PC part and original price range, then you spend $1 credit to get more options, for example you could get a good deal but u could get a markup.

If u get a markup u rool the dice again, with another $1 to get another opinion, but u likely won't get more than 15% off on the item u want without spending 10% on more chances 

Cheap.. merch.. lmao

Who'll pay for the shipping? I don't think you know about their shipping rates

12 hours ago, Ryanwake said:

I don't see how it's charitable, but I don't feel like arguing a law in a different country.

Besides other problems, here's the biggest. If LMG could get license to run raffles, they could only do it in Canada, for Canadians, and still excluding those territories which prohibit gambling. That would exclude all of US and rest of the world. Which is reason why they don't even run their own giveaways. They always have partner to do it.

How is that not gambling? The definition of gambling is " take risky action in the hope of a desired result". In your scheme its paying sum in hopes of getting something for free or with noticeable discount.

This would require gathering data of entries and having some massive math to calculate multipliers based on times of one's losses.

12 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Would be cool to see them do this with floatplane subscriptions to raise money for charity weekly.

You haven't been around long enough, so I give this tasty bit of LMG history. They used to have Folding for Charity bit going on. So every week they would donate amount of folding points achieved to charity. Users could also give direct donations for it. This went on for few months until Linus axed it for being too much work for too little gain. IIRC he's words were "If you want to donate, you can do it yourself much more efficiently".

34 minutes ago, Ryanwake said:

Let crypto that can be used for merch and spent other stuff like floatplane.

And u would get Ltt crypto with a floatplane subcription, and use it for a raffle

Newsflash: Linus doesn't like anything crypto. He has even done videos of bashing whole crypto-scene.

1 minute ago, Ryanwake said:

A 30% chance of getting a good deal, in exchange for a 30% chance to pay up to 30% more.

Seriously, you should think things through. Most of what you have written is close to or straight on rambling. Rest is wishful thinking at best. I'm not surprised that no one took you seriously when you presented this idea in school. I would have hoped that there were people who know about economics, basic laws and regulations to enlighten you about these things.

The way raffles and other gambling works, and why its done, is because of changes of party holding it getting benefits. If you have $500 phone as main price, ticket costing $2, you need 250+ participants to make it even. Which makes raffles good place to scam. If winners name isn't publicly announced, no body knows if the price is actually handed out. Where the reason of laws and regulations come in.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 1/27/2019 at 9:09 PM, Ryanwake said:

Here is an idea:

Why don't you just buy the stuff?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

11 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Here is an idea:

Why don't you just buy the stuff

Fun community activity, and yes I bought several ssds, I just think this would be a funny idea.

Plus I could risk $1 for a chance to get 1070 once a week, and then when I lose go buy my first Ltt shirt.

But I would pay $1 more a month on floatplane, for a 1/50 chance to get $50 credit.

I'm a consenting adults that occasionally buys cheap scratch tickets, and my uncle always comes to Christmas with $50 worth of scratch tickets for the whole family.

I got $100 from him when I was 14, that was my favorite Christmas, that was when I got my first DS and 3 games, including Pokemon.

Plus that's when I met that uncle, thx for bringing up that memory.

-= Lock =-

Interesting idea but this conversation is going in a downward spiral.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER