2019. What's yours going to be like?

dizmo
On 1/24/2019 at 2:13 PM, TempestCatto said:

I'm in the US. I haven't read up on anything like that, but I doubt it will deter me. Tis a dream I've had since I were a wee lad.

At this point, a Ryzen 3 and either Vega VII or 2080ti.

I'd strongly suggest looking into it. It's really not worth it for most people, especially with automation on the horizon.

On 1/24/2019 at 2:21 PM, pipnina said:

Sadly, my city has one of the worst public transport in the country. A year ticket (at student prices) is £630, which only covers one bus company and even the best bus routes are only once every 10 minutes, some are one every 20, or 40 or even hour. After a couple of years the car becomes cheaper as insurance goes down with experience and age, it's just starting out that's expensive...

March 29th is "Brexit day"

Haha, you complain about that, but you don't even have it bad. Here, buses when they're running at their peak are every half an hour. On weekends a good chunk of routes don't even run at all. Yearly pass? Non existent. You can buy monthly passes, they're $97/month. For terrible service. Most of the time I just choose to walk.

On 1/24/2019 at 6:16 PM, Tog Driver said:

Oh, it had some special built in surge protector and would trip from the smallest power fluctuation, so my Computer would switch of randomly if there's any kind of weird weather going on, I got it replaced now, seems to be working, just need to wait for more weird weather to see if it works. . .

That just sounds more annoying than anything else...I don't think computers are that sensitive to fluctuations like that.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:55 PM, Subway said:

@dizmo I am broke as fuck. Shit life because my life doesn't go the way I want, you know? Like I want a peaceful day, but not until someone has to ruin it. It is hard to find a freaking job in FL here because it is poor af. I applied 5 different places and none of them call me. I am in college right now, so mother fucking college debt is about to hit me hard. I hate getting into debt, you know? That shit will haunt you if you don't deal with it. I ain't taking big ass college debt if I can't find a job now to pay it very quick. 

You only applied to 5 places? Oh boy. Don't get down if you've only applied to that many. Do you know how many applications I filled out to get my current job? Probably well over 50. I have friends that will literally apply to over 200 positions before they get one that they land. You only get out of life what you put in, so if you're having a real shit time, maybe you need to re-evaluate what you're doing.

College in the US is a debt facilitator. I hope you really looked into the degree you're taking, and there's high demand for it when you exit. Seems like education in the US is a pretty brutal joke.

On 1/25/2019 at 12:13 AM, DimasRMDO said:

RX-8, hoping to swap to an i4 or i6 to it (SR20DET or 1JZ) but if I'm still crazy I'll swap for another rotary again (13B-REW or 20B).

I still don't have the money for it, so I'll just mod the cooling system for now.

The rotatory engines are such a nightmare. I remember my dad swearing endlessly at them when he was trying to fix a buddies car.

There isn't even really a huge benefit to them.

On 1/25/2019 at 12:38 AM, Rafale19 said:

>Less caffeine by switching to tea (and occasional milk tea)

>Less snacks during weekend gaming

>Focus more on my game dev stuff

>Stop being jaded lol

Save enough monies by December for a Vega/Navi or a 2060 because my bro keeps telling me to go green, though I've always been happy with red.

A lot of teas don't necessarily have less caffeine...something to keep in mind.

On 1/25/2019 at 12:26 PM, Chett_Manly said:

Oh its Fat. I got a job working remotely, so I am home all day, and I got rather spend happy with grubhub and prime now and door dash delivery. If I cut out the eating out I will likely hit both the weight and spending goals. 

I've never been to a state fair. I'm too in the city to get such events around here. Maybe Ill look into it. California has to have one somewhere.

Haha yeah I've been pretty spend happy on Skip as well. It's too cold to go grocery shopping or out at all really.

I imagine they do...they must, with as many people as California has ?

On 2/19/2019 at 9:41 PM, Bangert said:

My top goals this year:
- Work hard and earn much money to go traveling and do voluntary work along the way
- Update my travel blogs with quality posts
- Visit my parents in the hometown more often
- Finish all my waiting list of favorite games on my recent addicted site mantigames
- Improve my health
- Stop stressing out over trivial things.
- Get the courage to talk to my crush
- Get rid of the habit of watching movies while eating

I should visit my parents more often too, I haven't seen them in almost three years.

Just go talk to her ? Worst case, she's not into you, and you can move on to someone else.

On 2/20/2019 at 6:40 AM, Ithanul said:

A few I have planned for the year:

• Finishing last test of Course 3 - knocks out my CCAF
  • Get HAM Technician license
  • Get Linux+ or RHEL certification
  • Sell 2nd truck and motorcycle off
  • Put the 4th computer together
  • Get back into drawing
  • Beat Hollow Knight.....and the blasted Path of Pain area

I don't know what most of the first things are, but why would you sell the motorcycle! They're such affordable transportation.

I'd buy one, but I'm pretty sure I'd end up dead within a few weeks of ownership.

On 2/20/2019 at 7:48 AM, Noctus said:
  • Lose weight (about 10-15kg), lost 3 in 3 weeks so far so somethings going right
  • apply and get into either police / fire brigade 
  • Graduate from my current dating to a full blown relationship (everyone needs a friend :D)
  • Stop my ridiculous spending habits and save cash
  • Get a holiday on the go, my last sun/sea/sand one was almost 10 years ago
  • Pour more cash into my hobby(motorbikes)

Is it hard to get a job in law enforcement in the UK?

Curbing spending is a solid thing to strive for, I need to do that myself; I probably spend close to $300 on McDonald's alone ?

Sounds like you should buy the fellows motorcycle below ;) Haha

On 2/23/2019 at 3:36 AM, Underi said:

Having a goal doesn't mean I have to accomplish it.

Get fit.

Get a driving license.

Get a job.

Get good at R6S.

Haha, as soon as I saw driver's license my mind changed R6S to RS6 and I got excited ?

Damn Europeans and their RS6 Avant.

On 2/24/2019 at 6:49 AM, Kriss ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

Gonna be a shitty year for me tbh

Why's that?

On 2/25/2019 at 6:10 PM, SenpaiKaplan said:

I dont plan on necessarily losing weight, but I dont want to gain any more

Save up money, as I am moving out soon

Keep my grades up in college

Thats about it. Just enjoy life and live decently enough with my Fiancee

Moving out is always exciting, I'm hoping to move into a bigger place soon myself.

It'll just look super bare for a good chunk of time ?

On 2/27/2019 at 6:11 AM, BensonChiang said:

Learning English

Code more

Improve my time management

Your English doesn't seem too bad...though if you live in the UK I could see that being pretty important ?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

That just sounds more annoying than anything else...I don't think computers are that sensitive to fluctuations like that.

Yeah, but my computer turning off while I'm playing a game where the saves would get corrupted if it doesn't save properly, from I don't know, the computer losing power. . . 

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha, you complain about that, but you don't even have it bad. Here, buses when they're running at their peak are every half an hour. On weekends a good chunk of routes don't even run at all. Yearly pass? Non existent. You can buy monthly passes, they're $97/month. For terrible service. Most of the time I just choose to walk.

Well if you divide my year pass by 12, and convert the currency to USD (I presume that's what you mean by $) it comes out at $70 per month. Again, that's student prices. The normal adult year pass was a couple hundred more.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Is it hard to get a job in law enforcement in the UK?

Curbing spending is a solid thing to strive for, I need to do that myself; I probably spend close to $300 on McDonald's alone ?

Sounds like you should buy the fellows motorcycle below ;) Haha

I'd say no it's not particularly hard to get in. Kind of like the military. If you are decently fit, answer the questions they ask with the right kind of answers and fill out their application forms with the right sort of stuff you are sorted. Though i guess the only real barrier is after that at selection/training.

300$ on McD's a month? You fat bastard lol. I'm back at the gym for this year (Ny reso and all that) but surprisingly i've stuck at it since the 2nd week in Jan (needed a week to get my mindset right and go forward) and since i bothered to weight myself (4th or 5th week) i've found i've lost a kg/week. So i'm doing alright so far, just need to nail down my eating habits, but i'm semi there.

Hahaha nah, i already own a Naked 04 Bandit 1200. I'll be pouring my cash into that with mods/paint/performance upgrades etc once i've sorted my flat (almost done !) and started to save cash again.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

The rotatory engines are such a nightmare. I remember my dad swearing endlessly at them when he was trying to fix a buddies car.

There isn't even really a huge benefit to them.

Hehe I used to work on rotaries so I'm kinda used to it, I do have access to some racing parts which last much longer than the OEM one.

I know your father's feeling, I also swear a lot when working with rotaries lol :P

I've got to say, the 12A is reliable, but it's got low output.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

1- Start saving money for my new truck engine (Toyota 1JZ or Nissan VQ35DE) + everything else needed for the swap;

2- Hopefully keep my job (should be really easy);

3- Fix my HT room;

4- Buy some cool new speakers for my desk.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

12 hours ago, dizmo said:

I don't know what most of the first things are, but why would you sell the motorcycle! They're such affordable transportation.

I'd buy one, but I'm pretty sure I'd end up dead within a few weeks of ownership.

Because, I own two motorcycles.  Keeping the smaller and more fun one, Suzuki S40.  Selling the bigger one off, Honda Shadow Aero.

I plan to take the money from selling the motorcycle and the 2nd truck to get myself an used hybrid civic or hybrid sonata (unless I can find an used manual hatchback civic at a good price that I can rework). 

On the other hand, I still need to save up to finish the sound system rework in my main truck.  Got the one amp for my door speakers, just need the audio DSP, sound deadening foam, subwoofer amp, and the two 8" sundown subwoofers with box to finish the setup.  So, any left over money from selling those two and buying the car will be funneled into that.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

14 hours ago, dizmo said:

You only applied to 5 places? Oh boy. Don't get down if you've only applied to that many. Do you know how many applications I filled out to get my current job? Probably well over 50. I have friends that will literally apply to over 200 positions before they get one that they land

I remember back in '97 sending exactly 105 applications (by snail mail, written with an old typewriter, lol) , and quite complete ones (with quite some big CV, many courses already, etc, got only 3 replies ! Very polite ones, tho). No portfolio urls in the presentation letter, as there was no inet around yet. It was for working as a teacher, and in most private schools around it is/was mostly word of mouth, besides, me just not having professional teaching experience, yet (they often pick people expert in a particular subject if like me had  at least some teaching internships  made, and courses). In other occasions, even right now with a lot of experience and profiles (sadly, I'm no coder, a only bit of a web coder but full exp in graphics) I'd consider it EXTREMELY lucky, * in my area * , to land in a decent job with only 5 applications... Of course, I live in a IT deserted area, so there's very few jobs for a ton of people. And badly paid, outdated tech, etc, etc. Maybe that's not a bad perspective to have, as then, everything in better areas looks amazing, haha.

One other time which was almost as exhausting, but in a way a bit worse, was while trying to place my oil pictures at some shops and galleries. That was freakin' impossible. The only thing compensating the results (and walking carrying a lot of weight, all those big oil pictures) was that almost every shop owner or gallery manager would tell me they had a middle man/company and they could not fail them or work anything out of their established channel. Dunno how is it now, the world has changed immensely with internet... The other nice detail is, dunno if being sincere or polite, they'd all say they'd liked the pictures,  :s . I don't know, but hearing that same story about the middle man like 7 times in same morning discouraged me more than the 105 applications sent without any reply to make an interview. I guess where you put all the heart, your passion,  it makes this path quite harder. I've learnt working at a bunch of places to put a distance and disconnect self esteem (I don't mean to have no self esteem, just disconnect it from the procedure, as there's too many factors) from ANYTHING of that process, not only rejections.... Is insane to proceed differently...

On 1/10/2019 at 6:36 AM, dizmo said:

So lads and the odd ladette...what are your Top 10 goals for 2019?

On 1/10/2019 at 6:36 AM, dizmo said:

masturbation

This pretty much summarizes my plans for 2019.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

One of my buddies finally got his old headset shipped to me, so now I have a mic on my desktop :D

Hopefully that'll be fine for small streams until I can get a dedicated external mic.

Also, the workouts have been going really well so far :)

And I'm out of Pink Panther movies to watch on Amazon Prime without having to pay :(

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

17 hours ago, dizmo said:

Haha, as soon as I saw driver's license my mind changed R6S to RS6 and I got excited ?

Damn Europeans and their RS6 Avant.

Lol I wish I had one. I'll probably buy some 1.4l Corolla and drive that for a couple of years. ?

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

Atm my only goal for 2019 is getting my body in shape. I weigh around 50-ishkg and when I look at my body in the mirror I be like "ew. too scrawny". But then again... I lack the motivation to do so and the fact that I'm working hard to maintain my high grades doesn't help either. I also have this "I'm scared people will laugh at me at the gym" kinda mentality. One of my friends tried to push me into it but my stubbornness got in the way. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

On 3/1/2019 at 11:42 PM, Kaita said:

Atm my only goal for 2019 is getting my body in shape. I weigh around 50-ishkg and when I look at my body in the mirror I be like "ew. too scrawny". But then again... I lack the motivation to do so and the fact that I'm working hard to maintain my high grades doesn't help either. I also have this "I'm scared people will laugh at me at the gym" kinda mentality. One of my friends tried to push me into it but my stubbornness got in the way. 

Trust me, whoever laughs for sure has a waaay worse set of problems himself/herself. Feel very very sorry, but I mean, sincerely feel so, for whoever laughs (or insults, looks at other people with superiority, etc) at anyone's shape in a gym...As I can tell you: They are empty, surely way more frustrated than the heaviest or the thinnest guy in the gym.  Been to quite some gyms (and football, basketball teams, swimming competition, etc). Plus, looking thinner or fatter being "worse", aesthetically, is just a social construct that has been changing drastically through all human history. Is just all about being healthier, and also, being strong, flexible and with energy  is quite an advantage for normal life, ie, for carrying stuff from the shop, catching a bus, ending the day less "destroyed", not having back/neck pain, etc...... I wouldn't leave aside being healthy just because you can't be boxed and labeled as easily as them (the one / if any/ laughing), which, btw, in the long run, not such a great thing. Studying in the other side, yep, that's reasonable. Still, with " a bit" of exercise (not to get obsessed, fine if doing 3 times a week, or heck, even 2 for first months)  helps in getting focused, energized, the brain sharper... 

BIG UPDATE

- Life still sucks haven't done anything, actually gone backward in life, gained weight lost cardio, still no gf (apply within).

- I am back on twitter @costelrory though and more live on insta.