January 5, 2019 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

Main News Topics

NCIX Data Breach Update

Source 1: Remog https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1016800-ncix-data-breach-class-action-update/

Source 2: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/court-blocks-class-action-against-bankrupt-computer-firm-citing-unreliable-proof-of-data-breach-1.4964076

• A proposed class action suit alleging a massive personal data breach will not be allowed to proceed against the trustee for bankrupt computer retailer NCIX.

• The trustee in bankruptcy is the Bowra Group.

• Other defendents include NCIX’ landlord and the company responsible for auctioning off the computer firm's old equipment.

• The plaintiff, former NCIX customer Warner Kipling, says he gave the company his name, address and debit and credit card details.

• He claims the firm failed to properly encrypt that information and the personal data of at least 258,000 people.

• and that some of the NCIX servers containing private information were auctioned off to criminals, including identity thieves.

• Because NCIX is bankrupt, the claim against it was stayed automatically

• it's possible to sue the trustee, but only with the express leave of the court.

• this extra step is necessary "to protect officers of the court, including trustees, from baseless, frivolous or vexatious lawsuits which would otherwise interfere with the due administration of the bankrupt's estate,".

• A Supreme Court master described the Plaintiff's evidence as "inherently unreliable" and "bare allegations" not supported by fact.

• The Plaintiff "has not satisfied even the relatively low threshold required to justify the court exercising its discretion in favour of leave,"

• she said there simply wasn't enough admissible evidence to allow the claim to proceed.

• The evidence:

• Warner submitted an affidavit swearing his belief that customer databases were mishandled during bankruptcy proceedings under the supervision of the trustee.

• post on the cybersecurity website PrivacyFly by Travis Doering

• Doering alleged he'd seen customers' financial information and the personal tax details of former NCIX employees.

• Doering filed an affidavit on behalf of Warner, but "it is very difficult to extract any admissible and reliable evidence" from that document

• information taken from blog posts and YouTube videos created by two people who said they attended the NCIX equipment auction.

• However, Warner did not obtain legal affidavits from those two people.

• The response:

• That evidence is "inherently unreliable" and inadmissible because it amounts to double hearsay.

• Richmond RCMP opened an investigation into the data breach in September, but that ended without police recommending any charges

• Warner’s lawyer has said he intends to proceed with the proposed class action against the auctioneer and NCIX's landlord (not the trustee).

• "People's privacy has been compromised. They have a legitimate claim and they should be allowed to pursue that claim,"

• Another proposed class action over the alleged data breach has also been filed on behalf of former NCIX employees.

iPhone XS Max Catches Fire in Man's Pocket

Source 1: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-xs-max-fire,news-28940.html

Source 2:

• J. Hillard said that he was carrying an iPhone XS Max in his pocket when it spontaneously caught fire.

• The phone was inside a case, in the back pocket of his pants at the time

• Hillard smelled something "strange", then felt a "large amount of heat" and his skin burning. Soon after, green and yellow smoke came from the iPhone in his pocket.

• “Left no other option, I had to exit the room since there was a female in the break room with me and remove my pants,"

• "I ran to the boardroom where I got my shoes and pants off as fast as possible.

• A VP of our company put the fire out with a fire extinguisher because he heard me yelling."

• he found a hole in his pants from where the iPhone was, and had "pain/irritation in my buttocks region where the pocket of my pants was located."

• It's unclear what might have caused the fire, but his account could indicate that the battery overheated.

• when phone batteries overheat and catch fire, there's often a terrible smell and plenty of yellow smoke.

• The pictures of his iPhone also suggest a possible battery problem.

• He went to the Apple Store that night to tell Apple about his problem.

• The employees there took his phone and told him that they couldn't do much more for him.

• He called Apple to complain and was ultimately offered a new handset.

• But he wants more:

• new clothing and shoes to replace what had been damaged.

• wants Apple to cover the cost of his wireless service during the period when he didn't have a working iPhone.

• He's also considering whether to take legal action against Apple.

Google touchless gesture control

Source 1: https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/2/18165246/google-touchless-display-gadget-control-project-hand-gestures

Source 2:

• Google has won federal approval to continue its tiny radar project from 2015, “Project Soli,” at higher power levels for better accuracy.

• Instead of tapping directly on a screen, the project uses gestures like rubbing your thumb and index finger together to control a smartwatch or smart speaker.

• you could potentially turn on a JBL smart speaker by moving a hand closer to it

• or turn music on or off with a flick of your fingers.

• could add more functionality to smartwatches, which have tiny displays that can be awkward to use.

• could also help users who have mobility or tactile impairments.

• After its initial debut as a prototype, Project Soli hit a road bump because the radar wasn’t accurately noticing user gestures, and it had trouble picking up every motion.

• users could only attempt a limited number of gestures that a smartwatch could pick up.

• Google attributed these problems to the low power levels the smartwatch had to operate on due to the Federal Communication Commission’s restrictions.

• In March, Google applied for a waiver from the FCC to operate at higher power levels.

• On December 31st, the FCC granted the waiver after determining that Project Soli could serve the public interest and had little potential for causing harm.

What’s Coming Out on Floatplane? Go Over Current Week.

Rapid Fire

Guy behind China’s largest torrent site Jailed

Source 1: BananaInSandalss https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1016069-site-master-of-former-largest-torrent-site-in-china-sentenced-to-3-year-jail/

Source 2: https://news.sina.com.tw/article/20190102/29511952.html

• Yuan Moumou has been sentenced to 3 years in prison and a fine of RMB 800,000 ($116,450 USD)

• Following an investigation, Moumou was found have been publishing magnet links and seed file links for a large number of film and television works to the BT Paradise website for the purpose of making profits (via advertising)

• From May 2015 to July 2016, Moumou made more than 1.4 million yuan illegally

• During the peak period, the average daily IP traffic of the website was around 600,000, and the average daily PV pageview was around 3 million.

‘True Black’ standard added to DisplayHDR spec

Source 1: https://hexus.net/tech/news/monitors/125858-vesa-intros-displayhdr-true-black-hdr-standard/

Source 2: https://displayhdr.org/performance-criteria/

• VESA’s DisplayHDR certification program has been extended to include improved 'black level performance' and qualifying monitors can gain DisplayHDR 400 True Black or DisplayHDR 500 True Black certification.

• ‘DisplayHDR 500’ itself is a new addition; it used to be just 400, 600, and 1,000

• The VESA DisplayHDR True Black high dynamic range standard has been tailored with the unique qualities of OLED (and upcoming microLED) technologies in mind.

• It brings the permissible black level down to 0.0005cd/m2 – the lowest level that can be effectively measured with industry-standard colorimeters.

• Thus DisplayHDR True Black allows for "up to 100X deeper black levels in addition to a greater dynamic range and a 4X improvement in rise time," compared to VESA's DisplayHDR 1000 performance tier.

• VESA says it already had DisplayHDR True Black in mind when it set out the original HDR standards.

• "for gamers and movie watchers in subdued lighting environments, displays adhering to the DisplayHDR True Black specification can provide incredibly accurate shadow detail and dramatic increases in dynamic range (up to 50X depending on lighting condition) for a truly remarkable visual experience."

• Why isn’t True Black part of the 600 and 1,000 tiers though?

• Because there are no 1,000 nit OLED displays yet, so there would be no displays to earn the DisplayHDR 1,000 True Black certification.

Steam no longer supports Windows XP or Vista

Source 1: https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/operating-systems/matthew-wilson/steam-no-longer-supports-windows-xp-or-vista/

Source 2:

• Back in June 2018, we learned that Valve would no longer be supporting Steam on Windows XP and Vista come January 2019. And now we’re here.

• At the end of 2018, 4.54% of desktop PCs were still running Windows XP, meanwhile 0.2% were still on Vista.

• The majority of these systems are likely in businesses

• By dropping support for XP and Vista, Valve won’t have to compromise on feature updates for the sake of the few users still using old operating systems.

• Windows 7 and 8.1 will continue to be supported for the time being.

Sorry TechQuickie, VR ownership doubled in 2018

Source 1: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/01/steam-survey-vr-headset-ownership-roughly-doubled-in-2018/

Source 2: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

• Steam's monthly hardware surveys suggest the proportion of PC players with a VR headset plugged in roughly doubled in 2018… but that number is still less than one percent of the total Steam user base.

• 0.4 percent in January of 2018 and about 0.8 percent in December's survey

• about 720,000 of Steam's 90 million monthly active users

• For context, the proportion of Steam users running a Linux-based system also sits at about 0.8 percent

• The Steam survey data relies on opt-in participation from a randomized group of surveyed users who have to have the headset plugged in at survey time.

• the bulk of the increase seems to have taken place between March and May.

• That lines up roughly with a $100 price drop for the HTC Vive (to $499) in March, though Oculus Rift sales rose notably around the same time without a price drop.

• the Oculus Rift maintained an extremely slight user base lead over HTC's Vive platform

• Windows Mixed Reality headsets lag way behind, owned by just 0.07 percent of Steam users.

• rhythm-action game Beat Saber was among the top-grossing VR titles on Steam for 2018.

• 100,000 copies sold in "less than a month" at launch

Dell Patents Dual-Screen laptop

Source 1: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/dell-dual-screen-laptop-patent

Source 2:

• Dell has patented a new 2-in-1 hybrid computer-tablet device that unfolds to reveal not one but two detachable displays.

• How it works:

• The body of the computer — containing the keyboard — is sandwiched between the two displays so you can tote it around like a regular laptop.

• use it as a laptop: Open the top display

• use it as a tablet: detach and flip the bottom display.

• presentation device: Detach the bottom display and make it face your audience while you use the top display.

• extended desktop: detach the two screens and put them side by side, joined magnetically to the computer body.

New Console: The Mad Box

Source 1: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/01/project-cars-studio-announces-its-next-project-a-next-gen-wireless-vr-console/

Source 2: https://wccftech.com/slightly-mad-confirms-mad-box-console/

Source 3: https://wccftech.com/slightly-mad-mad-box-criticism-nvidia-amd/

Looks: https://twitter.com/bell_sms/status/1081170180582006785

• Ian Bell Slightly Mad Studios has announced its plan to enter the console race with:

• “What is the Mad Box? It's the most powerful console ever built... It's literally 'Mad'... You want 4k, you want VR at 60FPS? You want a full engine for free to develop your games on it? You have it.”

• “We’re not playing around here. This is beyond next gen. For too long have subtle iterations been accepted. Time to raise the bar, substantially.  :)”

• The mad box will apparently launch in 3 years time.

• The London-based studio is best known for the Project Cars racing-game series, but has no history with hardware production

• Bell also clarified that the Mad Box would be produced by "a totally new business" as opposed to Slightly Mad Studios

• Bell claims that no existing console can render 180fps content for VR headsets "with any sort of next-generation detail" but that the Mad Box will

• "We expect all good developers to fully embrace the power and cost-effective agreements we plan for the Mad Box,"

• Twitter users also criticized the look, saying it doesn’t take up space efficiently.

• Price:

• “Prices will drop with ship quantity but we’re not planning on taking as large a cut as other console owners to enable us to cut prices massively,”

• “We fully expect to be matching the best of the rest early in the lifecycle though.”

LTX 2019 Updates

• New blog posts: Explore Vancouver & LTX 2019 Summary

• Talk about the crazy RC Car VR thing we’re trying to do

• CNC, complete PC building workshop, gpu pasting/repasting

• Working on the layout right now and should be able to share the first draft in about two weeks

• DreamHack doing FreePlay, 400 PC BYOC, Indie Game Zone POSSIBLY

• (Some) LMG people will be at the BYOC area

• The “Meet & Greet” booth is just so people can be assured they’ll find whichever creator they’re looking for, but creators will still be roaming the floor

• Tickets should go on sale in February or March, exact dates and pricing is TBD, pricing will be similar to last day but we’re adding BYOC, making the event two days, and might be offering... Office tours as an add-on to your ticket

• Have any questions about LTX, feel free to ask through the contact page on ltxexpo dot com, social, or on the community forum

#LinusLateTips also you know damn well you will be sick when you get back, you ALWAYS get sick when you go to CES.

43 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Yuan Moumou has been sentenced to 3 years in prison and a fine of RMB 800,000 ($116,450 USD)

:P Moumou isn't his name fyi. It's more like saying Yuen XX, censoring the last two characters/words of his name

The VR thing seems to be mostly looking at it from the opposite side that the community looks at it. VR didn't crash, it didn't meet the crazy expectations across the Industry.

The Mastercard thing can still happen with a crowd of people though. Let's say Floatplane lets Infowars on the site, and enough people get mad that they are okay with them being on the site. People would withdraw from the website and Floatplane could be completely destroyed if it doesn't do anything. Same deal. It's the free market unless the host does something. In the interest of self preservation and preservation of income, the host should act in its own interests and kick off the people that threaten it's income.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

@LinusTech I have a question: Why is the forum domain ending in .com and not in .tech, I mean it's a forum about tech so why not ? 

(lol, I just searched GoDaddy for LinusTechTips.tech and it even is available)

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I'm not sure how much more of the the winking and nodding from Linus and Luke about his supposedly controversial political opinions I can take. Linus is a smart enough guy to know that being vague about it isn't exactly going to help matters. The whole thing is just so smug and circlejerky that I find myself being put off from LTT in general.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know who the alleged Floatplane competitor is? Didn't hear them mention it on the podcast, and don't see it in the notes.  

5 minutes ago, Sayiber said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know who the alleged Floatplane competitor is? Didn't hear them mention it on the podcast, and don't see it in the notes.  

Jordan B Peterson

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

You know what I really miss? Luke's mom calling in the middle of the WAN Show. Luke getting roasted by her was the most epic (and relatable) thing about Friday night. XD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I think they're right about the VR situation, it's mainly the click bait title that went too far and bit them in the ass. Now they've changed the title. 

You covered topics that are very important to modern discussions about the internet. I really hope you can pursue spreading more information regarding them in different videos that are more accessible such as TQ. Discussions about the what can happen with data security, what kind of laws are there protecting people and what steps should be made because facilities now were not thought of before. And for the online purchasing, just more knowledge about how infrastructure works online and the different steps every provider in the chain (Google, Payment, Content Maker) go through. Your experience with developing FloatPlane and insight into this world is content I am very keen on seeing. I am sort of sad that we have not gotten regular video content about the FP development.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

14 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

You know what I really miss? Luke's mom calling in the middle of the WAN Show. Luke getting roasted by her was the most epic (and relatable) thing about Friday night. XD

Please ALLOW this again. MAKE WAN SHOW GREAT AGAIN!!

I feel AR has potential to be everywhere. Advertisers will latch on as soon as it is in a product that can do same functions as smartphones without being intrusive. And I think the major percentage of VR players will be ones that can completely untether themselves, lay down on a bed and be in a game, maybe move things with their mind. Then we will have reached a point where the escapism is real and relaxed. I would have hoped VR to awaken arcades but there is so much overhead at this time that it doesn't seem like it is catching on to the extent people would like. But maybe full on simulations can be personalized and developed like they were shows in Vegas.

Steam no longer supports Windows XP or Vista

So when will Steam not support Windows 7?

How do I upgrade my work oem from W7 to W10?

I should just sell it and buy a new oem with w10 because I aint buying just the o/s

Guy behind China’s largest torrent site Jailed

China's whole culture is to rip people off!

Everything from counterfeit vehicles to fake prescription meds, to entire malls that sell counterfeit. The government turns a blind eye. So that story is quite funny. Hope rich people in China dont do hard time!

Does anybody have some good sources for the MasterCard threats topic? Sadly nothing in the OP.

57 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Does anybody have some good sources for the MasterCard threats topic? Sadly nothing in the OP.

No, but going on assumptions you should always look at your credit card statement every month and if you are worried, just get a new mc with a new number. Also check your credit by mailing a letter to Equifax and Transunion, and you get your reports for free. There is no need to pay to get ahold of your credit report. Go through it one by one. Also when you purchase from a restaraunt, never give your cc to anyone, only you handle it. It is far to easy to swipe the magnetic strip. You could also buy insurance if you so wish. Other threats could be that some criminals are getting smart, by installing fake fronts to atm's. Even point of purchase in stores have sneaky ways to skim info.

5 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

No, but going on assumptions you should always look at your credit card statement every month and if you are worried, just get a new mc with a new number. Also check your credit by mailing a letter to Equifax and Transunion, and you get your reports for free. There is no need to pay to get ahold of your credit report. Go through it one by one. Also when you purchase from a restaraunt, never give your cc to anyone, only you handle it. It is far to easy to swipe the magnetic strip. You could also buy insurance if you so wish. Other threats could be that some criminals are getting smart, by installing fake fronts to atm's. Even point of purchase in stores have sneaky ways to skim info.

I keep my own accounting separate from the bank and compare it item for item, it sure hasn't happened to me, but since electronic money transfers are a norm now, I sure as hell want to keep up to date on this topic. Sadly, all I've read so far were more or less opinion pieces, not a good journalistic work.