I Love Tech, But How Do I Apply It?

Ph0enix_216

I guess I'm looking for some advice here. I love building systems, setting up networks, configuring servers, overclocking, managing my home LAN, and it just gives me such a rush, and I love it. However, I have no idea how to apply it and make money off of it. I'm 23 years old and currently a manager for a fast food joint (FYI, Wendy's beef actually *is* fresh and never frozen), but I want to have a job that I can play around with computers and networks, and I have no idea what exactly that is or how to go about getting there. I can set up networks and systems, I'm quite familiar with the Linux command line, I know how to set up private servers for me and my gaming clan to use together, I can configure routers and DHCP/static IP addresses and port forwarding... I know I'm kind of rambling, but I have no idea where to take my love of tech from being a hobby to being something more that I can wake up every day and be excited because I get to go to work and do something I actually enjoy. 

One option is college to get a degree in computer science.

Another cheaper option (still will need to spend some $$ here for books, exams, labs ect) is certifications. This is the route I've taken and still am to further my career. If you have nothing I would start with an A+ certification. Get a book from amazon, study, find some practice exams online then signup for the exam at a Pearson center. This will typically help with getting your foot in the door in IT at something like a help desk position. After that if you enjoy networking then you can either go for a Network+ or go into vendor specific certifications like Microsoft or the more preferred Cisco CCNA Routing and Switch. Once again get some books, study. Invest in a lab so you can apply what you're learning and also check out some videos. Places like CBT Nuggets is good (does cost money for a membership) From there with the experience you have at the help desk and obtaining more advanced certs it will make it easier to get a job as a network admin. From there it's all about getting more certs and expanding your knowledge to further your career. (Cyber Ops, learning Python is a valuable tool to have as well. You can even study for Collaboration as well along with CCNA Data Center.)

This is just some of the advice I can offer that's helped me with my career. I'm sure some other members have other perspectives that may offer other options. 

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

For the certs mentioned above, there are usually some stacks of switches and stuff for faily cheap on my equivalent to Craigslist ;) never going to bother with the certs as I don't like networking much myself but I have seen stuff people have used to get them sold off as a stack quite a few times

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 hours ago, Ph0enix_216 said:

I actually enjoy

Depending on where you live, join a BNI group (Business Networkers International)

The way it works is each BNI is allowed only 1 of each type of profession. So in the group, you'll have only 1 real estate agent, 1 computer geek, etc. The purpose then is to make referrals to other members of the group ("warm introductions" rather than "cold calls") from the people you know, who might need the member's services (when I was a private sector IT geek, for example, I had several clients who were moving, and introduced them to our BNI real estate person) and you get to grow your business this way.

I joined one, and while it took about a year to really get things going full swing, our company made a fortune from being in it. Well worth the time you spend in the group.

Another option:

Given the massive availability of social media, set yourself upa small LLC building systems for people. Custom systems, simple break/fix, basic networking, that sort of thing. Yes, there is competition, but it's quite easy to set yourself apart from the rest.

Get a job in the State, they pay IT folk pretty well and a formal education isn't required.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

For the certs mentioned above, there are usually some stacks of switches and stuff for faily cheap on my equivalent to Craigslist ;) never going to bother with the certs as I don't like networking much myself but I have seen stuff people have used to get them sold off as a stack quite a few times

Yeah it shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on some used Cisco equipment to build a small home lab with. You can even find some on eBay with free shipping with some better gear if craigslist doesn't pan out. 

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

12 hours ago, Psybadek said:

One option is college to get a degree in computer science.

easier said than done. 60-75% dropped out during the first few semesters in my CS Bachelor. You really have to be fully committed. 

Thank you so much to everyone who responded! Definitely a lot great things here I'm considering. I'm definitely going to try and go back to school, and get some kind of degree, and I definitely want to look into getting certifications and building a lab now. 

10 hours ago, Psybadek said:

Yeah it shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on some used Cisco equipment to build a small home lab with. You can even find some on eBay with free shipping with some better gear if craigslist doesn't pan out. 

Exactly. There's IP phones like the Cisco 7941G going for £8.99 ($11.44), and some older Cisco switches cost like £50 ($63), so it's an affordable way to get your foot in the door.

Old hardware is plentiful too, so no problems with stock.

7 minutes ago, Ph0enix_216 said:

Thank you so much to everyone who responded! Definitely a lot great things here I'm considering. I'm definitely going to try and go back to school, and get some kind of degree, and I definitely want to look into getting certifications and building a lab now. 

If you don't already, I would recommend starting with the CompTIA A+, it's a good all-around cert to have.

Network+ or Cisco CCNA would be good ones to have as well.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

12 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

easier said than done. 60-75% dropped out during the first few semesters in my CS Bachelor. You really have to be fully committed. 

Never said it was easy, just an option. ;) You are right it is a degree that will take dedication.

2 hours ago, Ph0enix_216 said:

No problem! Be sure to check out other videos on youtube for some tips on labs and such. Network Chuck is a guy I watch for Cisco CCNA things so I would recommend him.

2 hours ago, 1kv said:

Exactly. There's IP phones like the Cisco 7941G going for £8.99 ($11.44), and some older Cisco switches cost like £50 ($63), so it's an affordable way to get your foot in the door.

Old hardware is plentiful too, so no problems with stock.

This! One of the next steps I plan on taking is getting into collaboration as well. It's not something I've dealt with yet but it will be a next step, along with other areas as well.