how do you delid an i7 7700k?

Anyone know a good delidding tool for the i7 7700k, also good thermal paste or liquid metal to make contact with the die and ihs? And how would you reattach the ihs to the cpu?

2 minutes ago, nikobutros said:

Anyone know a good delidding tool for the i7 7700k, also good thermal paste or liquid metal to make contact with the die and ihs? And how would you reattach the ihs to the cpu?

typically you don't reattach the die, you just let it rest on top. If you want to reattach it, most use silicon, but i recommend against it. 

Thermal conductonaut is a good liquid metal.

derbauer sells all sorts of delidding tools, presumably including the 7700k. 

Disclosure: it's not worth the risk unless your cpu temps are really struggling. IMO it's never worth the risk, and is better to upgrade your cooler

you buy this little delid tool/Allen and pop it off and buy some LM.

I did to mine runs real cool on the evga….and go buy some clr silicone and put the lid back on and let it dry seated in the socket/latched. How I do it.

2600x 4.3ghz-Loop

Msi X470 gaming plus

EVGA SuperSC CL16 3200 16gb

gtx 1060

pny nvme 480gb

mushkin eco3 480gb

Sound Blaster Audigy FX

Cooler Master GXII Pro 750w.

3 minutes ago, Derrk said:

it's not worth the risk unless your cpu temps are really struggling. IMO it's never worth the risk, and is better to upgrade your cooler

The idea behind the delidding is that you hit a point rather quickly on some Intel CPUs where a better cooler makes no difference anymore, regardless of whether it's a mid range air cooler or a high end AIO. The i7-7700K is pretty bad in that regard, and so are the X299 i7/i9 CPUs.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, NelizMastr said:

The idea behind the delidding is that you hit a point rather quickly on some Intel CPUs where a better cooler makes no difference anymore, regardless of whether it's a mid range air cooler or a high end AIO. The i7-7700K is pretty bad in that regard, and so are the X299 i7/i9 CPUs.

i know, i just want to keep the people safe. In the off-chance that he isn't using a good cooler, it would be better to replace that before jumping into delidding. I'm unfamiliar with 7700ks thermal, just don't want him to destroy his cpu lol

7 minutes ago, Derrk said:

i know, i just want to keep the people safe. In the off-chance that he isn't using a good cooler, it would be better to replace that before jumping into delidding. I'm unfamiliar with 7700ks thermal, just don't want him to destroy his cpu lol

im using the hyper 212 evo and can get to 4.9 ghz but it is really hot

4 minutes ago, nikobutros said:

what kind of temps are you getting? 

212 is a decent cooler, but there are still better ones on the market. with a dark rock pro or noctua dh15, you would probably max at around 80-85 in aida64

I have 3 versions of Rockitcool's delid tool, super easy to use and you basically can't screw it up on the 1151 chips. They include relid guides and clamping attachment too. 

My liquid metal of choice is Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, and paste for on top of the IHS is their Kryonaut paste. 

You reattach it with high temp silicon adhesive. Basically the absolute thinnest possible layer, and i put it back in the socket to let it cure just to make sure it is as thin as can be. 

Basically like with anything else in life, go watch some YouTube videos and you'll understand the basics. 

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

6 minutes ago, nikobutros said:

Because the hyper 212 evo isn't a very capable cooler. For it's price yes, but it's not high end. Go buy a different cooler and a good thermal paste. I'd recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and a good cooler like a Cryorig R1 Ultimate, a Noctua NH-D15 or a be quiet Dark Rock Pro 4

2 minutes ago, Derrk said:

212 is a decent cooler, but there are still better ones on the market. with a dark rock pro or noctua dh15, you would probably max at around 80-85 in aida64

im getting 40c idle

Just now, Derrk said:

again, i don't want to tell you what to do. I just want you to be aware of the dangers when it comes to delidding.

Conductonaut is highly conductive (hence the name), as are most liquid metals, so you have to be extremely careful not to over-apply.

If you decide delidding is the only way to go, i just want to make sure you have the information you need to do it safe, and successfully. Good luck

2 minutes ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

I have 3 versions of Rockitcool's delid tool, super easy to use and you basically can't screw it up on the 1151 chips. They include relid guides and clamping attachment too. 

My liquid metal of choice is Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, and paste for on top of the IHS is their Kryonaut paste. 

You reattach it with high temp silicon adhesive. Basically the absolute thinnest possible layer, and i put it back in the socket to let it cure just to make sure it is as thin as can be. 

Basically like with anything else in life, go watch some YouTube videos and you'll understand the basics. 

will the nh d15 fit in a corsair carbide 300r?

4 minutes ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

just to reiterate if it wasn't clear, don't let the silicon touch the die or it will negate the liquid metal. make sure the silicon is only on the outer edges. This was good advance, sorry if this post was obvious...

3 minutes ago, nikobutros said:

the 300r is listed as being compatible with coolers up to 170mm in height, the NH D15 is listed at 165 with a fan.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I used the rockitcool delidding tool for my I7 7700k. Worked perfectly. TIM i used was liquid metal. I reattached the lid with black silicone. Don't forget to leave a small gap when applying the sillicone.  Temps dropped more then 20°C 

5 minutes ago, nikobutros said:

im getting 40c idle

Idle doesn't count for much... Mainly Loaded temps.

But FYI, on a 120mm AIO liquid cooler in Australia, in Summer, I idle at 32*c at 4.5Ghz with an i7 4790k non delidded CPU.

Again idle doesn't mean much.. But even yours can go lower with better cooling than the Hyper212.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Idle doesn't count for much... Mainly Loaded temps.

But FYI, on a 120mm AIO liquid cooler in Australia, in Summer, I idle at 32*c at 4.5Ghz with an i7 4790k non delidded CPU.

Again idle doesn't mean much.. But even yours can go lower with better cooling than the Hyper212.

temps under load are more important than idle, but also the 4790k is soldered, which helps cut down cpu temps a bit. Unfortunately 7th gen isn't soldered so intel could save a penny

18 minutes ago, nikobutros said:

Websites of both parts show that there is clearance for the NH-D15, but note that it also has a RAM height limit since it overhangs RAM. 

If the LM is good and you spread it on their right...it will drop like 20 degree's...that dow corning isn't very good.....Mine absolutely did.   

About the the same the 2600x stays in the 70c's mostly like under cb….but that block is superior though and has mass more than any of those 1151 blocks. 

But for future build maybe and reference Probably still use the EK block on something of Intel's. 

2600x 4.3ghz-Loop

Msi X470 gaming plus

gtx 1060

pny nvme 480gb

mushkin eco3 480gb

Sound Blaster Audigy FX

58 minutes ago, JRzoid said:

you buy this little delid tool/Allen and pop it off and buy some LM.

I did to mine runs real cool on the evga….and go buy some clr silicone and put the lid back on and let it dry seated in the socket/latched. How I do it.

I saw a video from Gamers Nexus talking about how the silicone sealant itself can hurt thermals. He actually was running the chip without it sealed. I'm taking it you're an ethuasist so it might be worth checking out. He mentions it during his review of this aftermarket IHS https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DjbTi5Ed89Yk&ved=2ahUKEwjEjsScnNHfAhXr44MKHS9pBmUQjjgwAHoECAcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw36ED0FPCzHwkm6tuhlD9YR

1 minute ago, Thatguywiththetoasterpc said:

I saw a video from Gamers Nexus talking about how the silicone sealant itself can hurt thermals. He actually was running the chip without it sealed. I'm taking it you're an ethuasist so it might be worth checking out. He mentions it during his review of this aftermarket IHS https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DjbTi5Ed89Yk&ved=2ahUKEwjEjsScnNHfAhXr44MKHS9pBmUQjjgwAHoECAcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw36ED0FPCzHwkm6tuhlD9YR

I don't think it ever did it hardly ever got up to 80c Barely at 5ghz after that. And that was with both those Blocks I tried EK and Haswell block.

20190103_034957.jpg

2600x 4.3ghz-Loop

Msi X470 gaming plus

gtx 1060

pny nvme 480gb

mushkin eco3 480gb

Sound Blaster Audigy FX

Just now, JRzoid said:

I don't think it ever did it hardly ever got up to 80c Barely at 5ghz after that. And that was with both those Blocks I tried EK and Haswell block.

20190103_034957.jpg

That's actually pretty good, I'm guessing those were burn test temps. I wish they had decent tools for Deliding a PGA based CPU like my Ryzen chip, I could probably get close to 5ghz if I got a large reduction in heat

1 minute ago, Thatguywiththetoasterpc said:

That's actually pretty good, I'm guessing those were burn test temps. I wish they had decent tools for Deliding a PGA based CPU like my Ryzen chip, I could probably get close to 5ghz if I got a large reduction in heat

EK might of been literally 2-4 degrees difference hard to tell...but it does have like twice the Liquid in it and stuff...that's a big chamber. After the Delid Id say should be do-able with just about any Block. 

2600x 4.3ghz-Loop

Msi X470 gaming plus

gtx 1060

pny nvme 480gb

mushkin eco3 480gb

Sound Blaster Audigy FX