What should I upgrade first ?

Hey guys,

I built this PC almost 3 years ago now.

Kwint's Gaming RIG

Not that it is getting obsolete but I start to feel it could get some improvement to keep the min-60fps regardless game or setting (I only use a 1080p monitor, for now).

I cannot figure out where I should put some money first. I'm looking for the best money/power value, without spending more that 750 USD.

What do you guys think ?

Thank you!

Buy 2 another monitors? If you're working hard on your computer that may be biggest improvement.

Or used 6th/7th gen i7 if someone sell it cheap (but I assume that improvement will be not as good as you expect).

Or, if you like music, buy really good speakers and amplifier instead of that "something" you have now.

Lot of options and hard to say, because your current configuration is not so perfect (and you pay a lot for it already), but is not bad too.

PS. If you're gamer - maybe 500GB SSD just for games? Or two of them in raid0? Or just 1TB SSD?

Looking at the rig, I feel like the only thing lacking is the CPU. The 1080 is way overkill for 1080p60, so perhaps just toss the quad core in favor of something that can multitask or handle modern games better

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Hey Man ! 
Thanks for the answer.
I'm really looking at imroving performances here more than comfort. I have a different setuyp for music anyway. But thx!

welcome to forum. I'm surprised you're getting under 60 fps on this setup at 1080p. Only thing i would recommend is maybe getting an i7, such as the 6700k, and an aftermarket cooler. You may also want to look into getting faster ram, but i don't think it's ultimately necessary 

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Looking at the rig, I feel like the only thing lacking is the CPU. The 1080 is way overkill for 1080p60, so perhaps just toss the quad core in favor of something that can multitask or handle modern games better

CPU seems like a good thing to update. What about RAM ? my Motherboard limits my RAM to 2133. Wander If I'm loosing great deal of power because of that.

1 minute ago, Derrk said:

welcome to forum. I'm surprised you're getting under 60 fps on this setup at 1080p. Only thing i would recommend is maybe getting an i7, such as the 6700k, and an aftermarket cooler. You may also want to look into getting faster ram, but i don't think it's ultimately necessary 

Hey THx!
Yeah I get some frame drop on heavy titles like Escape from Tarkov for example. I'd like to see the FPS constantly above 60. Do you think upgrading the CPU is enough? Would it allow me to get a 2K monitor comfortably ?
Really feels my RAM could be better too.

So 6700K enough, no need to go 8700 or 9700 ?

Not really. Now it's only price for CPU, but if you want 8th gen CPU, you must buy another motherboard. And ram probably too then. But if you have money for that - why not.

About ram speed difference - watch some YouTube videos.

3 minutes ago, Kwint said:

Hey THx!
Yeah I get some frame drop on heavy titles like Escape from Tarkov for example. I'd like to see the FPS constantly above 60. Do you think upgrading the CPU is enough? Would it allow me to get a 2K monitor comfortably ?
Really feels my RAM could be better too.

So 6700K enough, no need to go 8700 or 9700 ?

I don't think you would need to go 8700 or 9700 yet. It would cost a lot more since you would need to get a new motherboard as well as the cpu. If it fits in your budget, go for it. But the 6700k boosts to 4.5ghz even before overclocking, which would give you a nice boost in performance over your 6500. With a good cpu cooler, you could overclock it decently beyond 4.5ghz

you will be looking at a new CPU.

wait after CES for better recommendations, new CPUs are said to be teased/announched at the event. 

you will also be looking at some new Ram

15 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I second this. Modern games are getting better at utilizing more cores/threads. A GTX 1080 is already way overkill for 1080p 60 fps, but a quad core CPU with hyperthreading may eliminate some stuttering you may be experiencing. Since you have an H170 motherboard I'd recommend getting an i7 6700.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

4 minutes ago, Derrk said:

I don't think you would need to go 8700 or 9700 yet. It would cost a lot more since you would need to get a new motherboard as well as the cpu. If it fits in your budget, go for it. But the 6700k boosts to 4.5ghz even before overclocking, which would give you a nice boost in performance over your 6500. With a good cpu cooler, you could overclock it decently beyond 4.5ghz

Wouldn't I need a Z-motherboard to benefit a 6700K and overclock it ?

1 minute ago, Kwint said:

yes

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, Kwint said:

you're right. I didn't notice it was an h-170 on first glance. 

In this case, you may as well upgrade to a newer generation but the gtx 1080 is still a great card. like @GoldenLag said, you may want to wait until after the upcoming CES, to see if prices drop

Thank you all for your inputs!
Will wait CES then my come back here for some final inputs :)

Just now, Derrk said:

you're right. I didn't notice it was an h-170 on first glance. 

In this case, you may as well upgrade to a newer generation but the gtx 1080 is still a great card. like @GoldenLag said, you may want to wait until after the upcoming CES, to see if prices drop

im not saying for the reason that Prices are going to drop. (intel is probably not budging their prices). there are new Products on the horizon. 

also he can allready pick up an r5 2600 if he wanted to, but you would get buyers remorse if they teased new CPUs a couple days later and he could have waited for that instead

9 minutes ago, Kwint said:

The 6700k does need a Z170 board to overclock. However, the 6700k still has a higher base/boost frequency than the 6700 even when left stock.

temp.jpg.bfff816a65103450edcfd04e3cf22b6f.jpg

I recommend the 6700 since it should be cheaper, but if you can find a 6700k for a similar cost to a 6700 go for the 6700k.

You'll probably want to get an aftermarket cooler either way so the CPU (whatever you get) can maintain boost clocks instead of base clocks. I didn't see one in your list.

Image sourced from Intel:

https://ark.intel.com/compare/88195,88196

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

im not saying for the reason that Prices are going to drop. (intel is probably not budging their prices). there are new Products on the horizon. 

also he can allready pick up an r5 2600 if he wanted to, but you would get buyers remorse if they teased new CPUs a couple days later and he could have waited for that instead

i agree, at least 9th gen won't budge. 8th gen is dropping and perhaps may drop more??

My local Newegg price list today... Very weird, isn't it ?

787677526_Screenshot2019-01-03at3_49_28PM.png.67bc5891b51fb3bcb781c6f54f6d3584.png

not that wierd, 6th generations part is more like a dead stocks, they sell it for the same price they bought.

Newer component have lower prices from the increase competitions with AMD.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w