I am stupid Hardware change lost my product key

Joe-G

So I changed my hardware and now I can't activate my legit copy of windows, If I loaded up my old hardware (mobo) will the old product key be saved on the old bios?

There are illegal ways to get around this, not that I'm condoning them.

You can also use an OEM key (if you have W10 Pro I have one) and use the phone activation system. I activated a Toshiba laptop key on a Dell desktop this way.

no its windows that does this. take a look at the video linus made about this (cant remember the link) when you change your hardware around windows servers think its a new system and that you key is no longer valid on it. so you might need a new one. kingwin time lol

Just now, RogueLizard said:

You can also use an OEM key (if you have W10 Pro I have one) and use the phone activation system. I activated a Toshiba laptop key on a Dell desktop this way.

Please elaborate, I lost 200$ dollars worth of software here man its the real crime! Fck me

5 minutes ago, MoneyISthebottleneck said:

So I changed my hardware and now I can't activate my legit copy of windows, If I loaded up my old hardware (mobo) will the old product key be saved on the old bios?

What OS are you using?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, MoneyISthebottleneck said:

Please elaborate, I lost 200$ dollars worth of software here man its the real crime! Fck me

produkey

All you need to recover your keys

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

What OS are you using?

Windows 10 pro, It was windows 7 pro I just upgraded it 2 years ago pre built system in Japan. So if the company I bought this computer from doesn't reply with the original product key I'm fcked. I got so excited building my new system I forgot.

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

produkey

All you need to recover your keys

Didn't work, microdicks deactivated my windows cause of the hardware change. So now I'm stuck with the retail product key when I use produkey.

Just now, MoneyISthebottleneck said:

Didn't work, microdicks deactivated my windows cause of the hardware change. So now I'm stuck with the retail product key when I use produkey.

Bummer.

After that you go for something like Windows 7 [REDACTED] or if you are using Windows 10 then [REDACTED] is what you need

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, MoneyISthebottleneck said:

Windows 10 pro

Send me a PM and I'll send you a system builder key.

9 minutes ago, RogueLizard said:

9 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

no its windows that does this. take a look at the video linus made about this (cant remember the link) when you change your hardware around windows servers think its a new system and that you key is no longer valid on it. so you might need a new one. kingwin time lol

Can you guys explain oem keys and how they work?

12 minutes ago, MoneyISthebottleneck said:

Link your windows user profile with the windows live email account that was linked to your old windows user account on the previous install and log in to windows using the Windows Live email user account. It might activate itself then.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just ring MS. They will reactivate for you. Why is everyone so scared of ringing them?

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

16 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Link your windows user profile with the windows live email account that was linked to your old windows user account on the previous install and log in to windows using the Windows Live email user account. It might activate itself then.

I did that, worked for me.

If you purchased a Windows 10 key

- Just use the phone activation method and your key will be made available, so that you can use it with the new hardware

If you upgraded to W10 and got the free upgrade

- That was free upgrade and key is linked to the hardware. If you upgrade, you likely have to buy the key as well.

Alternative is if you had the key linked to your MS account, then it is easier to transfer it over.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Where is your old computer? What brand was it and what os was it running?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I've had my PC for close to a year now and i'm still running non- activated windows 10. Why pay $100 for a OS??

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

6 hours ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

I've had my PC for close to a year now and i'm still running non- activated windows 10. Why pay $100 for a OS??

Because it's against EULA.

It's basically the same as using pirated activators.

5 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Because it's against EULA.

It's basically the same as using pirated activators.

Its from Microsoft's website so...

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

4 hours ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Its from Microsoft's website so...

EULA too - they wrote that you cannot use Windows that is not activated.