Australian Math Control- Coalition and Labor strike deal on inane anti-encrpytion bill, bill moves ahead to vote which is all but guaranteed to pass

Syntaxvgm
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Here is a very good article from EFF explaining why this bill is bad and exactly what would need to be changed (for example putting individual developers in prison if they do not comply with orders to make changes to their systems).

individual developers? FUCK

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

11 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Yeah, something that wasn't really talked in public a lot. There's apparently quite a severe punishments for companies/developers who would break nondisclosure parts of the bill, which basicly means if the developer comes out and says "Australian government fucked us, basicly all your data is now unencrypted and we recommend you to stop using this service because it's now a huge security risk" they can be sued and the maximum punishment is 2 years in prison.

I have said it at least couple of times that this bill is one huge fuck up. The more publicly talked "assistance requests" with implied fines if developer didn't "assist" enough is already really really bad. Now that there's also parts that punish developers if they disclose that Aussie gov fucked them (which every really securitywise company would do, because there's no better assurance for security than company transparency), this bill starts to feel like a good reason to cut the sea cable and hope that one murderous island would float away closer to antarctica and all politicans there would freeze to death.

I'm not gonna like, I thought inane was a typo for insane....

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

43 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

Yeah, something that wasn't really talked in public a lot. There's apparently quite a severe punishments for companies/developers who would break nondisclosure parts of the bill, which basicly means if the developer comes out and says "Australian government fucked us, basicly all your data is now unencrypted and we recommend you to stop using this service because it's now a huge security risk" they can be sued and the maximum punishment is 2 years in prison.

I have said it at least couple of times that this bill is one huge fuck up. The more publicly talked "assistance requests" with implied fines if developer didn't "assist" enough is already really really bad. Now that there's also parts that punish developers if they disclose that Aussie gov fucked them (which every really securitywise company would do, because there's no better assurance for security than company transparency), this bill starts to feel like a good reason to cut the sea cable and hope that one murderous island would float away closer to antarctica and all politicans there would freeze to death.

And companies will put the fall on the individual.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

companies should just go "fuck it" and stop serving Australia.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

companies should just go "fuck it" and stop serving Australia.

they'd have ever increasing reasons not to serve the US as well if it not for being such a large economy

muh specs 

All parts black

I bet those passing the bills are using 12345 as their password everywhere... Which part of end-to-end encryption does they failed to understand. Wikipedia has a super long essay... Oh wait. It's Australia we're talking about. They need like 10 years to load a wiki page. Nvm. Move along...

Mel Brooks Password GIF

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

1 hour ago, Thaldor said:

Not just that. As the EFF highlighted, the bill does not make it clear whether or not an individual within a company can be targeted. If the bill allows this (which is completely up for interpretation), the Australian government could tell an individual programmer at let's say Microsoft and go:

you need to build in this surveillance capability that we are requesting. You're not allowed to tell anyone, not even your boss or colleagues about it, and if you do you will get up to 5 years in prison.

But hey, someone on this forum said that this totally won't be abused because they trust their government. The non-disclosure part totally calms me down and make me trust them completely.

I completely trust the part where they are not very clear on what can and can't be forced with this bill, and the part where they don't describe what happens if the company being asked to comply disagrees that the changes won't introduce "systemic weaknesses" (which is also not well defined).

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Not just that. As the EFF highlighted, the bill does not make it clear whether or not an individual within a company can be targeted. If the bill allows this (which is completely up for interpretation), the Australian government could tell an individual programmer at let's say Microsoft and go:

But hey, someone on this forum said that this totally won't be abused because they trust their government. The non-disclosure part totally calms me down and make me trust them completely.

I completely trust the part where they are not very clear on what can and can't be forced with this bill, and the part where they don't describe what happens if the company being asked to comply disagrees that the changes won't introduce "systemic weaknesses" (which is also not well defined).

There's nothing worse than the government harassing you and making it so you're not allowed to tell anyone. 
We do that to people over here to, just we don't make individuals add security flaws. 

muh specs 

All parts black

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

If that happens then it happens, there's not much the companies can do other than comply, leave or exactly as you said (and exactly as has happened in Belgium with lootboxes) they cut off one market entirely and serve everyone else.

Sure but imagine the public reaction if major companies pull out.

The lockbox situation isn't really analogous. It's forced companies to stop selling lockboxes in belgium. it hasn't forced them to stop selling any games at all in belgium.

2 hours ago, CarlBar said:

Sure but imagine the public reaction if major companies pull out.

The lockbox situation isn't really analogous. It's forced companies to stop selling lockboxes in belgium. it hasn't forced them to stop selling any games at all in belgium.

And neither will requiring a master key stop anybody from doing chat in Australia. I don't understand your point.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

And neither will requiring a master key stop anybody from doing chat in Australia. I don't understand your point.

The piece you quoted was talking about what happens if someone, (say the EU), passes a law requiring a company to not have a master key.. They can't oporate in both countries at the same time if that happens.

On 12/5/2018 at 1:08 PM, Syntaxvgm said:

force tech companies to keep end to end encryption keys for the government (or others) to access.

Why not just use an encryption system that the aussies do not have access to!

8 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

We do that to people over here to, just we don't make individuals add security flaws. 

Where is here?

But the corporations give the backdoor to CSIS and the like.

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Why not just use an encryption system that the aussies do not have access to!

any server in the company. Also any company that has a location in Australia but has offshore servers may still be targeted? 

Oh, and the having the government individual developers (without the company knowing) add backdoor under secrecy and jail time if not or they tell. It's really vague. 

muh specs 

All parts black

14 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Where is here?

But the corporations give the backdoor to CSIS and the like.

As noted it's super vague. The way it's written if you operate in Aus period you can be targeted. Thats what makes this such a problematic law.

Germany for example requires companies to remove swastika's from products they sell in germany. But outside of germany companies can do what they want. The way Aus's law is written if Germany's anti-Swastika regulation worked them same they could require a company to not include them in any product they sell worldwide.

They probably already do spy on the phones might as well be more transparent about it. Realistically don't put anything on your phone or the internet that could hurt your future or blackmail etc. It's common sense and its been proven hackers can access it anyway. 

Just pull out of there and lets see how they manage without basic things like bank's for instance...

On 12/7/2018 at 9:50 AM, RorzNZ said:

They probably already do spy on the phones might as well be more transparent about it. Realistically don't put anything on your phone or the internet that could hurt your future or blackmail etc. It's common sense and its been proven hackers can access it anyway. 

Does NZ have similar legislation? I hope there’s none, other than the fact that they’re a member of Five Eyes. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

6 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Does NZ have similar legislation? I hope there’s none, other than the fact that they’re a member of Five Eyes. 

Not yet, but its well known the government have access to the infrastructure etc, so I wouldn't be surprised. There was that thing with Kim Dotcom in which it was confirmed he was being spied on, so could be if you are a past offender, you are being monitored. 

16 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Not yet, but its well known the government have access to the infrastructure etc, so I wouldn't be surprised. There was that thing with Kim Dotcom in which it was confirmed he was being spied on, so could be if you are a past offender, you are being monitored. 

GCSB has fairly robust internet monitoring and analysis here, end to end encryption is still secure in that what is being secured can't be read/unencrypted but they can still gather the information as to where it's going, how much, how often etc. With enough probable cause they can seek a search warrant to search electronic devices of the person(s) of interest. This can be said of most countries too, frameworks and capabilities are all very similar but differences come in the legal side of it and how those systems operate in each country i.e. the exact same written law in a different country can have differing results going through court systems and Attorney General's.

Australia as far as internet goes is a basket case, that was clear after the whole 'Great firewall of Australia' happened. Once that happened it was a good sign a bunch of idiots had the controlling influence in internet legislation over there.

On 12/7/2018 at 2:50 PM, RorzNZ said:

Phones, calls and text messages for sure, that's well confirmed now. Send a text message with enough key words and threatening content/context and it will get flagged, you can take a guess at some of the key words ?.

Text based communication on a mobile phone is much more secure using an internet service and your data plan.

They'll find out they can't enforce it at some point... encrypted traffic is indistinguishable from unencrypted traffic as long as both sides agree on the encryption method. It's still just a bunch of numbers.

On 12/6/2018 at 11:31 AM, RejZoR said:

Why not just return to plain text everything ffs...

Even then, what IS plain text? You could read a file that looks perfectly normal when in reality every letter, or word, or sentence or what have you is mapped to something completely different for the author and the recipient.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Like I said (it appears to have been deleted) if someone would kindly build in such a back door, then grab some private communications between a member of government and their mistress/rent-boy, make those communications public,

Oh look, privacy is now a basic human right. At the least it would be specified only for them which just proves the point that governments should live in fear of those they govern.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

Like I said (it appears to have been deleted)

Think you said that in the other topic, no comments have actually been hidden in this one yet, which I have to say is a great thing to see ?