Thinking of immigrating to Canada after college

Grumbey

Hello all,

I am in the process of trying to figure out my life after college and was looking at emigrating to BC.  (I am a early planner as I feel more prepared). Currently I am studying English but already have some proficiency in article writing, script editing from theatre, etc. What would be my best route to prepare for applying and what would you all recommend I start doing. I know I would like to get a work permit there after I graduate and find a job. Not much else at the current moment. Hope I could get some advice here! Though I do know I won't get everything I need to know, it would be nice to get some from others who may have emigrated already or are also working on it.

Get some work experience first or better yet, have post graduate studies as professional or skilled workers tend to get accepted (at least according to what has been told to me). If you’re from a non English speaking country, you might need to take the IELTS exam that is worth $200, and get a score that is at least 7.5 or higher (ask your local British Council for more info). And also, I think moving to another country like Canada requires money. I’m just not sure how much but you better save. 

I think Canadians in the forum can help you better. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

Get some work experience first or better yet, have post graduate studies as professional or skilled workers tend to get accepted (at least according to what has been told to me). If you’re from a non English speaking country, you might need to take the IELTS exam that is worth $200, and get a score that is at least 7.5 or higher (ask your local British Council for more info). And also, I think moving to another country like Canada requires money. I’m just not sure how much but you better save. 

I think Canadians in the forum can help you better. 

Alright. Should be noted I live in America XD

4 minutes ago, Grumbey said:

Alright. Should be noted I live in America XD

Then you’re already exempted in the IELTS exam. I think migrating for Americans to Canada would be much easier 

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

Then you’re already exempted in the IELTS exam. I think migrating for Americans to Canada would be much easier 

So I have heard. I already have a side fund started for funds to move. I have also been working on building a resume so when the time comes, I can send it to multiple employers in hopes of getting a job. Job sponsors are a thing in Canada correct?

Just now, Grumbey said:

So I have heard. I already have a side fund started for funds to move. I have also been working on building a resume so when the time comes, I can send it to multiple employers in hopes of getting a job. Job sponsors are a thing in Canada correct?

That I do not know. You can ask the Canadian forum members. 

Job sponsor is a thing, but you and the future employer have to jump through hoops to prove you're worth it and that they can't just get someone who already live in Canada to do the job either.

I believe it's similar to what Linus had to do to get Dennis to come back after he was "deported"(visa expired I think?).

If you want to come to canada, just save up enough money to live comfortably for at least 6 months first (like between 10k and 20k depending on where you choose to live at) and go through the normal, lengthy immigration process. When you're approved, then look for a job. That way you have a "cushion" to fall back to if the job you found before coming here doesn't work out, plenty of time to find a new one.

Just don't carry that money with you, a scumbag police officer while on your way to Canada could invoke civil forfeiture to take it away from you for no reason.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, Grumbey said:

Hello all,

I am in the process of trying to figure out my life after college and was looking at emigrating to BC.  (I am a early planner as I feel more prepared). Currently I am studying English but already have some proficiency in article writing, script editing from theatre, etc. What would be my best route to prepare for applying and what would you all recommend I start doing. I know I would like to get a work permit there after I graduate and find a job. Not much else at the current moment. Hope I could get some advice here! Though I do know I won't get everything I need to know, it would be nice to get some from others who may have emigrated already or are also working on it.

I believe our government is quite lenient on work permits. Justin Trudeau's cabinet is quite lenient to everyone from everywhere. By the way, there are a ton of immigration services at your disposal, they would even set you up in your own apartment, free food, whatever you require, furniture. Especially if you have children! All the criminals jumping the border are setup in nice digs. Escaping persecussion in NY state. Very low crime rate if you are not into that game, also free healthcare.

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

By the way, there are a ton of immigration services at your disposal, they would even set you up in your own apartment, free food, whatever you require, furniture. Especially if you have children! All the criminals jumping the border are setup in nice digs.

Maybe OP is white. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 minute ago, Raskolnikov said:

Maybe OP is white. 

Yea I am. Lol. 

Just now, Grumbey said:

Yea I am. Lol. 

Good luck OP.

1 hour ago, Raskolnikov said:

Maybe OP is white. 

It does not matter. There are many programs out there, from church programs, to non profit programs, to government sponsored programs. Just have the right papers and they are not sleeping on a 4" foam mat, 2" away from your neighbor and eating with 1000 others. That is just the way it is these days.

Don’t immigrate to Canada soon! There will be a massive recession coming up. Canada is overproducing oil, and most of the Canadian economy is oil. So the value of oil will plummet and everyone is gonna panic. 

Also, why Canada? Is it only for work? Because I don’t personally find that Canada has many redeeming qualities. The weather sucks. The food sucks. Everything else is kinda expensive, especially food, rent, phone plans and internet plans. But Canadians are very friendly. 

Invest 1 million USD in Canada and the Canadian government should happily issue you an immigrant visa. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, wasab said:

Invest 1 million USD in Canada and the Canadian government should happily issue you an immigrant visa. 

Not at all, Quebec will allow you in, full fledged for less. They say you have to stay, but everyone leaves to Vancouver. Can't blame them for wanting to leave Quebec so fast. There is another scam they pull, where they open a restaurant, do whatever the scam is, then sell the biz to a cousin or other family member. Allows for the entire family to come in. I have seen it numerous times. There is even 3 new east indian restaurants that just opened. They converted one restaurant into two, then 4 blocks away another indian restaurant.

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Not at all, Quebec will allow you in, full fledged for less. They say you have to stay, but everyone leaves to Vancouver. Can't blame them for wanting to leave Quebec so fast.

Don't you have to be able to speak French to live there? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

8 minutes ago, wasab said:

No, Quebec just wants the money. They do not care about the rest of Canada, allowing them to slide over to Vancouver like that.

Even to work in the Passport office, there is no requirement to speak French. Heck they have newcomers working there with accents from over seas.

Try to become a citizen in the scandavian country, you have to progress in their language or your gone, plus you have to have a skill that they do not have. They are not in the situation the rest of Europe is with everyone trying to go to other countries.

Australia houses them in the Papa New Guine until their cases are solved.

The OP will have no problems even if the OP does not speak English at all. No requirements at all from the Canadian Government in that regard. There will probably be a backlog with all the border jumpers recently, $15k each was the tally, but you know how the government loves to hide what they spend, so its more, always more.

The downturn in the economy has forced a lot of trades people out of jobs. Low price of the barrel, no pipeline, oil sands. Plus Trump is not helping things on our end. And closing auto plants early is no good neither.

The main thing with getting a job, is the more people you know the better. Its not what you know, its who you know.

2 hours ago, wasab said:

Plenty of Only-English natives here... 

10 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Plenty of Only-English natives here... 

When I lived in Nova Scotia I had an easier time finding people who spoke Arabic, Chinese or Bahasa than French. And they say it’s a bilingual country LMAO (as in French and English). I would definitely say that Canada is multicultural, but the number of French speaking people is dwindling. 

9 hours ago, kokakolia said:

When I lived in Nova Scotia I had an easier time finding people who spoke Arabic, Chinese or Bahasa than French. And they say it’s a bilingual country LMAO (as in French and English). I would definitely say that Canada is multicultural, but the number of French speaking people is dwindling. 

Coast-to-coast bilingualism is bullshit. I wish we had an actual confederation with a greater devolution of powers.

10 hours ago, kokakolia said:

And they say it’s a bilingual country LMAO (as in French and English). I would definitely say that Canada is multicultural, but the number of French speaking people is dwindling.

Federal employee's are no longer required to speak French, even at the Passport office. Even on the provincial level, front line provincial workers dealing with residents of said province, may have thick accents from over seas. Even transit workers whom deal with the public everyday or have to make accouncements over the PA system on the traintransit system, can sometimes have thick accents where the riders have no clue what they are announcing. Have to wait and hopefully the extra workers at the problem in question station have decent enough english to understand them. It is just the way it is now a days. I dont mind Quebec trying to preserve their heritage and culture. It however should be "Pay your own way" instead of what it is today.

Lots of jobs out there if you are willing to work hard and break a sweat.

Got good work ethic? Willing to work 12hr shifts? Work hard? Can earn 6 digits easy!