P106 NOW SUPPORT DirectX (Not Official)

SkySway

Yo guys

Someone from china(yeah thats my country) has used something like deceptive software to go around NVIDIA`s DirectX Block on P106, which Im sure you guys know, is specific designed for mining. 

I got his tutorial file attached if anyone is interested, since its chinese, I did my best to translate it.

It seems after cracking its DX block ,this thing`s performance can be nearly identical as a GTX1060 6G 

Im still uploading that cracked driver to my google drive, once its done I`ll post link here

BTW, how do I let Linus know about this? Maybe LTT can do a video about this :)

P106.docx

you can post it in the video suggestions subforum and maybe they will see it. sounds interesting. do they route the video signal through the motherboard then?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Just now, Nicnac said:

you can post it in the video suggestions subforum and maybe they will see it. sounds interesting. do they route the video signal through the motherboard then?

Looks like it. It needs an IGPU to work.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, VegetableStu said:

the mining card's called the P106 though ._.

yeah, but it's a nvidia gp106, right?

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

yeah, but it's a nvidia gp106, right?

It uses the GP106 die, but the cards are known as P106 instead of GTX 1060.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-NP106D5-6G-rev-11-12-13#kf

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/MINING-P106-6G/overview/

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

yeah thats right, the only hassle here is that you have add your games on at a time in Windows setting, The best part is P106 only cost 400CNY(about 58USD) here.

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

@LinusTech @Slick

So they will more likely see it

also, it's gp106, not p106

Perfect, Thank you!

8 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

yes, but OP's referring to the card, not the processor (which is the same but I digress)

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

so it is a gp106 without display output? then I at least was right about that

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Question #1 would be if the new GPU-Z fake detector would consider it a spoofed card o_o

(my guess being it shouldn't since it's the same processor o_o)

or would it be smart enough to consider it as a p106?

8 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Question #1 would be if the new GPU-Z fake detector would consider it a spoofed card o_o

(my guess being it shouldn't since it's the same processor o_o)

Depends... It's likely just a normal run of the mill GP106 die... But there are difference in the card, such as specs on the Asus/Gigabyte website for the P106 cards stating it uses PCIe 1.0. GPU-Z might detect that as a red flag - All comes down to what exactly GPU-Z looks for when it detects the fake cards.

I would imagine that GPU-Z would have information stored in its database for the P106 seeing as how miners still monitor their cards, probably more so than the regular user. So the demand should be there for GPU-Z to include it in their database, and should be able to detect it as a P106 card... But, if you are flashing a bios or similar to get the card to work with DirectX then who knows how GPU-Z will read it (I haven't actually looked at the 'crack' for this, but I assume that bios flashing would be needed).

Edit: Looks like Techpowerup, the people behind GPU-Z, do have information stored in their databse for the P106-100.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/p106-100.c2980

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new on this forum, this is my first comment here. I have a MSI variant p106-100 (6GB) miner card I just tried the driver. I had the idea of using it trough the onboard output and endend up here. This is the most promising method I tried till now but still not working. I followed the procedure in the docx attached in the first post. But my energy saving and performanc card remained both Intel 630 as before. But! At least now there is an icon in the taskbar which wasn't there before.

(The original idea come from an LTT video and now I ended back here. So literally I'm running in circles)

Motherboard: Asrock-h110m dgs

CPU: Pentium G4600 (with intel hd 630)

RAM: 12GB DDR4

Additional information:

Nvidia control panel won't start. It says: "You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU"...

Do you have idea where I could have failed?

Edit: There is a hidden hdmi behind the io shield but it seems there are a lot of missing smd parts around the port.

Also I noticed something in the doc: on the last picture it look like the name of the performance GPU is "nvidia Geforce something" (out of picture) while my showed up as P106-100 everywhere. So I manually installed the gtx1060 driver from your modded driver pack. Either way it's not working. I will try to progress in the following days and report back

tmp.png

Thanx I missed that!

Meanwhile I figured out thanx to these:
Explains what should be changed in the inf file to make the driver work: https://github.com/gerdesi/NVIDIA_P106

Very detailed step by step description: https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/51928224

And this poster had the same problem as me so I tried to clean any remaining nvidia stuff again and disconnect from internet: http://nga.178.com/read.php?tid=15790899&rand=559
I don't know if I did the right thing, but I edited the driver inf file and changed the hardware id part in it too. (Picture attached. Sorry for the moonlanguage) Also I had to manually install the gtx1060 driver from the driver pack via decive manager because nvidia setup installed the p106-100 automatically and I tought that's could be a problem... Maybe. I don't know what exactly made it work, but should be among them.
I think these urls could be helpful if someone meet the same difficulties.

I can't wait to watch the LTT video about this. 

Oh and another thing: nvidia control panel still didn't work. ("You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU")

It was a fun project.

tmp2.png.

It's this one? 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY4s35uULg4

This is like, OMG and WOW for something below $70

I'm really interested to see if i can get this to work on the Asus P104.

It does have HDMI and DP but these don't give any signal.

2 minutes ago, DiGiBeTuS said:

I'm really interested to see if i can get this to work on the Asus P104.

It does have HDMI and DP but these don't give any signal.

Just modified the latest nvidia drivers to except the P104. Installing now!

i will post updates

Could you leverage this card in a VM (passthrough) and use it to game with a steam link/etc?

I only have a display plugged into my gtx1050 so that it the windows vm actually can use it, i only connect remotely/via steam link for gaming.

3 minutes ago, 00b5 said:

Could you leverage this card in a VM (passthrough) and use it to game with a steam link/etc?

I only have a display plugged into my gtx1050 so that it the windows vm actually can use it, i only connect remotely/via steam link for gaming.

That's a pretty good idea.... 

I thought about writing a program, which detects the modifications of the provided driver compared to a signed driver from NVIDIA. I would guess, that not many modifications were necessary, besides changing some binary flag to lock the card down, or something along those lines.

Now, the only problem is, that I don't know which driver version from NVIDIA to compare it to. If someone finds out on which version the modified driver is based on, I could go on and try to check this.

The modified driver is clean, and here's how you can check it yourself:

• Download both the modified and original version. The modified driver is based on driver 416.34. You can download the original one from the official NVidia website.
  • The executable for the driver installation can be extracted using 7-zip. This gives you a folder with the installer files and the setup.exe. Extract both the original and modified driver, each to a separate folder.
  • Use a comparing tool to check for differences between these two folders. I used BCompare, which has a free trial. This will give you a list of files that are different between the original and modified driver.
  • You can now see that the only file that was modified is nv_dispi.inf, which is simply a list of devices. All other files are identical.

I see the video is up.

Update on my case: I figured out some games won't work if windows is in test mode (Fortnite, Darwin Project). Specifically asking me to turn off test mode. But there is a way to selfsign driver and make it work on your system without test mode:

http://woshub.com/how-to-sign-an-unsigned-driver-for-windows-7-x64/

Great guide except the mentioned windows driver kit setup was buggy so I had to search for other version.

At the end P106-100 driver still wasn't signed, but the GTX 1060 6GB driver succesfully signed. Which is basically the same... And it's working perfectly with the card so far.

9 minutes ago, WDK said:

The modified driver is clean, and here's how you can check it yourself:

• Download both the modified and original version. The modified driver is based on driver 416.34. You can download the original one from the official NVidia website.
  • The executable for the driver installation can be extracted using 7-zip. This gives you a folder with the installer files and the setup.exe. Extract both the original and modified driver, each to a separate folder. 
  • Use a comparing tool to check for differences between these two folders. I used BCompare, which has a free trial. This will give you a list of files that are different between the original and modified driver. 
  • You can now see that the only file that was modified is nv_dispi.inf, which is simply a list of devices. All other files are identical. 

Nice, then verifying is even easier than I thought :)

Could you use an old graphics card for display output if your cpu does not have an igpu?