Was Windows Vista THAT Bad?

CPotter
Just now, firelighter487 said:

7 was fine, but 8 and up... nope. 

especially compared to macOS. 

Aero on longhorn looked the best of all, allowed to discuss

it performed like shit on mid or low end hardware, it was purely meant for 64 bit high end systems with 4 or more GB of memory, SATA drives and dedicated graphics cards

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Does anybody know what that keyboard in the video is? It looks cool.

"Live updating UI elements are now ubiquitous in modern OS's, including the live tiles in the Windows start menu..."

riley.PNG.821f796fe7bd01e43091979ec1d0021e.PNG

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

I had little to no issues with vista, I built a pentium 820d which was only my second custom PC and ordered vista 64-bit.  I remember specifically reading the version as I clicked on it each time, only they sent me 32-bit and I didn't realize it until the installation.  In hind sight this was a good thing because I loved the OS, my friend on the other hand had 64-bit and nothing but nightmares.  I never upgraded to windows 7 on that machine and waited until my 3570k machine to go windows 7

*edit: I should add I was on one of the lowest versions, my friend was on ultimate

*edit again: I should add, as well, that I was coming from an Athlon XP-m single core on windows 2000 so I thought it was the future.  I remember being amazed that I could use both of my optical drives and install more than one thing at a time.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

Vista was great.

BTW this was a very nicely produced video. No overdone memes or shoddy editing. Very well done. Title was much better than clickbait titles we've become used to. 

The whole reason vista was terrible was because of driver issues. The simple fact was that none of your crap worked anymore, and the OS ran slowly on anything but high end PCs. Remember, this was the heyday of prebuilt HP and *shutter* gateway PCs, which were all shit. No wonder why it didn't work well. 

Personally I used XP until 7 had been out for a year or so. Then I used 7 until 10 had been out for a while. Now I use 10 my personal computer, after disabling all the spying and auto downloading and live tile bullcrap. I wonder if the microsoft "curse" will continue and windows 11 will be shit, only for windows 12 to be good. 

2 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

If you think about it then Windows 10 is just another Windows 7, people hated 8 and 8.1 so they used the same codebase to make an improved version.

10 is an  "improved" version of 8.1? are you joking? 8.1 is so much better than 10... 

She/Her

As is par for the course for *every* OS that MS puts out, the initial release is terrible and you'd be wise not to touch it.

Once Service Packs came out, then things worked well.

Vista worked fine with the proper SP and a capable system.

Who here ran the 64bit version of WinXP? That was fun to find drivers for....

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

10 is an  "improved" version of 8.1? are you joking? 8.1 is so much better than 10... 

10 is better than 8.1 trust me. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1 minute ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

10 is better than 8.1 trust me. 

10:

• deletes your files (i know, not anymore but still)
  • updates without permission
  • installs apps without permission
  • broken search and start menu
  • laggy login screen sometimes

8.1:

• gives user control of updates
  • doesn't install stuff without permission
  • login is much faster
  • proper control panel with all settings in it

should i go on?

She/Her

10:

• deletes your files (i know, not anymore but still)
  • updates without permission
  • installs apps without permission
  • broken search and start menu
  • laggy login screen sometimes

8.1:

• gives user control of updates
  • doesn't install stuff without permission
  • login is much faster
  • proper control panel with all settings in it

should i go on?

Ha jokes.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

Ha jokes.

ok, if you can't see you're wrong at least not spam stupid stuff. 

She/Her

ok, if you can't see you're wrong at least not spam stupid stuff. 

Windows 10 is perfectly fine when you set it up right. I use Windows 10 and never had updates installed without permission or unannounced, I have upgraded to the re-release of 1809 today and nothing was deleted, it never installs apps without permission and I never have trouble with the log-on screen. The problem with 8.1 is that it was released too late, 8.1 should have been 8 but it wasn't so like with Windows Vista the reputation was destroyed before it got off the ground. 

زندگی از چراغ

Windows 10 is perfectly fine when you set it up right. I use Windows 10 and never had updates installed without permission or unannounced

if you mean by setting it up right disabeling telemetry and updates, that's not an argument. i'm taking about the 2 OS's without modification. 

I have upgraded to the re-release of 1809 today and nothing was deleted

when i listed the deletion thing i said "i know, not anymore"

2 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

it never installs apps without permission

look if candy crush is installed on your system. on all of my Windows 10 machines candy crush alsways installs. 

(unless you disabled the auto install app thing too when you 'set it up right' of course)

3 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I never have trouble with the log-on screen.

for me if i hit space to go type in my password that screen won't appear. i have to wait a minute sometimes before i can type in my password. 

4 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

The problem with 8.1 is that it was released too late, 8.1 should have been 8 but it wasn't so like with Windows Vista the reputation was destroyed before it got off the ground. 

that is still not an argument for 10 being better than 8,1. we're talking about 8.1 specifically. 

She/Her

I think Linus underplayed how bad the Driver situation was. We had good PCs when Vista launched, and we'd have needed to replace every peripheral if we wanted to move over. It would be about 2 years before the drivers were in good enough place to be worth moving over, but, by then, why move? Everyone else has stayed on XP for the time being.

MS' biggest mistake was not putting Vista on ice for a year while the entire Hardware Industry re-wrote their drivers. That's what killed Vista. No one wants to upgrade their OS and their routers, printers, mice & keyboards all stop working. They needed to change a lot of the driver stack, but that requires a lot of time for the industry to do the work. Which they really didn't give everyone.

@firelighter487

An opinion is an opinion, its clear that you don't like Windows 10 and that's fine but you cannot force an opinion. Any points (100% true facts) I give you'll just say they 'aren't valid arguments' so I am not going to waste time arguing with you any more, I unfortunately don't get involved with this 'fanboy' nonsense because it's petty and sickening. If you like Windows 8.1 over Windows 10 then by all means do but don't go around saying nonsense to support what you like and don't like, it's not cool nor is it pleasant for the rest of the community. 

زندگی از چراغ

@firelighter487

An opinion is an opinion, its clear that you don't like Windows 10 and that's fine but you cannot force an opinion. Any points (100% true facts) I give you'll just say they 'aren't valid arguments' so I am not going to waste time arguing with you any more, I unfortunately don't get involved with this 'fanboy' nonsense because it's petty and sickening. If you like Windows 8.1 over Windows 10 then by all means do but don't go around saying nonsense to support what you like and don't like, it's not cool nor is it pleasant for the rest of the community. 

i only said, that if you modified Windows 10 in some way that that's not what i'm talking about. if you haven't, then i've said nothing. i only thought you did because you said you "set it up right" 

She/Her

i only said, that if you modified Windows 10 in some way that that's not what i'm talking about. if you haven't, then i've said nothing. i only thought you did because you said you "set it up right" 

I am now no longer a part of this. 

زندگی از چراغ

The OS itself was OK

It was the user interface that sucked. I remember it used to take longer to remove the suck than to install the damn thing. And this was before SSDs.  I seem to recall that you couldn't turn all of it off as well. 

It was the start of Microsoft dumbing down the interface for people who didn't know what they were doing. They did this by removing all the stuff the people who did know what they were doing always used.

I bought a retail copy at launch - then went back to XP.

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

Out of curiosity and completely out of the discussion, anyone know what keyboard that is? :P