Favorite Nintendo Franchise

TacoSenpai

Favorite Ninty Franchise?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Favorite Ninty Franchise?

• Mario
    • Zelda
    • Metroid
    • Pokemon
    • Fire Emblem
    • Donkey Kong
    • Super Smash Bros
    • Star Fox
    • Yoshi
    • Kirby
    • F-Zero
    • Other (comments)
    • Mario Kart

Just wondering what everyone's favorite Ninty series are.  For me its a toss up between Zelda and Fire Emblem but I'll give the edge to Zelda.

While not a series published by Nintendo, I'll go with Shin Megami Tensei since it has been a Nintendo only series for years now (not counting Persona games since they removed Shin Megami Tensei from the title after they left PS2).

....seriously, I like most of those equally.

But mostly, I am a big sucker for Super Smash Bros.  Dec 7th needs to get here.

I do also enjoy some Pikmin games as well.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

12 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

While not a series published by Nintendo, I'll go with Shin Megami Tensei since it has been a Nintendo only series for years now (not counting Persona games since they removed Shin Megami Tensei from the title after they left PS2).

The only one I played was the Fire Emblem Crossover on Wii U.  That'll likely be one of the few titles that stays exclusive and not ported but I could be wrong. 

12 hours ago, Ithanul said:

....seriously, I like most of those equally.

But mostly, I am a big sucker for Super Smash Bros.  Dec 7th needs to get here.

I do also enjoy some Pikmin games as well.

Yeah its a tough choice between alot of them.  I have to say Pikmin is a series that only got better on console as time went on.  I remember sweating bullets to finish the game within the 30 day time limit and had it so I got all the ship parts and got the last one from the big bug boss at the very end.

It's a tough choice between Zelda, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem. I'll have to give it to Pokemon since I've been able to put more hours into each of them that easily eclipses the others (and Fire Emblem usually has a ton of content to go through by playing different units). I really wish Game Freak would drop Gen 5 and 6 aside from a good few choices (around 50 are usable or unique to me). I do want to see Black and White's seasons and GSC's day/night cycles come together to produce interesting opportunities for story or catching. #UselessVanillish

Animal Crossing is also one that I like though it doesn't have enough content to last more than a few days, at least until they add a heavy multiplayer component. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

It's a tough choice between Zelda, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem. I'll have to give it to Pokemon since I've been able to put more hours into each of them that easily eclipses the others (and Fire Emblem usually has a ton of content to go through by playing different units). I really wish Game Freak would drop Gen 5 and 6 aside from a good few choices (around 50 are usable or unique to me). I do want to see Black and White's seasons and GSC's day/night cycles come together to produce interesting opportunities for story or catching. #UselessVanillish

Animal Crossing is also one that I like though it doesn't have enough content to last more than a few days, at least until they add a heavy multiplayer component. 

I forgot about the Animal Crossing franchise there are quite a few titles from that now.  Pokemon is easily a heavy hitter for Nintendo might actually be number three behind Mario and Zelda if not above in sales in some instances.

14 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Pokemon is easily a heavy hitter for Nintendo might actually be number three behind Mario and Zelda if not above in sales in some instances.

Like TCG?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

30 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Like TCG?

That and some games the Pokemon series is a serious juggernaut

7 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

Yeah its a tough choice between alot of them.  I have to say Pikmin is a series that only got better on console as time went on.  I remember sweating bullets to finish the game within the 30 day time limit and had it so I got all the ship parts and got the last one from the big bug boss at the very end.

Yeah, the first one was tough.  But, it really made it one heck of a challenge though.  The bosses in that game where a blast to go against.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

6 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Yeah, the first one was tough.  But, it really made it one heck of a challenge though.  The bosses in that game where a blast to go against.

Oh yeah shit was more intense than the Normandy landings at points.  So many young sacrifices.  The sea was angry that day my friends.

10 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Oh yeah shit was more intense than the Normandy landings at points.  So many young sacrifices.  The sea was angry that day my friends.

Wasn't that the enemy that could fly? No, you guys are talking about the first game. In which case, I'm going to internalize a soft tangent and say the "rolling pins" were the biggest dicks in gaming. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

On 8/30/2018 at 10:33 PM, ARikozuM said:

Wasn't that the enemy that could fly? No, you guys are talking about the first game. In which case, I'm going to internalize a soft tangent and say the "rolling pins" were the biggest dicks in gaming. 

I only remember the asshole enemy in the first one that would pick up your dudes and reburry them so you had to pick em out again.  And those rollers were like pikmin genocide maniacs

I'm the one dude in the poll voting Mario it looks like.

I've played every mainline Mario since SMB on NES to the recent Odyssey on Switch. Loved the series as the kid, and still a system seller for me today. Old games in the series hold up and are fun to play today. Admittedly with some adjustment for 3D Mario controls.

I'm also a fan of a couple Metroid games, but I'm kind of meh for most of it, so I couldn't justify making this series #1 when I only really like Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. Likewise for Zelda, but with the additional problem of finding it difficult to replay games from this series.

Fire Emblem is too "new" for me to rank it high, as the 3DS games were my first. The GC and Wii games are definitely my favs here and the 3DS are fun enough. Hyped for the new Switch game. I biased toward console games over handhelds, which doesn't help FE's case since its localized English legacy is on GBA and DS. And why Pokemon is a huge Nintendo blind spot for me. I don't think the upcoming Switch one will do, but Pokemon 2019 will be my next attempt to get into Pokemon.

Also Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is amazing. Again, just one game I'm a big fan of though (I do remember liking DKC as a kid though, but that didn't continue forward), so hopefully they keep that series up on the Switch beyond the port.

15 hours ago, ono said:

I'm the one dude in the poll voting Mario it looks like.

I've played every mainline Mario since SMB on NES to the recent Odyssey on Switch. Loved the series as the kid, and still a system seller for me today. Old games in the series hold up and are fun to play today. Admittedly with some adjustment for 3D Mario controls.

I'm also a fan of a couple Metroid games, but I'm kind of meh for most of it, so I couldn't justify making this series #1 when I only really like Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. Likewise for Zelda, but with the additional problem of finding it difficult to replay games from this series.

Fire Emblem is too "new" for me to rank it high, as the 3DS games were my first. The GC and Wii games are definitely my favs here and the 3DS are fun enough. Hyped for the new Switch game. I biased toward console games over handhelds, which doesn't help FE's case since its localized English legacy is on GBA and DS. And why Pokemon is a huge Nintendo blind spot for me. I don't think the upcoming Switch one will do, but Pokemon 2019 will be my next attempt to get into Pokemon.

Also Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is amazing. Again, just one game I'm a big fan of though (I do remember liking DKC as a kid though, but that didn't continue forward), so hopefully they keep that series up on the Switch beyond the port.

Mario has definitely stood the test of time.  Mario 3 still holds up today for me graphically along with Super Mario World.  Not to mention all the spin offs and side series its been able to support like Mario Kart, Mario Party, and the sports games.  I wanted to include them but it would seem a bit much.  I'm the same with Metroid with the Prime series being my favorite hands down.  Fun fact about Fire Emblem is that it actually goes back to the NES (Shadow Dragon the one with Marth) with the first title though the first few were all exclusive to Japan.  Then the GBA titles started coming globally after Smash.

18 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Would it be alright if I went for a sub-series? Mario Kart in particular.

Sure why not?  I just know in the Mario verse there are so many spin offs and sub series. Screw it I'll add Mario Kart its big enough to stand on its own.

18 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Would it be alright if I went for a sub-series? Mario Kart in particular.

Was Forza too hard for you?

/s

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

On 9/6/2018 at 10:12 AM, ARikozuM said:

Was Forza too hard for you?

/s

Or was it not hard enough?

On 8/31/2018 at 12:41 AM, LordOTaco said:

I forgot about the Animal Crossing franchise there are quite a few titles from that now.  Pokemon is easily a heavy hitter for Nintendo might actually be number three behind Mario and Zelda if not above in sales in some instances.

It's a bit tricky to figure out which games are their biggest currently. In the previous generation there were some franchises only on 3DS or Wii U like Splatoon or Animal Crossing and other games like Metriod which were pretty much absent entirely. And with the Switch obviously it hasn't been around for long enough to have all the franchises. But Pokemon is definitely #1 and as a best guess I'd say the franchises rank something like this in terms of "sales potential":

1. Pokemon
2. Mario Kart

3. 2D Mario
4. 3D Mario
5. Animal Crossing

6. Smash Bros

7. Zelda
8. Splatoon
9. Donkey Kong Country
10. Metroid

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

11 hours ago, skywake said:

It's a bit tricky to figure out which games are their biggest currently. In the previous generation there were some franchises only on 3DS or Wii U like Splatoon or Animal Crossing and other games like Metriod which were pretty much absent entirely. And with the Switch obviously it hasn't been around for long enough to have all the franchises. But Pokemon is definitely #1 and as a best guess I'd say the franchises rank something like this in terms of "sales potential":

1. Pokemon
2. Mario Kart

3. 2D Mario
4. 3D Mario
5. Animal Crossing

6. Smash Bros

7. Zelda
8. Splatoon
9. Donkey Kong Country
10. Metroid

You think New Super Mario Bros Switch could outsell Odyssey? IDK man, that series has gotten a little stale IMO. The original on the DS was amazing and New Super Mario Bros Wii was pretty solid too but I haven't heard great things about the one on Wii U and I found New Super Mario Bros 2 on 3DS kind of disappointing.

18 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You think New Super Mario Bros Switch could outsell Odyssey? IDK man, that series has gotten a little stale IMO. The original on the DS was amazing and New Super Mario Bros Wii was pretty solid too but I haven't heard great things about the one on Wii U and I found New Super Mario Bros 2 on 3DS kind of disappointing.

I'm basing this purely on sales on previous consoles. New SMB Wii outsold Galaxy about 3:1, New SMB 2 despite being the least interesting entry IMO matched the sales of 3D Land. Then on Wii U the incredibly unimpressive New SMB U outsold 3D World. There is quite a bit of precedent there.

Though with that said, if you were to rank all the "3D" mario games by sales it'd be:

1. Super Mario 64 (11.9mill)

2. Super Mario Galaxy (11.4mill)

3. Super Mario 3D Land (11.3mill)

4. Super Mario Odyssey (11.2mill)

5. Super Mario 64 DS (10.3mill)

6. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (7.6mill)

7. Super Mario Sunshine (6.3mill)
8. Super Mario 3D World (5mill)

It's going to be the best selling 3D Mario, easily. So you're probably right ;)

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

On 9/9/2018 at 3:17 AM, skywake said:

I'm basing this purely on sales on previous consoles. New SMB Wii outsold Galaxy about 3:1, New SMB 2 despite being the least interesting entry IMO matched the sales of 3D Land. Then on Wii U the incredibly unimpressive New SMB U outsold 3D World. There is quite a bit of precedent there.

Though with that said, if you were to rank all the "3D" mario games by sales it'd be:

1. Super Mario 64 (11.9mill)

2. Super Mario Galaxy (11.4mill)

3. Super Mario 3D Land (11.3mill)

4. Super Mario Odyssey (11.2mill)

5. Super Mario 64 DS (10.3mill)

6. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (7.6mill)

7. Super Mario Sunshine (6.3mill)
8. Super Mario 3D World (5mill)

It's going to be the best selling 3D Mario, easily. So you're probably right ;)

New Super Mario Bros was also on the DS initially and cheaper and easier to get with a massive install base.  Though yeah I think as far as 3D Mario's go Odyssey is going to at least match Mario 64. 

I've really gotten excited for the Switch I think it honestly has a long lifespan with a refresh mid cycle with improved storage and battery life.  I mean say what you want about Nintendo and their console support but they tend to support their mobiles very well.  I mean holy crap the 3DS was initially released in March of 2011 and were almost approaching the 10 year mark and a few titles are still getting made for it all AFTER the Switch was released.  I think the 3DS title wise will be done by 2020 but will still have tech support for a couple years after that.  Given that the Switch is a more powerful system with the ability to be docked seamlessly at home I see it having a long lifespan. 

2 minutes ago, SupremeGOAT said:

Fire Emblem then Pokemon Then mario Kart then smash then breath of the wild only...all other zeldas suck... fight me...

Fire Emblem before Pokemon? What??? I bet you’ve never tried baby pokemon only.

Spoiler

Or maybe you’ve only played FE after Sacred Stones... Who knows.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler