Rumor: Windows 10 insider preview (Build 17686) might suggest an upcoming feature called "S Mode"

6 hours ago, NowakVulpix said:

Windows 10 Seriously why would anyone use this?

Security. They got positive feedback from Windows 10 S, few upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, despite getting Pro (instead of the base edition) and being free.

So while it doesn't cater to everyone, why not if it pleases a group of people?

6 hours ago, NowakVulpix said:

Security reasons? It's basically Microsoft's default deny feature for everyone. Anything outside of the Windows Store, whether it's legit or malicious will not execute. But I think it's way too restrictive. Some paid anti-virus programs have a similar default deny feature but it's way less restrictive than Microsoft's. Instead of locking down the user to the Windows Store, the anti-virus will not execute any Win32 program they haven't whitelisted whether it's malicious or not. I've done that with my parents' PC.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Security. They got positive feedback from Windows 10 S, few upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, despite getting Pro (instead of the base edition) and being free.

[citation needed]

12 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Any review article validating that? 

The only ones I can think off benefitting from 10S are schools, kids and old people. As I've said in a previous comment, most people especially enterprise customers and even PCs of old people are better off implementing default deny provided by their anti-virus [like this one] since it's not locked down to a single app store. But hey, at least S Mode will likely be free. 

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Call it L

because hold this L, Microsoft.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

21 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Any review article validating that? 

The only ones I can think off benefitting from 10S are schools, kids and old people. As I've said in a previous comment, most people especially enterprise customers and even PCs of old people are better off implementing default deny provided by their anti-virus [like this one] since it's not locked down to a single app store. But hey, at least S Mode will likely be free. 

25 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

[citation needed]

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/151582/exclusive-windows-10-s-dead-long-live-s-mode

2 minutes ago, Kamina said:

Call it L

because hold this L, Microsoft.

Called it what? Microsoft said it last year that they discontinued "Windows 10 S", in favor of a mode that people can decide to opt-in or out, and not rely on purchasing a computer with it to get it.

9 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

Who's to say those users don't know how to switch from 10 S to 10 Pro? Not everyone is as tech-literate as we are.

Then they are the kind of people that don't need the pro version

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

13 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Our PC world was doomed the day we started calling programs as apps.

Programs are still programs. That App thing is something only dirty millenials use.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

If this is legit then I can see schools swarming to get this on every pc possible.

The down time from 1 ransomeware attack would cost way more than paying a person to set this up.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

1) No feedback does not mean positive feedback. "People didn't abandon it" doesn't say much since a lot of people who didn't abandon it might have unwillingly stayed (lack of knowledge about how to change). 

At best you can say they did not get any negative feedback, but saying the feedback was positive is strictly incorrect. 

2) How many people actually bought Windows 10S to begin with? You can't compare a small subset of users to the general user base. Maybe those people knew what they were getting into, and were fine with it? What if 90% of those users that stayed were some big companies with an IT staffed specifically wanting to adapt this type of model? Those 60% that stayed might be a very specific and very small group of the overall users of Windows. 

3) They are very suspiciously not including the Surface Laptop in those statistics. Call me paranoid if you want, but when companies start excluding certain things from their statistics it's usually because they want to twist the truth to a predetermined conclusion. 

That is to say, Microsoft wants people to use Windows 10S (because they want to emulate the walled garden of iOS, but on the desktop). They want a high retention percentage, and they do so by excluding the groups of users with low retention rate. 

Meh, don't care for it. I don't use MS store anyway. 

Though for like education for like schools, it's kinda odd. We in school used various Win32 stuff, no store or accounts. For web design, animations, programming.

Maybe for just regular schools like elementary and not computer focused I guess. Though we did have a certain program on our school machines that once all appropriate software was installed they'd activate the said program, freeze the everything to that point. So anything changed or installed would be reset how it was on reboot once the said program froze. Forgot the name of it. 

Not sure why really enterprise would use it. 

The old people may even find it more confusing store wise and their UI than regular set up desktop hmm. 

But yeah, good that installed win32 programs before S mode can be used with it active after. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

17 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I would like to clarify something:

• S Mode: Runs apps ONLY from the Store. All apps currently installed outside of the store, will be removed or can't run (we will see).

This is going to be a tech support nightmare if true. It's bad enough walking people through their system when they accidentally enable tablet mode on their PC, so if they were to enable this, it's not going to be a good time...

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

8 hours ago, MageTank said:

This is going to be a tech support nightmare if true. It's bad enough walking people through their system when they accidentally enable tablet mode on their PC, so if they were to enable this, it's not going to be a good time...

When you have the mode enabled, like the other option I mention under Apps, you'll get a pop-up when you open an executable, telling you that you can only run apps from the Store, and how to disable the option.

This is the message Windows 10 S gets:

windows-10-s-2.png.0301eafd533901d11a1ca7d6079f3aef.png

If you click on "See how", you have instructions to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free. So I would assume with S Mode, it will act like the the Apps lock option I mentioned before, which opens the settings panel direly on the page to switch modes.

So no, not an issue, you would have no problem identifying the problem and how to fix it.

Ah yes, S mode. I've heard of this before. It's a Battle Royale game mode for Windows 10 where you are deserted with only the Windows Store and must survive with the limited selection of "apps".

On 08/06/2018 at 4:10 PM, Christophe Corazza said:

What does S stand for please? :D

Windows 10 Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious ?

Windows 10Shiticantrunanythingwtf

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

This is actually great for Schools, businesses, kiosks, and other things that want to keep the system locked down for security reasons or simplistic ones.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, NowakVulpix said:

So many things run on windows. Go to any store and they are almost 100% using windows. Stores, Kiosks, Schools, and other businesses would love to use this for specific thigns. Maybe parents as well for their kids.

1 minute ago, TheCMan said:

This is actually great for Schools, businesses, kiosks, and other things that want to keep the system locked down for security reasons or simplistic ones.

I'm not too sure about kiosks as that would imply the software would have to be available on the Microsoft Store. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

13 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I'm not too sure about kiosks as that would imply the software would have to be available on the Microsoft Store. 

Yes but I'm just thinking there might be kiosk that would do it. IDK. It's possible, maybe unlikely. 

36 minutes ago, TheCMan said:

So many things run on windows. Go to any store and they are almost 100% using windows. Stores, Kiosks, Schools, and other businesses would love to use this for specific thigns. Maybe parents as well for their kids.

Not so much that as it is the limited version of Windows 10. Trying to use UWP apps only is painful, based on what I've read.

On 08/06/2018 at 3:00 PM, captain_to_fire said:

Education - school administrators can lock down PCs to S Mode so that kids wouldn't run shady programs disguised as games

what about all the shady programs on the app store? 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´