Are there exist any USB to 10Gbit Adapters?

honna1612

Can anyone here recommend or know of any adapter that converts USB 3.1 to 10GbE?

Many adapters from USB 3.0 to Gigabit already exist. USB 3.1 supports 40Gbit data transfer so 10gbit Ethernet adapters should be possible.

It should also be cheap as possible without sacrificing anything said above. Thx

There are none. If there were, they would be expensive for sure. 10GBASE-T is generally pretty pricey, even the "low end" stuff, 

10Gbit is still basically enterprise level technology and anyone who's looking will almost certainly prefer to have a physical NIC over a USB adapter with extra overhead and latency attached to it. There appears to be one adapter on the market that's about $300 give or take but it's Thunderbolt 3.

https://www.akitio.com/adapters/thunder3-10g-network-adapter

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, honna1612 said:

USB 3.1 supports 40Gbit

No it doens't

Gen 2 is 10gbit(less in reality due to overhead.)

Thunderbolt 3 is 40gbit and uses the same connector, but is incompatible.

If you want to convert thunderbolt to 10gbe you can use any thunderbolt to pcie box.

15 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

There are none. If there were, they would be expensive for sure. 10GBASE-T is generally pretty pricey, even the "low end" stuff, 

if it exists its probably on usb 10.1 port xD

(◑‿◐)

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Another sticking point to ask is why do you need 10GbE? Is there something you must absolutely have to do that 1GbE can't do?

Well he asked the same question about 1.5 years ago so I'm assuming it's just curiosity at this point. The previous topic by the OP actually comes up on the first page if you search USB-C to 10GbE, lol

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Well he asked the same question about 1.5 years ago so I'm assuming it's just curiosity at this point. The previous topic by the OP actually comes up on the first page if you search USB-C to 10GbE, lol

Well, seems hard to believe he's doing it as a curiosity with the way the OP is worded.

17 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Another sticking point to ask is why do you need 10GbE? Is there something you must absolutely have to do that 1GbE can't do?

Everyone needs 10gbe. 1gbe is the slowest i/o on the computer and bottlenecks any ssd and any 2 stripped mechanical hard drives. If you have gigabit internet... its bottle necked by the 1gbe ethernet connection to your router. 1gbe is embarrassing in 2018 and should cease to exist along with 1366x768 laptops. There's a reason why the new motorola docsis 3.1 modem has 4 (wan) ports for link aggregation.

I'd stick with SFP+ for the moment. 10gbe ethernet is still overpriced. If you can't afford sfp+, get a managed switch and intel pro/100 dual nics for link aggregation. 

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

3 minutes ago, ltguy said:

Everyone needs 10gbe. 1gbe is the slowest i/o on the computer and bottlenecks any ssd and any 2 stripped mechanical hard drives. If you have gigabit internet... its bottle necked by the 1gbe ethernet connection to your router. 1gbe is embarrassing in 2018 and should cease to exist along with 1366x768 laptops.

So Joe Shmoe who's out in the boonies with a pitiful 8Mbps DSL line and the most he does is watch YouTube and browse social media could use a 10GbE network upgrade?

11 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

So Joe Shmoe who's out in the boonies with a pitiful 8Mbps DSL line and the most he does is watch YouTube and browse social media could use a 10GbE network upgrade?

Of course not. That person needs to sell their house. But this is an online tech forum... a niche part of society. I don't assume i'm talking to those people, especially not when they bring up the topic of 10gbe.  

Don't get me started on DSL. I have a friend in the boonies who is within 800 meters of a fiber backed node, and when the isp has to come out and replace their run to the node... they run more telephone line. Imagine being 800 meters from fiber internet... and being bottlenecked by brand new rj11. 8mb dsl.. they wish... its more like 3mb on a good day, when its working.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Why people always say: "Why do you need it. 1Gbit or 100Mbit is enough". Every single forum. Its VERY annoying. Would not ask if I would need it. And yeah everything with computers is enterprise until there is a day where it is not anymore. 10Gbe is around since 2003, which is 15 years old and way too long to reach consumers. Its 4 years older than Intels first mainstream Dual Core. So yeah...

With a NAS SSD I need 10gbit. 1Gbe = 120Mbyte/s = SLOW. I single 960 pro can read 2.1 Gbyte/s which is 16-18 Gbit/s.

Anyways seems there is no real reason for it not to exist since USB-C to HDMI 4k@60hz exists and there you need to do video compression and still need more than 10gbit for HDMI. Seems to be a lack of demand. For now.

23 minutes ago, honna1612 said:

-snip-

Anyways seems there is no real reason for it not to exist since USB-C to HDMI 4k@60hz exists and there you need to do video compression and still need more than 10gbit for HDMI. Seems to be a lack of demand. For now.

There is no reason to make them because there is no demand for them.

When consumer grade switches with 10Gbit become common place then they might start to roll out but until that day nobody is going to make them just because a handful of people think it would be nice. There has to be a sustainable market and profit involved to invest the time and resources to do so.

Edit:

Thunderbolt to 10GbE barely is a thing let alone USB-C to 10GbE. There are maybe 2 or 3 boxes on the market that do that over Thunderbolt.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

That right. But I need no reason why not so much exists yet or explanations how the market works :dry: 
I just need a link to a product I can buy. USB-C on one end. 10GBE on the other.

And since many AM4 and LGA 1151 boards have 10gbit and ASUS Adapter costs 80bucks, I guess now is the time cheap 10GbE will come soon.

10 hours ago, honna1612 said:

Why people always say: "Why do you need it. 1Gbit or 100Mbit is enough". Every single forum. Its VERY annoying.

Because it's expensive and outside of moving large files to and from network storage there's not much of a practical reason for it. And even then if you are moving a large file across your home network odds are at least one of those ends has a single mechanical HDD. A single mechanical drive will just barely saturate 1Gbps.

Even the above is a very occasional and atypical scenario even for an enthusiast's home. The most traffic heavy scenarios my home network would involve multiple video streams taking different paths through the network. Someone will run through the NAS, some will go over the internet and they'll all go through different ports on my switch do different end points. And even UHD movie rips aren't going to saturate 1Gbps, they'll probably fall short of 100Mbps!

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

12 hours ago, honna1612 said:

10Gbe is around since 2003, which is 15 years old and way too long to reach consumers. Its 4 years older than Intels first mainstream Dual Core. So yeah...

Not really though. Its current form has only existed for a few years (three if memory serves). What you're talking about wasn't even over RJ45.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 4/28/2018 at 9:44 AM, honna1612 said:

Why people always say: "Why do you need it. 1Gbit or 100Mbit is enough". Every single forum. Its VERY annoying. Would not ask if I would need it. And yeah everything with computers is enterprise until there is a day where it is not anymore. 10Gbe is around since 2003, which is 15 years old and way too long to reach consumers. Its 4 years older than Intels first mainstream Dual Core. So yeah...

With a NAS SSD I need 10gbit. 1Gbe = 120Mbyte/s = SLOW. I single 960 pro can read 2.1 Gbyte/s which is 16-18 Gbit/s.

I feel your pain. Its so hard for people to actually help and answer questions without forcing their will upon you. If you want a 10gb network, make one. Don't let sheeple talk you out of it.

I remember this same talk when i got my 6gb gtx titans. All the 780 owners saying... no on needs 6gb... 3gb is all you'll ever need. Find me a card with less than 4gb now? My titans handle 4k just fine. Where are all the 780's owners now? Haters gonna hate.

I set my 10GBe peer to peer between to pc's and my NAS for under $150 now they do need to be close to each other in the same room it's the crazy priced switches that are holding it back IMHO

setup

2 single port mellanox connectX 2 SFP+

1 dual port mellanox connectX 2 SFP+

These were plug and play I did not have to flash anything just setup mtu jumbo frames and was up and running. And once you have it you won't go back it's freaking blazing fast in comparison similar setup to and from a ramdisk oh and no I didn't need it I wanted it!

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

20 hours ago, mrbilky said:

I set my 10GBe peer to peer between to pc's and my NAS for under $150 now they do need to be close to each other in the same room it's the crazy priced switches that are holding it back IMHO

setup

2 single port mellanox connectX 2 SFP+

1 dual port mellanox connectX 2 SFP+

These were plug and play I did not have to flash anything just setup mtu jumbo frames and was up and running. And once you have it you won't go back it's freaking blazing fast in comparison similar setup to and from a ramdisk oh and no I didn't need it I wanted it!

I got a 24 port tplink switch with 4 10gb sfp+ on amazon for $250 (sold by amazon.com) but I think it was a price mistake because it went up to about $380 after i bought it. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-JetStream-24-Port-Ethernet-T1700G-28TQ/dp/B01CHP5IAC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1525102130&sr=8-4&keywords=24+port+tplink+sfp%2B

2 hours ago, ltguy said:

I got a 24 port tplink switch with 4 10gb sfp+ on amazon for $250 (sold by amazon.com) but I think it was a price mistake because it went up to about $380 after i bought it. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-JetStream-24-Port-Ethernet-T1700G-28TQ/dp/B01CHP5IAC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1525102130&sr=8-4&keywords=24+port+tplink+sfp%2B

Yeah I've been following prices it's just the thing doesn't do all that much but act as an interconnect for other systems isn't there a maximum length for SFP+ kind of remember when I bought the cables it was like 30 FT or something? I'll have to look and see if anything has changed.

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

1 hour ago, mrbilky said:

Yeah I've been following prices it's just the thing doesn't do all that much but act as an interconnect for other systems isn't there a maximum length for SFP+ kind of remember when I bought the cables it was like 30 FT or something? I'll have to look and see if anything has changed.

SFP+ is limited based on the Multi-mode or Single-mode transceiver with Single-mode having multiple different distances depending on the transceiver and MM generally limited to about 500m or less, depending on the application.

AOC and Twinax cables that use SPF+ connectors are a different story and are pretty limited for distance.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

• 1 year later...

I found my way here, looking for a 10g sfp+ to USB adapter myself.  It was a compelling enough discussion that I wanted to chime in.

So for the guys wanting to build a 10g network at home, I bought my 48 port sfp+ based 10g switch for $150 off of ebay.  So the entry point for 10g is affordable if you care.   Amazon developed their own switches for a while, then when they decided they didn't like them, they dumped them on the secondary used market, so about 3 years ago people were selling pallets of these things.  They arenothing I would want to use for production work, but they work fine for a test network, though the fans are a bit loud for the home.

But as for the usb to sfp+ adapter, everyone who says it won't perform so why would you bother...  YOU are missing the point.  if you think your machine must be powerful enough to saturate the network with whatever port you plug into, you are just plain wrong.  In most laptops that are a few years old for example, the 1g ethernet can only move 450M over the 1g interface.  So why have a 1g interface?  a) because 450m is faster than 100m on a 100meg port.  b) because I'm testing to see if this 1g port works. c) because the only port I have to plug into is a 1g port. d)... the list goes on.

In my case I build networks using 1g 10g and 40g network interfaces.  debugging a network is a LOT easier if I can plug my laptop into a port and see if it works.  I could care less if I can use the port at any speed, speed is not the point.  The point is if the port I must plug into is an SFP+ port, I need something on my laptop that is also SFP+ so that I can perform a test.  Lugging around a desktop or a big server just to test a port is a pain.  Everyone like me that works with 10g ports needs a way to test them.  I know there are 10GBASE-T ports on some newer laptops, but 10GBASE-T is not true 10g, it is compressed, and not the same as actual 10g SFP+  server ethernet.  My JDSU network tester stops at 1g, so again I can test up to 1g, but 10g I have to just assume is working, or test it with a server.  I never assume anything, so what should be easy takes a lot of effort.  And with 30 10g switches to deploy, I'm looking for a small widget to add to my laptop that can span the 10g sfp+ gap.  Even a little 4 port switch would work if it had at least 1 1g ethernet ports (tho a direct interface adapter would be better so I can see the port-state info of the 10g port, which would be hidden by using a switch to drop it to 1g.

There are real legitimate reasons to need a crappy 10g SFP+ to USB adapter, and no it doesn't even have to be able to have a lot of throughput, if I wanted throughput I wouldn't be looking for a USB device.  If I'm in a cell tower closet, and all of the ports are 10g SFP+, it would be nice to be able to jack into a port if I need to.

On 4/28/2018 at 9:44 AM, honna1612 said:

10Gbe is around since 2003, which is 15 years old and way too long to reach consumers

And IPv6 has been around for 20 years and in the last few years it just started hitting ISP's. The fact of the matter is, the technology will only become common place when their is a strong need. In the case of IPv6, we depleted all IPv4 addresses. In the case of 10 Gbps gear for normal folks, we haven't hit that wall yet. My guess is it will either be when 1 Gbps or faster internet connections become more common, where they average user would need higher speeds. But for many users, they only care about the networking equipment speed when it cant provide the speeds they pay their ISP for. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, BigTexun said:

I found my way here, looking for a 10g sfp+ to USB adapter myself.  It was a compelling enough discussion that I wanted to chime in.

So for the guys wanting to build a 10g network at home, I bought my 48 port sfp+ based 10g switch for $150 off of ebay.  So the entry point for 10g is affordable if you care.   Amazon developed their own switches for a while, then when they decided they didn't like them, they dumped them on the secondary used market, so about 3 years ago people were selling pallets of these things.  They arenothing I would want to use for production work, but they work fine for a test network, though the fans are a bit loud for the home.

But as for the usb to sfp+ adapter, everyone who says it won't perform so why would you bother...  YOU are missing the point.  if you think your machine must be powerful enough to saturate the network with whatever port you plug into, you are just plain wrong.  In most laptops that are a few years old for example, the 1g ethernet can only move 450M over the 1g interface.  So why have a 1g interface?  a) because 450m is faster than 100m on a 100meg port.  b) because I'm testing to see if this 1g port works. c) because the only port I have to plug into is a 1g port. d)... the list goes on.

In my case I build networks using 1g 10g and 40g network interfaces.  debugging a network is a LOT easier if I can plug my laptop into a port and see if it works.  I could care less if I can use the port at any speed, speed is not the point.  The point is if the port I must plug into is an SFP+ port, I need something on my laptop that is also SFP+ so that I can perform a test.  Lugging around a desktop or a big server just to test a port is a pain.  Everyone like me that works with 10g ports needs a way to test them.  I know there are 10GBASE-T ports on some newer laptops, but 10GBASE-T is not true 10g, it is compressed, and not the same as actual 10g SFP+  server ethernet.  My JDSU network tester stops at 1g, so again I can test up to 1g, but 10g I have to just assume is working, or test it with a server.  I never assume anything, so what should be easy takes a lot of effort.  And with 30 10g switches to deploy, I'm looking for a small widget to add to my laptop that can span the 10g sfp+ gap.  Even a little 4 port switch would work if it had at least 1 1g ethernet ports (tho a direct interface adapter would be better so I can see the port-state info of the 10g port, which would be hidden by using a switch to drop it to 1g.

There are real legitimate reasons to need a crappy 10g SFP+ to USB adapter, and no it doesn't even have to be able to have a lot of throughput, if I wanted throughput I wouldn't be looking for a USB device.  If I'm in a cell tower closet, and all of the ports are 10g SFP+, it would be nice to be able to jack into a port if I need to.

You could use an SFP/SFP+ to ethernet transceiver like this one https://www.amazon.com/10GBASE-T-Transceiver-Copper-Compatible-SFP-10G-T-S/dp/B06XQBFHNL

And btw this thunderbolt 3 adapter has a discount

https://www.akitio.com/adapters/thunder3-10g-network-adapter