Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

No, the injectors and fuel pump were all mechanically driven by the engine.

im just curious as to how the engine can drive the injectors. because i've never seen mechanical injectors, just electrical ones on EFI gas cars.

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

Damn my car does nice peel outs.

but you got skinny ass tires, so it's not hard.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

im just curious as to how the engine can drive the injectors. because i've never seen mechanical injectors, just electrical ones on EFI gas cars.

but you got skinny ass tires, so it's not hard.

205s

Still have to dump the clutch at least at 5K before it will break traction.

this could actually be a sweet ass daily. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5995321541.html i mean i'm not a big american car guy, but this would be great for scaring the shit out of people lol

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Thanks for beating me to it, playing Killing Floor. :P

4 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

205s

those are still pretty darn skinny (saying this as my protege has the same exact width tires), and they mustn't be that grippy, are they?

and is your clutch even able to handle that abuse?

18 minutes ago, terrytek said:

yeah, you won't see me driving around in one of these. though this one is actually quite low priced. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5963480386.html  looks like straight off the battlefield.

completely under water? like water seeping in? or did it keep all the water out? and how did the engine even survive underwater?

Completely under. It was amazing. 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

i dove into this rabbit hole. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

10 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

@MEC-777

So they finally put the Veloster turbo engine in the Elantra. Bout time! 

If they haven't changed it; 1.6L 201hp and 195ft-lbs. Not too shabby. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

49 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

205s

Holy cow. I only have to dump at 3k or so 

same size tires. Same size engine even... just newer

yours might have more weight over the back tho. Mines more 50/50... I think the whole 50:50 thing is a Miata thing

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

those are still pretty darn skinny (saying this as my protege has the same exact width tires), and they mustn't be that grippy, are they?

and is your clutch even able to handle that abuse?

Think about it in terms of car size:tire size ratio. He actually has a lot of tire for how little his car is.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Ah,  the bustling sounds of people from the US being excited about diesels. And being confused about their workings. 

If they sold those big chevy and Ford Suvs in this country,  they'd be diesel almost without an exception.  Nobody wants to own cars that big with gasoline engines as dailys.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

1 minute ago, RatedBlam said:

Ah,  the bustling sounds of people from the US being excited about diesels. And being confused about their workings. 

If they sold those big chevy and Ford Suvs,  they'd be diesel almost without an exception.  Nobody wants to own cars that big with gasoline engines as dailys.

To be fair, terry is basically Asian especially when it comes to vehicles. ;)

Also the Expedition is the size of almost a full length F-150 and the Suburban is even bigger, neither will come with a diesel any time soon, especially one of the monster engines. The Expedition is sticking with the 3.5L though I wouldn't be surprised if the 3.0L diesel becomes an option too.

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

To be fair, terry is basically Asian especially when it comes to vehicles. ;)

Also the Expedition is the size of almost a full length F-150 and the Suburban is even bigger, neither will come with a diesel any time soon, especially one of the monster engines. The Expedition is sticking with the 3.5L though I wouldn't be surprised if the 3.0L diesel becomes an option too.

Haha,  yep. 

I assume your petrol prices and more lax taxation makes it sensible to have big petrol engines. 

I still wonder why the Suvs have massive diesel engines too. A 3.0 would be more than sufficient for hauling some kids and drunk adults. 

Pickups are obv a bit different. 

14 minutes ago, RatedBlam said:

Haha,  yep. 

I assume your petrol prices and more lax taxation makes it sensible to have big petrol engines. 

I still wonder why the Suvs have massive diesel engines too. A 3.0 would be more than sufficient for hauling some kids and drunk adults. 

Pickups are obv a bit different. 

"Big"

None of the SUVs have a large diesel, at least by our standards. And yes a 3.0L works, but it's not exactly good enough to use the vehicle to its potential.

24 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

"Big"

None of the SUVs have a large diesel, at least by our standards. And yes a 3.0L works, but it's not exactly good enough to use the vehicle to its potential.

I wonder what classifies as a big for you then.  Over 8 litres? 

A 3.0 TD should really have enough torque and power to move one, unless it's a horrible engine. 

Its still a car.  At least here it's a car.  Because of weighs under the limit. 

Sure the biggest and most powerful is always nice,  but not necessary. 

5 minutes ago, RatedBlam said:

I wonder what classifies as a big for you then.  Over 8 litres? 

A 3.0 TD should really have enough torque and power to move one, unless it's a horrible engine. 

Its still a car.  At least here it's a car.  Because of weighs under the limit. 

Sure the biggest and most powerful is always nice,  but not necessary. 

Over 6 liters, basically. A 3.0L diesel can move our SUVs, but the problem is you need to be able to safely get up to speed at your maximum weight limit. A small engine cannot comfortably do that. An Expedition or Suburban is between 2500 kg and 2700 kg, and can tow the same amount.

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Over 6 liters, basically. A 3.0L diesel can move our SUVs, but the problem is you need to be able to safely get up to speed at your maximum weight limit. A small engine cannot comfortably do that. An Expedition or Suburban is between 2500 kg and 2700 kg, and can tow the same amount.

Hmm.  OK it might not be enough at full load and a fully loaded trailer in tow. 

What's the speed limit with a trailer there.  Here it's 50mph. 

Could it reach that comfortably? 

10 minutes ago, RatedBlam said:

Hmm.  OK it might not be enough at full load and a fully loaded trailer in tow. 

What's the speed limit with a trailer there.  Here it's 50mph. 

Could it reach that comfortably? 

It varies by state, places like California limit vehicles three axles or more to 55. Here in Texas it's 70 mph unless stated otherwise for normal hitch towing. Fifth wheels is 60 mph but those are these:

00-800-Dodge-Ram-3500-Dually-Truck-towin

You also need to keep in mind your vehicle should be able to accelerate on to a highway quick enough to not impede traffic, at a full load.

For 12,000 lbs I wouldn't be very happy running a 3.0L diesel that makes a decent amount of torque, but no horsepower balls to the walls to get on a highway. :P

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

It varies by state, places like California limit vehicles three axles or more to 55. Here in Texas it's 70 mph unless stated otherwise for normal hitch towing. Fifth wheels is 60 mph but those are these:

You also need to keep in mind your vehicle should be able to accelerate on to a highway quick enough to not impede traffic, at a full load.

Wow,  70 mph is pretty fast, faster than the national winter speed limit in here. 

Good acceleration is indeed quite nice. 

I wish that lorries actually managed that though. 

2 minutes ago, RatedBlam said:

Wow,  70 mph is pretty fast, faster than the national winter speed limit in here. 

Good acceleration is indeed quite nice. 

I wish that lorries actually managed that though. 

Big flat state, I don't think you want to be in it for two days straight driving through.

ikr

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Big flat state, I don't think you want to be in it for two days straight driving through.

ikr

You'd probably  overdose on brown. 

1 minute ago, RatedBlam said:

You'd probably  overdose on brown. 

You've lost me

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You've lost me

Wasn't Texas a big brown place? 

Or just the part you live in.