Can You Build Your OWN Mechanical Keyboard??

In a world where mechanical keyboards are mass-produced... One man decides to build his own CUSTOM DIY mechanical keyboard!

Check out mechanical keyboard parts at MechanicalKeyboards: http://geni.us/oFEiwP

Check out mechanical keyboard parts at KBDfans: http://geni.us/BZMD

Buy a SATAN GH60 on Banggood: http://geni.us/z55WUA

Buy a GH60 solid wood case on Banggood:  http://geni.us/KALuno

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

IDK can u ??????

answer yes

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Kitchen set [remixed]!!

I was actually thinking of building my own board, got the switches ready; this video came at a perfect time.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

also note for windows or any OS

you can firewall microsoft from communicating to your device till you disable the rule

sooooooo data collections somewhat in your power  

Pretty good run down on custom boards I think,  really like that connector type for hot swap-able boards. Would be cool see more in the future, could be interesting see a shout out to your humble bragging LTT poster that inspired so many hot swap-able keyboards.;)

But the real keyboard challenge will always be eliminating board Ping.

What a shit video. He overspent on such a mediocre board, misleading many would-be builders to think that 350 bucks is standard fare for such a normie piece of shit.

Who the fuck uses Cherry MX Shit switches on a DIY board?

There are three mechanical keyboards I want to make.

Keyboard One: Piezoelectric Switch

A solid metal assembly using piezoelectric for each key. Each switch would use a high voltage logic gate to detect a switch getting thrown. Bonus feature, make the key light up using the spark.

Keyboard Two: Quiet Buckle Spring

Make a buckle spring keyboard, but line the switch walls with a conductive soft material.

Keyboard Three: Strike Plate

The board has metal contacts. The keys have metal contacts. Make them touch and the switch activates. Almost the same as  rubber dome, but no weird graphite and rubber. Just two pieces of metal.

7 minutes ago, Alec_FC said:

What a shit video. He overspent on such a mediocre board, misleading many would-be builders to think that 350 bucks is standard fare for such a normie piece of shit.

Yeah. Real men use Sanwa.

PS: When are we gonna fix it so I can quote a post in an edit so I don't have to make a new post right after my own post just to formally quote someone?

Here are a few 60%'s I built. I'm also using the GH60 Satan PCB. These guys have lubed Zealios switches.

IMG_20170802_173018.thumb.jpg.4fe89df65ac2dd63a3bfdc4af6ee9f26.jpgIMG_20170803_121941.thumb.jpg.07ef0575ad1ec2967dffba82572eac36.jpgIMG_20170930_091952.thumb.jpg.6944ff74d5be27d1a66f25dc52bd0128.jpgIMG_20171110_135405.thumb.jpg.0bfc3cbd6d636cdfab0267b4b6b1991f.jpg

1 hour ago, RollinLower said:

seriously? I just finished my build!

Nice looking case. What switches are those?

6 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Nice looking case. What switches are those?

I'm using gateron blues, with LED hotswap sockets mounted in to them. loving your boards by the way!

Yes. I didn't finish mine though...

board.thumb.jpg.d4b2e38ba546b058168f986cb7c8da9b.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

3 hours ago, Alec_FC said:

Especially with all the nice new switches kalih has made.

I think video is fine,besides most of Linus' audience aren't going to be building their own keyboards when most are going to buy some name brand RGB keyboard for much less,building a keyboard is a very small niche anyway.

18 minutes ago, Bromada said:

Especially with all the nice new switches kalih has made.

I'd rather use quality Cherry MX switches than the knockoff clone switches,though I think today's market for keyboards is great when you can choose between so many switches that fit your personal preference.

37 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I think video is fine,besides most of Linus' audience aren't going to be building their own keyboards when most are going to buy some name brand RGB keyboard for much less,building a keyboard is a very small niche anyway.

I'd rather use quality Cherry MX switches than the knockoff clone switches,though I think today's market for keyboards is great when you can choose between so many switches that fit your personal preference.

the problem is its impossible to try any of them, i personally can't tell most of em apart, especially the "clones", its just a fucking keyboard so long as not super light then its useable for everything

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

That is the problem with cherry switches for double the price they aren't even that much better, if at all.

the interesting thing would be bigger keyboards, something like a k95 with 18 G keys, just because thats something more exotic to see custom

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

3 hours ago, General Winter said:

the problem is its impossible to try any of them, i personally can't tell most of em apart, especially the "clones", its just a fucking keyboard so long as not super light then its useable for everything

Well,for the cost of the case alone that Linus used you can buy a whole keyboard. I couldn't tell the difference either with some keyboards aside from MX switches having a more consistent feel,IMO. Also having to periodically lube your keyboard so its "better" than an out of the box MX switch is something most people aren't going to do.

But yeah exactly,a few saying MX switches are "shit" is a personal opinion while following the reddit bandwagon. Keyboard preference is the most subjective thing aside from mice,headphones, and monitors.

1 hour ago, Maslofski said:

the interesting thing would be bigger keyboards, something like a k95 with 18 G keys, just because thats something more exotic to see custom

Those would be interesting to see,and I'm sure custom keyboards with more than a standard key layout exist,but most building their own keyboards don't want extra "gamer" keys or only want the standard layout for office/professional use.

I was really hoping this would be a TKL.
They are so many options for 60% which I can't personally use. I use the function row and arrows way too often to get rid of them.
Is there a hot swappable PCB for TKLs?

4 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Cherry MX switches are really low quality. I recently bought a New Poker II with MX Blacks, the switches are scratchy, they bind like mad and some of the housings were malformed and didn't press down properly, quality my ass. Can't wait to replace them with Kailh BOX Navy