Can You Build Your OWN Mechanical Keyboard??

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Well,for the cost of the case alone that Linus used you can buy a whole keyboard. I couldn't tell the difference either with some keyboards aside from MX switches having a more consistent feel,IMO. Also having to periodically lube your keyboard so its "better" than an out of the box MX switch is something most people aren't going to do.

But yeah exactly,a few saying MX switches are "shit" is a personal opinion while following the reddit bandwagon. Keyboard preference is the most subjective thing aside from mice,headphones, and monitors.

Those would be interesting to see,and I'm sure custom keyboards with more than a standard key layout exist,but most building their own keyboards don't want extra "gamer" keys or only want the standard layout for office/professional use.

yeah, i can see why some people like it but like audio, its hard to sell something you can't see, (though a good chunk of the audiophiles i tried talking to are all jerks to say the least, especially those who literally go out of their way to berate others for having "gaming" headsets) i prefer visuals and comfort (like my cloud 2 being ultra comfortable in long term use) over anything else for my "gaming" experience given my own budget to work with

reddit is a very poor system for discussion and surprised how much people care about "karma"  which is really only good for hoard/mob mentality , also PCMR reddit was just all sorts of bad for me and i ultimately deleted my reddit after seeing just how poor most of the active users are in my experience

50 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Well,for the cost of the case alone that Linus used you can buy a whole keyboard. I couldn't tell the difference either with some keyboards aside from MX switches having a more consistent feel,IMO. Also having to periodically lube your keyboard so its "better" than an out of the box MX switch is something most people aren't going to do.

But yeah exactly,a few saying MX switches are "shit" is a personal opinion while following the reddit bandwagon. Keyboard preference is the most subjective thing aside from mice,headphones, and monitors.

Those would be interesting to see,and I'm sure custom keyboards with more than a standard key layout exist,but most building their own keyboards don't want extra "gamer" keys or only want the standard layout for office/professional use.

Reddit bandwagon is based on truth. Cherry has objectively been far surpassed by Kailh and Gateron. The Kailh clickbar has made MX Blues essentially irrelevant.

Speaking of keyboards and microphones, Linus could you make an ultimate gaming audio setup guide so the microphone doesn't pick up mechanical keyboards and/or speakers?

10 minutes ago, Alec_FC said:

Reddit bandwagon is based on truth. Cherry has objectively been far surpassed by Kailh and Gateron. The Kailh clickbar has made MX Blues essentially irrelevant.

opinions based on "truth", spoken like a true redditor

2 hours ago, naens said:

I would like to make a Mechanical Keyboard with this layout: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/b27a737bd1b8e65992deef658ad4e931

The profile should be SA. Does anyone have an idea how I can order the keycaps? Thanks.

keyboard-layout.png

check out the sets on pimpmykeyboard.com You can customize the sets but it can get expensive.

What's the point of having a kitchen set if you aren't doing a nerd cooking show?

Not that I'm saying that you shouldn't have a kitchen set.  I'm saying you need to do a nerd cooking show. :P

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

What's the point of having a kitchen set if you aren't doing a nerd cooking show?

Not that I'm saying that you shouldn't have a kitchen set.  I'm saying you need to do a nerd cooking show. :P

It's 2018. We don't eat nerds anymore, they're people too. Get with the times.

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

It's 2018. We don't eat nerds anymore, they're people too. Get with the times.

SOME THINGS ARE TIMLESS AND NOT DUMB AT ALL

tumblr_nuf02yIv3O1urz3l2o1_400.gif

6 hours ago, geo3 said:

check out the sets on pimpmykeyboard.com You can customize the sets but it can get expensive.

I couldn't find how to customize keycaps, it seems there are only a few predefined SA profile keysets...

Can you.. sure, should you.. if you want something cool, original and are a DIYer with money to spare, go for it.

4 minutes ago, naens said:

I couldn't find how to customize keycaps, it seems there are only a few predefined SA profile keysets...

First order the which ever base sets get you most of the keys you need.

Then Choose the "Individual keys" option for keys you don't yet have. Then when checking out there's a text box you have to enter a note telling them which individual keys you want. Tell them the row, size and text you want on it. Each individual key is $10 so it gets pricey very quickly as you add more keys.

Someone wake me when they make a matrix keyboard that is roughly the size of a Note 4.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 2/6/2018 at 9:13 PM, potoooooooo said:

Ortholinear or bust

I Would like to try that. But i need the escape button a bit off to the side like a normal keyboard :D That one is getting smashed on the regular.

23 hours ago, Alec_FC said:

Cherry MX switches are really low quality. I recently bought a New Poker II with MX Blacks, the switches are scratchy, they bind like mad and some of the housings were malformed and didn't press down properly, quality my ass.

Sounds like either a knockoff board or serious bad luck. Otherwise, OEMs wouldn't bother using them anywhere near the capacity that they do.

23 hours ago, Alec_FC said:

Can't wait to replace them with Kailh BOX Navy

Kailh switches break down quickly. They're some of the lowest quality mechanical switches out there. Would take a 10 year cheapo rubber dome over a Kailh any day of the week, and have.

On 2/6/2018 at 8:09 PM, geo3 said:

Many of the "knockoff" switches have far surpassed Cherry.

No, they haven't. Caught up or are close, yes. Surpassed, no. And definitely not Kailh.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

38 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Sounds like either a knockoff board or serious bad luck. Otherwise, OEMs wouldn't bother using them anywhere near the capacity that they do.

Kailh switches break down quickly. They're some of the lowest quality mechanical switches out there. Would take a 10 year cheapo rubber dome over a Kailh any day of the week, and have.

No, they haven't. Caught up or are close, yes. Surpassed, no. And definitely not Kailh.

Here's some who has no idea what they're talking about.

Just now, geo3 said:

Here's some who has no idea what they're talking about.

Little late to announce yourself to the thread...

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Left of field question, but if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be helpful. I have a Das Keyboard Professional 4 and WASD Keyboard, and the light switches on the Das are starting to get to me and would like to bring it to parity with the WASD. 

Does anyone know anyone/a company that would be able to do a full switch replacement on a Das Keyboard? Keys are pcb mounted so too fiddle to do myself without seriously injuring someone.

8 hours ago, Dredgy said:

Left of field question, but if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be helpful. I have a Das Keyboard Professional 4 and WASD Keyboard, and the light switches on the Das are starting to get to me and would like to bring it to parity with the WASD. 

Does anyone know anyone/a company that would be able to do a full switch replacement on a Das Keyboard? Keys are pcb mounted so too fiddle to do myself without seriously injuring someone.

Determine if you can open your switches without needing to deolderer them. If so you can just do a spring swap to make as light or heavy as you like. Here's how to open switches:

Springs: http://www.switchtop.com/product/sprit-custom-mx-switch-springs, https://1upkeyboards.com/gold-plated-springs-65pk.html

If you can't open them then they will need to be desoldered. If you can't do this yourself I'm not sure of any company that does this specifically, but there are people on /r/mechmarket who sell keyboard services like soldering and switch modding. So you can post there asking for services. 

How could i build a keyboard with just arrows/wasd, shift, esc and number 1-5 ? I want to make a frame from aluminium where i Place the keys in the same order as a regular keyboard.

2 hours ago, Daffhead said:

That's going to be a hand wired job. Your going to need a keyboard micro controller like the Teensy or Pro-Micro, a bunch of wire and some diodes. Research keyboard matrix wiring diagram. 

Then you will need to program it. Use QMK for that, it's an open source keyboard firmware.

For the case well your going to need to have equipment to either laser cut or mill aluminum, or know someone who does. But you can use http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/ to design it at least.

18 hours ago, Drak3 said:

And definitely not Kailh.

Have you tried any of their new switches? the linear box switches are far better than any linear cherry switch.

1 minute ago, Bromada said:

Have you tried any of their new switches? the linear box switches are far better than any linear cherry switch.

Yes. Cheap shit that doesn't last.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Cheap shit

I am going to have to disagree with you there but to each their own.

18 hours ago, Drak3 said:

What switches are you using in you current board if you don't mind me asking?