[Updated w/ Statement NH] NiceHash breached, resulting in a loss of $60 Million Dollars

ItsMitch
6 hours ago, apm said:

securing your shit isnt new tho.

True, but people need to learn the process.

8 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

banks are institutions, they're regulated, they're liable if your money disappears, crypto lockers aren't. I meant like handing your money to just any random person you happen to see on the street, not an agent of a business that's legally liable to you

It was clearly a joke.. 

1 hour ago, Storytellar said:

It was clearly a joke.. 

sorry, missed the inflection

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

The only reason I don't invest in digital currency is because it is not tied to any material commodity in any way shape or form. When you invest in a company your are investing in an entity that has a root value (material presence) and it's potential to grow is driven by more than just consumer demand.  But with digital currency, it's value is dictated solely by S/D and that S/D is only driven by human interest.  If people get cold feet it loses it's value, If people stop buying a specific product the company producing it still has a hard value and can produce something different.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

people need to learn to not use Cypto currencies like Fiat, you shouldn't use a service like a bank, keep your coins in your personal wallet that only you manage. only use these services as a middle man like mine, then withdraw regularly or for a exchange deposit, exchange withdraw.

I keep all my Crypto in personally controlled wallets. you can only blame yourself if you lose money.

Problem is I can't be bothered to actually run a wallet locally. What if I want to move my wallet yo another computer? Or access that wallet while I'm out?

I personally use blockchain.info works well and lets me access from what ever device I like. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I lost about 73 $ that wasn't paid out. my next payout would have been in January/February (I mine slow).

Only possibility for me to go back to Nicehash if they lower the limit to get paid out to external wallet, even if it would mean I paid more fees.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

9 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

I personally used an external wallet because I always knew it was safer, good thing I was paranoid and didn't used NH solution

Same here, I always used my blockchain.info wallet for NH payments and periodically transferred the contents of that wallet to my hardware wallet. 

All I had on NH is the amount that I mined since the last payout, which was around 0.006-0.007 BTC by the time they went offline.  Seeing as that's due payment and not even in a wallet, I'm not sure if I actually lost it.  It may very well still be there when NH comes back online. 

If it's gone ... oh well, I'll just mine it again.  Not going to be mad at NH about it, I'll happily keep selling my hashing power to them.

NiceHash use an insured wallet provider.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:LV7jr0XYDgoJ:https://www.nicehash.com/news/31+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=fr

I have to say this looks promising if they still do business this way.  We could actually see our BTC returned to us. Although I still think its unlikely.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

Problem is I can't be bothered to actually run a wallet locally. What if I want to move my wallet yo another computer? Or access that wallet while I'm out?

I personally use blockchain.info works well and lets me access from what ever device I like. 

You can sync wallets to the same address. And I think blockchain.info gives access to the private key so if you back that up you are safe. I use mycelium on my phone as my main wallet.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

16 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

people need to learn to not use Cypto currencies like Fiat, you shouldn't use a service like a bank, keep your coins in your personal wallet that only you manage. only use these services as a middle man like mine, then withdraw regularly or for a exchange deposit, exchange withdraw.

I keep all my Crypto in personally controlled wallets. you can only blame yourself if you lose money.

How can you guarantee that your personal wallets won't get hacked though? Especially if you have a substantial amount of BTC in it.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

18 minutes ago, Terodius said:

How can you guarantee that your personal wallets won't get hacked though? Especially if you have a substantial amount of BTC in it.

it depends how you secure them. you can create a paper wallet which is the private address written down and lock it in a safe. and if it was created on a non network attached PC or you do the math yourself to make it then it is impossible for some one to "hack" it unless they break into your house.

So I use 2 wallets, one is a paper wallet used as cold storage in my safe, and the other is a wallet on my phone with its private key backed up on paper in the safe.

All you need in a BTC wallet to get access is the Private key (think of that as a password), and the Public key is what you give people to send money too (username)

Here is a real BTC wallet keys

Public

1LnYYkYJeJuz94NX8KJLLeE2DbYcrEdUh8

Private

5JHPr2HRjmaKh2goJkTY4ca9DtvpRaFtXsCpY1ZfXsKaE4hmB9M

was made on https://brainwallet.io/

set to generic

passphrase: hello

salt: hi

You can download brainwallet from the Github and run it on a offline PC or VM or locally and create a unique address now.

18 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Their withdrawal is $100us in btc, btw. 

So that takes a while to hit with a single GPU, hence why this is a big deal 

idk

4 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Their withdrawal is $100us in btc, btw. 

So that takes a while to hit with a single GPU, hence why this is a big deal 

then this does not sound like a safe mining pool to use.

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

seems like the NH wallets were insured ... can't find the link right now. I'll try to find it again and post it later today.

This?

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:LV7jr0XYDgoJ:https://www.nicehash.com/news/31+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=fr

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

2 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

NiceHash use an insured wallet provider.

I have to say this looks promising if they still do business this way.  We could actually see our BTC returned to us. Although I still think its unlikely.

5 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Snip

I sent the link a couple hours back.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

seems like the NH wallets were insured ... can't find the link right now. I'll try to find it again and post it later today.

3 minutes ago, Klovnious said:

If this is true that is awesome, BUT will BitGo be able to fix it and pay back everyone.

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

I sent the link a couple hours back.

Thanks, saw it on Reddit this morning but couldn't find it anymore!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

8 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I doubt they'll pay the 61 million back, let's be real here.

Just now, wkdpaul said:

Thanks, saw it on Reddit this morning but couldn't find it anymore!

This link is from a couple years ago, but a reddit user(whos name I can't find) claims he asked Nicehash a couple months ago, and they were still using this solution. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

13 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

then this does not sound like a safe mining pool to use.

yeah I figured that pre quick and ran far far away. 

It's much easier than mining alts then just converting back to btc for cold storage though

idk

Just now, SC2Mitch said:

That's kinda how insurance works... as long as it isn't the clients fault anyway. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

That's kinda how insurance works... as long as it isn't the clients fault anyway. 

It can be argued to the moon that client was at fault for not securing the funds, why would you keep a ridiculous amount of money online when it can be easily taken in a very volatile area such as BTC

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

here is a funny thing that is happening about the MTGOX issue, when they went bankrupt now they settled and are going to pay back everyone back the money lost BUT at $500~ per BTC. now everyone is mad that they would of made 10x if they still had it. and the idea if its a inside job means they would of made 9x.

so if this becomes a legal issue it will be dealt in the country of origins currency not BTC which means they can get off luck in 1-2 years recovering some of the BTC and making out with money left over as profit.