Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Here is everything you need to know - Out Now!

GoodBytes

i kinda liked windows 10 but had to re-install 7. I couldn't find a way to choose a different tile window background. I hate the white, I want it to be transparent or black.. will this update let me do that? If so, will re-install 10.. 

On 10/19/2017 at 1:05 PM, Jito463 said:

Haven't tried forcing the issue yet, but Alcohol Soft's virtual drive is being reported as incompatible when I attempt to manually update.  I've updated to the latest version of A120, but it's still complaining that the drivers aren't compatible.  I'm contacting their support to see if any patches are forthcoming.

Just reporting in case anyone else uses it (or Daemon Tools, as they use similar drivers).

So, I may have jumped the gun in assuming it was A120.  Even after completely removing it (as well as SPTD), along with several other programs, I continued to run into the setup error.  To be fair though, the description from the Windows 10 setup was rather....lacking.  If I manage to discover exactly what's causing it, I'll post here (just in case others run into it).

Spoiler

Windows_10_setup_error.png

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

So, I may have jumped the gun in assuming it was A120.  Even after completely removing it (as well as SPTD), along with several other programs, I continued to run into the setup error.  To be fair though, the description from the Windows 10 setup was rather....lacking.  If I manage to discover exactly what's causing it, I'll post here (just in case others run into it).

Did you restart your PC after uninstall them? Did you try the "Refresh" button

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Did you restart your PC after uninstall them? Did you try the "Refresh" button

Oh, I tried about everything except standing on one foot while hopping up and down (and I'll bet you dollars to donuts that's exactly what I needed to do, knowing MS....).  Whatever it is that MS is flagging, it just will not allow setup to continue.

12 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Oh, I tried about everything except standing on one foot while hopping up and down (and I'll bet you dollars to donuts that's exactly what I needed to do, knowing MS....).  Whatever it is that MS is flagging, it just will not allow setup to continue.

Did you try percussive maintenance?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 10/20/2017 at 6:46 PM, Rocko Modaro said:

i kinda liked windows 10 but had to re-install 7. I couldn't find a way to choose a different tile window background. I hate the white, I want it to be transparent or black.. will this update let me do that? If so, will re-install 10.. 

Been around for a while maybe a year ago in the first Creators Update. Color is based on theme color.There's also a black theme for settings.

image.png.d425d37c4f791db69727e2f2922126e6.png

1 hour ago, jakinov said:

Been around for a while maybe a year ago in the first Creators Update. Color is based on theme color.There's also a black theme for settings.

image.png.d425d37c4f791db69727e2f2922126e6.png

Oh wow. ty sir. it is also possible to make it like the aero glass (glossy/transparent) from the win7 aero theme?

1 hour ago, Rocko Modaro said:

Oh wow. ty sir. it is also possible to make it like the aero glass (glossy/transparent) from the win7 aero theme?

Not ATM. Microsoft doesn't roll out design changes all at once. They do it slowly... Their new design thing is to make things not just transparent but blurry transparent. kind of like how some versions of Android and iOS do it. They have adopted it to many UI elements but not all yet. Their Icon redesign for example, came out in waves. They aren't going to do glossy anymore but they mad add "light" (not shiny but more glowy). They haven't actually announced they will do this but it seems they are planning to redesign Windows Explorer though.

18 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Well, I did finally discover the issue.  A poster on the Technet forums pointed me toward an XML file that contained the information I was looking for.  Turns out, there was absolutely nothing installed on my computer that was stopping Windows 10 setup.  So what was it?  The setup was detecting a DVD-RAM driver software that I had on another HDD in my system, which had been backed up off an old flash drive for archiving purposes.  The software wasn't installed, nor were any drivers loaded, it was just detecting the files and preventing setup from continuing.

Good job, Microsoft.  Way to protect me from an archive. 9_9

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Well, I did finally discover the issue.  A poster on the Technet forums pointed me toward an XML file that contained the information I was looking for.  Turns out, there was absolutely nothing installed on my computer that was stopping Windows 10 setup.  So what was it?  The setup was detecting a DVD-RAM driver software that I had on another HDD in my system, which had been backed up off an old flash drive for archiving purposes.  The software wasn't installed, nor were any drivers loaded, it was just detecting the files and preventing setup from continuing.

Good job, Microsoft.  Way to protect me from an archive. 9_9

Well, isn't it nice of Microsoft to periodically scan through all your files, even files which aren't installed and doesn't have anything to do with the updates?

I am sure they are doing that to improve the user experience... 9_9

By the way, if anyone wonders. As mentioned back on page 5'ish on this thread. There is a indentation on the This PC folder and tile view between the icon and the text. You have it on icons view as well.

Capture2.PNG.3e6b739d41b0a1b87be59c4302b1f85b.PNG

Notice how the text is not centered aligned with the icon

Funny thing is that I just noticed it.

17 hours ago, jakinov said:

Not ATM. Microsoft doesn't roll out design changes all at once. They do it slowly... Their new design thing is to make things not just transparent but blurry transparent. kind of like how some versions of Android and iOS do it. They have adopted it to many UI elements but not all yet. Their Icon redesign for example, came out in waves. They aren't going to do glossy anymore but they mad add "light" (not shiny but more glowy). They haven't actually announced they will do this but it seems they are planning to redesign Windows Explorer though.

I see. Well if I can change it to a dark blue / black color.. I think i'm going to re-install windows 10 then lol

It was just very annoying because I do game development and look at the window title background a lot :) 

Thank you for your insight 

3 hours ago, Arokhantos said:

gsync is finally fixed in windowed but when it randomly stops working rare btw it causes crashes in fullscreen apps when alt tabbing back into games :|

But it's still not fixed in windowed if your G-Sync monitor has higher refresh rate than your secondary monitor.

BTW, I have not experienced any such crashes so far. Make sure Fast Boot is disabled.

1 minute ago, Arokhantos said:

Its working fine here however gsync in windowed has a rare crash if not noticed can cause driver crash when alt tabbing back into fullscreen exclusive game, some games i always will run full screen.

Ok so it is the driver that crashes... but it crashes without the game? You sure about that? The game should crash with the drivers or unable to provide any sort of playable framerate.

GPU graph don't show up for my ancient HD5850...

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

GPU graph don't show up for my ancient HD5850...

It is probably because the drivers where never updated for it.

The reality of thing, is that MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision, GPU-Z, and so on... programs, beside manufacture specific features (for example: some extra voltage control on MSI card accessible with MSI Afterburner only), these software are nothing more than a skin over AMD/Nvidia driver APIs. Anything you (or the program) set or gets, communicates with the drivers. There is no magic. Now those, APIs that AMD and Nvidia makes, as you can guess, updates over time. Now, these software has most likely has all the compatibility to support those very old cards with the old drivers. But, in the case of Windows 10, Microsoft probably draw a line somewhere. Probably went with the logic (and that is just my guess), "If you have a card this old, you probably don't care about GPU graphs, as most likely you are not the target audience for this feature, else you would have upgraded the graphics card" type of thinking. I guess, if you really want to, you can post in the feedback hub, and if there is a demand they can see in going further back in support, and that is assuming the data it needs, the drivers can provide. I doubt AMD (or Intel or Nvidia) would update the drivers for such old card, beside OS compatibility (and even then) at this stage.

Update: I still haven't found a way to run the new task manager with the GPU tab on Windows 8.x. 

I don't know if it'll help others but I did the upgrade on my main rig last weekend. I ran into a BSOD after the initial reboot and Windows reverted back to 1703. So I ran the upgrade again, this time telling it not to download updates. It worked fine after that and continues to work fine.

I've only noticed two changes:

• The lock screen background finally changes every few days, previously it would only display some bridge (I'm sure it's a famous one)
  • I now have to enter my PIN TWICE to actually get past the lock screen

Another old problem I ran into (seems to happen every major upgrade) is that the task bar will get locked after a few minutes and I have to restart Explorer. I never found a solution for this, it always seems to go away after a couple of weeks. If anyone ran into this and knows a fix (scanning didn't work), I'd appreciate some help :)

The good thing is my default programs were not changed and neither was any other thing except for the indexing location. It somehow switched back to C:\ whatever it was.

Overall one of the better Windows 10 updates.

1 hour ago, crisro996 said:

Another old problem I ran into (seems to happen every major upgrade) is that the task bar will get locked after a few minutes and I have to restart Explorer. I never found a solution for this, it always seems to go away after a couple of weeks. If anyone ran into this and knows a fix (scanning didn't work), I'd appreciate some help

I assume by scanning you mean a chkdsk?  Have you tried 'sfc /scannow' (system file check)?  It needs to be run from a command line (or PowerShell) with administrative privileges.  May not fix your problem, but it's worth a try.

10 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I assume by scanning you mean a chkdsk?  Have you tried 'sfc /scannow' (system file check)?  It needs to be run from a command line (or PowerShell) with administrative privileges.  May not fix your problem, but it's worth a try.

Never tried chkdsk, everyone suggests sfc /scannow. Never did anything for me, however.

2 minutes ago, crisro996 said:

Never tried chkdsk, everyone suggests sfc /scannow. Never did anything for me, however.

Have you tried DISM?  It's meant for image deployment, but can also be used for some repairs.  Try the following command:

dism /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If that doesn't work, there are some other switches for DISM you can try.  I found a few of them listed here:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image