Anybody else find a lot of fun tinkering with old or slow hardware?

Potato*Salad

Getting stuff to run, optimizing, finding ways to increase FPS in games etc, and then for whatever reason i enjoy gaming on that machine more than i do on a capable PC that has it all easy because it is faster.

Feel accomplished.

I finished Bioshock Infinite on a Radeon 4200 IGP.. and i went above and beyond optimizing it ...

CanTauSces: x5675 4.57ghz ~ 24GB 2133mhz CL10 Corsair Platinum ~ MSI X58 BIG BANG ~ AMD RADEON R9 Fury Nitro 1155mhz ~ 2x Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 ~ 960GB x3 Crucial SSD ~ Creative SB Audigy FX ~ Corsair RM series 850 watts ~ Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440.

There is a YouTuber who does it.

CanTauSces: x5675 4.57ghz ~ 24GB 2133mhz CL10 Corsair Platinum ~ MSI X58 BIG BANG ~ AMD RADEON R9 Fury Nitro 1155mhz ~ 2x Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 ~ 960GB x3 Crucial SSD ~ Creative SB Audigy FX ~ Corsair RM series 850 watts ~ Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440.

I have an Intel Atom tablet and a Pentium 2900J desktop (just a faster Atom) that I like messing with.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I love it.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

Im trying to get some core 2 duo or xeon stuff up and running for a cheapy gaming rig sort of.

But i also managed to score some old VGA monitors that im going to try and build a multiple monitor rig for random stuff.

The older stuff is just great of messing with and not worrying about breaking.

i like doing that, but diffrently. i have a lot of computers from the late 90's. windows 95 and 98 machines. and i try and use really lightweight linux distro's on them and see what you can still do with a system of that age. and yes, optimizing games is a lot of fun. 

She/Her

I mostly just take them apart for the interesting parts. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

just because its old or "slow" by modern standards does not mean its useless. you would be quite supprised what "old" hardware can do. 

https://www.pfsense.org/ turn your old systems into the best router you will ever have. 

http://wtware.com/ turn that old system into a thin work station if you have some sort of VM environment

I barely have time or patience to play the game what so ever, imagine on crappy setting because of old hardware lol

Nah thanks.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

yeah its fun and more problems which is more fun to solve. i building a Q6600 build with my 3 year old to teach her about pc's and its great becuase it dont really matter if she breaks anything as its all old hardware.  its good to do old builds just to build up general pc knowledge but sometimes finding them drivers and bios updates can be a nightmare

On 9/25/2017 at 7:54 PM, Potato*Salad said:

Getting stuff to run, optimizing, finding ways to increase FPS in games etc, and then for whatever reason i enjoy gaming on that machine more than i do on a capable PC that has it all easy because it is faster.

Feel accomplished.

I finished Bioshock Infinite on a Radeon 4200 IGP.. and i went above and beyond optimizing it ...

This is how I learned to build a PC as a kid

Tbh, I gamed a heck of a lot more on my old laptop with the Radeon 5470 graphics (that got a pretty massive overclock from 750 up to 900 MHz) than I ever have on my desktop I built later on. I hardly game at all anymore, which is partly why I haven't bothered upgrading the GTX 960. Sad to say, I could probably sell the card, run on iGPU, and not miss it 95% of the time.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Old in what context?

Because I would have more fun making my own Apple II or ZX Spectrum than playing with a Core 2 Duo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Old in what context?

Because I would have more fun making my own Apple II or ZX Spectrum than playing with a Core 2 Duo.

Isn't there people who are building their own 8 bit computer chips at home these days.

On 9/26/2017 at 7:42 PM, lumacman said:

just because its old or "slow" by modern standards does not mean its useless. you would be quite supprised what "old" hardware can do. 

https://www.pfsense.org/ turn your old systems into the best router you will ever have. 

http://wtware.com/ turn that old system into a thin work station if you have some sort of VM environment

What if it is so old it doesnt have an ethernet connection ;)

Definitely, the challenge of trying to get TES Morrowind on a raspberry pi or Civ 5 on a Bay Trail tablet.

On 9/25/2017 at 8:07 PM, valdyrgramr said:

I have a 6600 that sounds like a leafblower fighting a chainsaw.

I literally LOL'd at this.  I know your pain.

Any ways, I have this weird obsession with trying to make media center streaming PCs with the littlest hardware possible.  Whether it's a Pi, Pine64, or old atom thin client PCs.  The dream would be to also stream Steam with the older hardware but I have not had a playable experience yet with the old intel atom thin client I have with nvidia ion graphics haha.  Also want to incorporate having the LED backdrop setups like Lightpack which I have both a kickstarter version and a pre-kickstarter version sold off of ebay from the same Russian dude.  Since it screen scrapes and averages the color per screen cap box to designate color to the LED array while streaming content it can be quite intensive for lower powered systems which I have yet to find my perfect balance but Raspberry Pi 3 has done the best per dollar performance of all of these I've used so far.