i7 4790K high temperatures

So the i7 4790K is about 50-60°C idle, when it reaches to about 60-70% it's 70-80°C. When I'm doing prime95 v2.66 Small FFT test, it reaches to 90-100°C. I have turbo mode enabled. I have tried reapplying the thermal paste, but still same results. My ambient room temperature is somewhere above 20°C.

Specs:
Asus Maximus Ranger VII
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

im inclined that 212 Evo is a budget cooler and doesn't keep up very well at load

the cooler is a bit weak but what voltages and do you have any OC?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

13 minutes ago, CaptainSaint said:

So the i7 4790K is about 50-60°C idle, when it reaches to about 60-70% it's 70-80°C. When I'm doing prime95 v2.66 Small FFT test, it reaches to 90-100°C. I have turbo mode enabled. I have tried reapplying the thermal paste, but still same results. My ambient room temperature is somewhere above 20°C.

Specs:
Asus Maximus Ranger VII

I have the same processor with the Phanteks PH-TC12LS cooler, and it too sits around 45-55 C at idle, reaching 75-88 C under gaming loads. I haven't stress tested it in a long time, but I believe it gets up to 95-98 C under synthetic tests.

The problem isn't your cooler - the Hyper 212 Evo is still one of the best price/performance air coolers on the market. Intel makes sick profit margins on these CPU's by cutting corners and overcharging for them because at the time, AMD had no competition on the market. They do this by cutting corners where they can, similar to how certain console manufacturers made their older consoles that resulted in red rings / yellow light of death.

Certain Lot Numbers of 4th gen i5 and i7 unlocked CPU's had TIM grease poorly applied between the CPU die and the heatspreader lid at the factory. This is why people de-lid their CPU's sometimes to re-apply the TIM grease, which can improve temperatures a bit, but completely voids your warranty. Mine happens to be one of the affected lot numbers, but I only paid $138 fr my i7-4790K, so I'm not going to complain.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

idle sounds like there is something wrong with the thermal paste application

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

im inclined that 212 Evo is a budget cooler and doesn't keep up very well at load

Yeah, the 212 is a cheap cooler that performs well for it's price, however overall performance is still shit compared to other air coolers even. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

I'm willing to bet it's the voltages. Haswell can be tamed, even without delidding. ASUS has a habit of forcing 1.35-1.4V on those 4790Ks

ooooh interesting. I hadn't even thought about trying to undervolt, despite doing some undervolting on my XPS 15. I'll definitely look into this when I get home though. Thanks!

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

4 minutes ago, kirashi said:

ooooh interesting. I hadn't even thought about trying to undervolt, despite doing some undervolting on my XPS 15. I'll definitely look into this when I get home though. Thanks!

Turn off the enhanced turbocores whilst you're at it. If you want higher boostclocks, just up the max. turbo yourself, without adding 200mv at the same time.

Seriously, ASUS borks the BIOS so hard for regular people, I wonder why they keep buying them.

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Turn off the enhanced turbocores whilst you're at it. If you want higher boostclocks, just up the max. turbo yourself, without adding 200mv at the same time.

Seriously, ASUS borks the BIOS so hard for regular people, I wonder why they keep buying them.

I've got an MSI mobo, but I'd imagine most are similar since they like to mess with things by using their fancy UEFI BIOS interfaces. To be honest, I love Dell's professional corporate approach to UEFI BIOS's: they use the same enterprise looking BIOS that you'll find on their server hardware. It's so nice, and standardized between systems.

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

well with the intel 4000 series they used mustard sauce instead of soldering the CPU to the IHS. 

At least they're not using mustard gas...

7 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

well with the intel 4000 series they used mustard sauce instead of soldering the CPU to the IHS. 

My 4790K when I had it also stayed around 50C. If you want it to be lower you really have to delid the thing. 

My i5 4690k idles at 34°C and only exceeds 65°C under synthetic tests, with the stock cooler.

I guess you just need to be lucky with the TIM application?

The CPU isn't overclocked. I have tried overclocking, but then the temps are just too high. Voltage is about 1.2V.

1 hour ago, CaptainSaint said:

The CPU isn't overclocked. I have tried overclocking, but then the temps are just too high. Voltage is about 1.2V.

Then you either have a bad chip or have mounted the cooler wrong, even with a 212 those temps are way off. Before i delidded my 4790k prime95 would give me around 70-75c on prime95 v26.6 with an r1 ultimate, granted it's a dual tower cooler your temps should be lower.

What you want to do is lower your voltage further, the majority of 4790ks should be able to run stock at around 1.1v.

also you do realise prime95 gives unrealistic temps anyway... you won't get Them temps gaming etc.

I'm going to try reinstalling the cpu cooler then and also change the thermal paste. Also I know that prime95 gives unrealistic temps, but when I'm gaming, which is about 60-70% load, the temps are high too 70-80c.

11 hours ago, CaptainSaint said:

Specs:
Asus Maximus Ranger VII

1) Get a better cooler, something like Corsair H100i V2

2)Delid it and use the Grizzly liquid metal, you can find exact guides how to use it on youtube

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Those temps are awful. I'd delid that CPU if I were you and invest in a better cooler.

For comparison, my delided 4790k runs cooler at an OC of 4,7GHz in a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX case with a Coolermaster Master Liquid 240 AiO (on those values aren't fine tuned):
VCore: 1,300V

VRIN: 1,810V

VRING: 1,199V

Prime95 v26.6 Small FFT: max ~86°C (ambient temp ~25–27°C atm)

Without delidding it might be at around your temps but mine is oc'ed.

Go to your BIOS and check voltages. Try setting them manually to their defaults.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

47 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

VCore: 1,300V

VRIN: 1,810V

VRING: 1,199V

Using the same settings here, I do have speedstep enabled but top all cores at 4.7Ghz for a max of 86*c on a single 120mm Rad+2 1400Rpm (variable) fans

When Gaming I'm sitting around 70-75*c on a 50-65% CPU load

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

So I changed my thermal paste and "undervolted" to 1.15V. Also I overclocked to CPU to a 4.4GHZ. Ran prime95 and I got about 78c in full load, 30-45c in idle and 60c while gaming. I think that's good enough for now.