iFixIt Gives Surface Laptop Lowest-Possible Score (0 of 10)

TheReal1980

So it is a piece of ish.

Good lesson though. If it smells like ish, 99.9% chance it's ish.

It was included in the product announcement that the Surface Laptop would be sealed and not repairable. :|

Pointless to make a video and complain about it since it was the expectation from the start.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It even states when purchasing the device that once the order is made that it cannot be changed or upgraded as it would be a sealed device.

Making a mountain out of a mole hill people.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The whole point of this build is that its pretty much impossible for something to come loose. The idea of flying it together is to make the whole thing feel solid in such a thin form factor.

Have any of you actually picked up and played with one of these? The feel solid and really well built. None of the other thin devices I have used (Mac air included) feel that solid.

Also a shout out to Microsoft warranties. I had a Surface 3 that was brought in a different country that was 11 and a half months old that they swapped out on the spot for a brand new one at a Microsoft store. Never seen dell or apple do that before.

If you want a machine you can upgrade, by a HP or dell and deal with it.

How are you supposed to get rid of dust?!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

It was included in the product announcement that the Surface Laptop would be sealed and not repairable. :|

Pointless to make a video and complain about it since it was the expectation from the start.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It even states when purchasing the device that once the order is made that it cannot be changed or upgraded as it would be a sealed device.

Making a mountain out of a mole hill people.

So, as long as they tell you that you're buying a disposable laptop for over $1,000, then that makes it all okay?

*EDIT*

This is like buying a car where the tires are permanently affixed to the frame, and once they wear out you have to throw it away and buy a new car.  It's really no different than that.

18 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

That's some impressive dickery.

LOL... indeed it is.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

This is like buying a car where the tires are permanently affixed to the frame, and once they wear out you have to throw it away and buy a new car.  It's really no different than that.

Not really. Tyres are a replaceable part because they are expected to ware out.

Nothing on the laptop is expected to ware out over its predicted three year life. Even the battery won't take a huge hit in that time. If something does go wrong, warranty is there to cover you. Buy the extended Microsoft warranty, or don't if you live in a country that has good consumer protection. 

The usual lifespan of a laptop is about 3 years. No idea what Microsoft's warranty is like (I had to return all my Surface Pro 4's within a few weeks of getting them) but in NZ, consumer law should give protection for up to 3 years if that's the generally expected lifespan. So rather than getting it repaired, you just get a new one if it breaks.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

5 minutes ago, NZLaurence said:

Not really. Tyres are a replaceable part because they are expected to ware out.

Nothing on the laptop is expected to ware out over its predicted three year life. Even the battery won't take a huge hit in that time. If something does go wrong, warranty is there to cover you. Buy the extended Microsoft warranty, or don't if you live in a country that has good consumer protection. 

Regardless of warranty, 3 years is nothing.  We sell (among other things) refurbished laptops where I work, and some of them are from the Vista days.  Replace thermal grease, fresh install of Windows 7 or 10 with a new license (maybe on a new drive) and they're good to go.  Still able to perform well enough for the average user.  If those batteries weren't replaceable, those computers would probably be in the scrap heap instead of being resold (who wants a laptop that's not portable?).

We also deal in new laptops and custom built desktop systems, but for some people, a refurbished laptop does the job for them.

Using plastic and glue on such an expensive device seems lazy. They could use some special kind of bolts, solder, etc. For what they're charging. Frankly it seems like a cheap chinese tablet, not a 1k and up product.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Using plastic and glue on such an expensive device seems lazy. They could use some special kind of bolts, solder, etc. For what they're charging. Frankly it seems like a cheap chinese tablet, not a 1k and up product.

Have you actually picked one up? The use of glue and tight solid parts makes them feel extremely solid and high quality.

Again if you are complaining about not being able to take it apart, you are not the target audience. Buy something else.

Would I buy one? No. Because I thing the surface pro is a better fit for me. Would I suggest one to a client as a ultra book? Yes.

Louis is the most down to earth person I know of.  I listened to that video as I worked and I must say he is 100% correct.

Isn't the Surface laptop essentially just a non-detachable Surface Pro?

If the above statement is correct, I don't see why people did not see this coming.

4 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

...Pointless to make a video and complain about it since it was the expectation from the start.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯...

No its not.  Its iFixit's shtick.  Making a video that reiterates, or brings potential consumers attention to, a detrimental aspect of a product is a good thing too be encouraged.  There's nothing wrong with being made even more aware.

IMO College students should steer wildly away from products like this unless their parents are paying for it and money is of little concern.  That said there are certainly people of which such devices are great for...Like people that use laptops as frizbees or something.

20 hours ago, Brennan_Price said:

This is planned obsolescence in its raw form xD Good job failing your customers Microsoft!

This is what every company seems to be doing now a days

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

20 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

IMO College students should steer wildly away from products like this unless their parents are paying for it and money is of little concern.  That said there are certainly people of which such devices are great for...Like people that use laptops as frizbees or something.

That is the target I see this product for.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

As products get smaller, thinner, lighter, the hardware gets more and more custom, which simply doesn't allow for mass-produced parts to be utilized in the same fashion they could be before. If you want something that's upgradeable, or repairable, you'll have to settle for something a little thicker, a little heavier, etc... This to me, is common sense, but some people want their cake and to eat it too.

And for the people complaining of glue vs. screws; screws (depending on their ubiquity and usage) will allow for air gaps and creaking among other issues, whereas glue can mitigate that to a large extent.

1 hour ago, NZLaurence said:

Have you actually picked one up? The use of glue and tight solid parts makes them feel extremely solid and high quality.

Again if you are complaining about not being able to take it apart, you are not the target audience. Buy something else.

Would I buy one? No. Because I thing the surface pro is a better fit for me. Would I suggest one to a client as a ultra book? Yes.

I've picked off solid plastic. It can feel extremely rigid and substantial I agree. But I am almost sure it will not feel like metal. Sorry but this is the equivalent of paying 400 bucks for a case that has acrylic side panels: they'll feel solid, they might look almost as good, etc. But well, I gave you fucking 400 bucks I expect crystal, not acrylic.

I feel that even if not necessarily making the laptop more structurally sound, if I am paying the premium I should expect aluminum.

-------

Current Rig

-------

51 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

That is the target I see this product for.

College or frizbees?  Or college frizbee?

From my POV given the low specs, I've my doubts in such a device cutting it for 4 years, where one that can be upgraded can at least push back the need to replace the device for a year or 2.  Buying more RAM in your 3rd year is a lot easier to sallow than a new laptop. 

I would certainly consider social science and biz students system needs as considerably lower(to the point where an abacus and a typewriter is almost enough) than just about every other subject.  For them, just about any device is fine. [/elitist dogma]

47 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I've picked off solid plastic. It can feel extremely rigid and substantial I agree. But I am almost sure it will not feel like metal. Sorry but this is the equivalent of paying 400 bucks for a case that has acrylic side panels: they'll feel solid, they might look almost as good, etc. But well, I gave you fucking 400 bucks I expect crystal, not acrylic.

I feel that even if not necessarily making the laptop more structurally sound, if I am paying the premium I should expect aluminum.

You do realise the whole base is aluminum and that half that glue you are talking about is to attach the thermal pads to the metal base for heat displacement.

On upgrades, when was the last time you ever upgraded a laptop. (And don't say RAM as there is no difference between buying a fully load laptop with ram sticks or solder on.) Nobody I have ever heard of buys a ultra book to upgrade it.

Again if this is a sticking point, buy something else. I will be happily recommending these to people that want windows ultrabooks. At least while they have the free windows pro upgrade.

27 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

College or frizbees?  Or college frizbee?

From my POV given the low specs, I've my doubts in such a device cutting it for 4 years, where one that can be upgraded can at least push back the need to replace the device for a year or 2.  Buying more RAM in your 3rd year is a lot easier to sallow than a new laptop. 

I would certainly consider social science and biz students system needs as considerably lower(to the point where an abacus and a typewriter is almost enough) than just about every other subject.  For them, just about any device is fine. [/elitist dogma]

You're not being elitist. Social science doesn't require computing power,  Anything that can read pdf, view websites and has an email client will do.   Even a basic android tablet with a BT keyboard will get you through.    However I will say when you starting looking at multiple documents and writing up a paper a multi monitor setup is very handy.

To the "you can't upgrade" arguments,  No one batters an eyelid when you tell them your 4 year old $1000 ipad is no longer supported, they just tell you to get over it and update to a new one because it's past it's useful life and is now obsolete.   This product is no different. It's a $1000 single cycle product.  When it gets slow and can't keep up with the advances in software you put it in the wardrobe and buy a new one. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

30 minutes ago, mr moose said:

To the "you can't upgrade" arguments,  No one batters an eyelid when you tell them your 4 year old $1000 ipad is no longer supported, they just tell you to get over it and update to a new one because it's past it's useful life and is now obsolete.   This product is no different. It's a $1000 single cycle product.  When it gets slow and can't keep up with the advances in software you put it in the wardrobe and buy a new one. 

That is certainly a view which manufactures would like us to have.  Doesn't mean I won't tell them to get bent, or to chew on the darkest part of my @$$ when they(manufacturers) suggest I adopt such practices.  Jail-breaking is a thing because obviously there are quite a few people whom neither agree with nor are willing to accept such forced obsolescence ultimatums.  Plenty of eyes start batting at things when its their wallets being told to open up, unfortunately they're usually batting and seeing red after the fact when faced with manufacturers prescribed end of life.

27 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You're not being elitist. Social science doesn't require computing power,  Anything that can read pdf, view websites and has an email client will do.   Even a basic android tablet with a BT keyboard will get you through.    However I will say when you starting looking at multiple documents and writing up a paper a multi monitor setup is very handy.

While for the most part, you are correct.  Where did you get a $1000 iPad?  The 2017 iPad starts at like... $330.  Unless you're talking about the iPad Pro, but who's really buying that for a kid?  Most parents get the Mini.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Well this is a weird day for me. 

My sister came home today with one of these things and she's absolutely raving about it.

I agree the thing is seriously well built in terms of rigidity, can't bend it even if tried because she won't let me go near it.

1 hour ago, MoonSpot said:

That is certainly a view which manufactures would like us to have.  Doesn't mean I won't tell them to get bent, or to chew on the darkest part of my @$$ when they(manufacturers) suggest I adopt such practices.  Jail-breaking is a thing because obviously there are quite a few people whom neither agree with nor are willing to accept such forced obsolescence ultimatums.  Plenty of eyes start batting at things when its their wallets being told to open up, unfortunately they're usually batting and seeing red after the fact when faced with manufacturers prescribed end of life.

That's pretty much some of the rhetoric on this forum,  Just check the IOS devices 64 bit only getting the latest updates thread for similar comments about not holding on to obsolete technology (only talking 4 years old too).

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

While for the most part, you are correct.  Where did you get a $1000 iPad?  The 2017 iPad starts at like... $330.  Unless you're talking about the iPad Pro, but who's really buying that for a kid?  Most parents get the Mini.

First iteration ipad in Australia was $996,  current basic model (not mini) with 128Gb and cell is $778.  You can certainly get cheaper, the base model with 32G and no cell is $468.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, NZLaurence said:

You do realise the whole base is aluminum and that half that glue you are talking about is to attach the thermal pads to the metal base for heat displacement.

On upgrades, when was the last time you ever upgraded a laptop. (And don't say RAM as there is no difference between buying a fully load laptop with ram sticks or solder on.) Nobody I have ever heard of buys a ultra book to upgrade it.

Again if this is a sticking point, buy something else. I will be happily recommending these to people that want windows ultrabooks. At least while they have the free windows pro upgrade.

My 2010 laptop got new RAM, SSD, and CPU... 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…