How to try out Linux on Laptop?

TheEndIsNear

in the past i think i've heard of booting linux from usb, but what im trying to do is getting use to linux for daily task and is there any ways i can do that without losing windows on my laptop?

You get a option in most Linux distro when installing too dual boot i.e if you have windows 10 and you want linux mint. When you're about to install LInux mint it offers the option to install along side with windows 10. it also offers the partion option where you allocate LInux HDD space and Memory

Hope this helped

-http://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-mint-18-alongside-windows-10-or-8-in-dual-boot-uefi-mode/

create bootable usb with rufus and boot into but choose try linux

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

19 minutes ago, TheEndIsNear said:

in the past i think i've heard of booting linux from usb, but what im trying to do is getting use to linux for daily task and is there any ways i can do that without losing windows on my laptop?

Run it in a VM 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Don't be scared go balls in YOLO

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

get a second hard drive. you can get OEM drives really cheap.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

get a second hard drive. you can get OEM drives really cheap.

He might need to disable Secure Boot in the UEFI settings first before dual booting Windows and Linux. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

He might need to disable Secure Boot in the UEFI settings first before dual booting Windows and Linux. 

just fast boot. dont need to change anything if install target is usb

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Bash is now in Windows, so if there is something specific you are trying to run you should be able to do it from Windows now (as long as it is CLI based). Your other options as stated above are either dual boot, live CD/USB, or run a VM (Virtualbox etc).

There is loads of options for linux,

.You can get a portable hard drive and boot with linux from your laptop

https://askubuntu.com/questions/446682/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-portable-external-hard-drive

Boot from Usb and use it to try but you cant store projects i dont think because you havent allocated Disk space

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Or you can Dual boot like i mentioned in the first comment

http://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-mint-18-alongside-windows-10-or-8-in-dual-boot-uefi-mode/

used a few linux distros and i would recommend Mint for your first try if you havent used it before.. great OS linux are, hope it helped

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

Run it in a VM 

can i change how much ram i need after i have set up the VM?i put 4gb but it seems a little sluggish

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

31 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

can i change how much ram i need after i have set up the VM?i put 4gb but it seems a little sluggish

did you change the cpu count? Virtualbox defaults to one core. 

12 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

Easy. Don't.

Why not?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

did you change the cpu count? Virtualbox defaults to one core. 

uh, i didnt can i chanbge this after ive set up the VM?

found it

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

dual boot it with windows if you don't mind restarting every time you need to switch operating systems, or run linux in a virtual machine which will allow you to run linux emulated inside windows.

here's a guide on how to dual boot:  https://www.howtogeek.com/214571/how-to-dual-boot-linux-on-your-pc/
here's a guide on how to  run a VM: https://www.howtogeek.com/196060/beginner-geek-how-to-create-and-use-virtual-machines/

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

uh, i didnt can i chanbge this after ive set up the VM?

click the vm then settings at the top. you can change any setting so long as it is powered down. 

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

click the vm then settings at the top. you can change any setting so long as it is powered down. 

thanks, it seems to be a little faster, although typing seems to have as little delay?

(written from inside my vm)

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

thanks, it seems to be a little faster, although typing seems to have as little delay?

(written from inside my vm)

do you have an ssd or a hd? If it's the latter remember you have about 150m/s to handle the host and the virtual machine.

if you're thinking of moving to Linux then I would boot from a usb so you get a better feel of how fast it will be. 

Just now, vorticalbox said:

do you have an ssd or a hd? If it's the latter remember you have about 150m/s to handle the host and the virtual machine.

if you're thinking of moving to Linux then I would boot from a usb so you get a better feel of how fast it will be. 

its a HDD

2 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

Why not?

Linux is garbage and broken on nearly every modern computer. Not to mention the serious lack of driver support. It's really not worth the headaches.

1 hour ago, Kilobytez95 said:

Linux is garbage and broken on nearly every modern computer. Not to mention the serious lack of driver support. It's really not worth the headaches.

I am running ubuntu 17 on an AMD 8350 and everything works. 

@TheEndIsNear

The best solution to do what you want to do is to dual-boot. However, with secure boot and windows 10, it doesn't play nice. This is a problem with windows and secure boot, NOT Linux. I want to make that very clear. I tried to do this very thing on my laptop (Acer Aspire E5-772G) but I could not get it to work even after trying several different fixes. In the end I just wiped windows and installed Ubuntu Gnome 17.04, straight up, and all is well. But I know you'd rather try it first. 

2nd best solution is to run it in a VM in windows, but the performance of VMs in windows using virtualbox generally sucks, even if you give it enough ram and CPU cores. It will, however, give you an idea of how to use Linux. Pretty much any distro running as of the host OS on almost any hardware that is fairly modern will run really nice (far better than in a VM on windows). 

On 4/25/2017 at 6:34 AM, Kilobytez95 said:

Not true at all. This is blatantly wrong on so many levels. I've been using Linux as the primary OS on a number of machines over the last 3-4 years and the improvements I have observed during that time have been significant. Fairly simple things that once required extra steps and multiple lines of commands to execute 2-3 years ago are now either automatically done, or easily completed via one-click through the GUI (like switching/updating to the latest graphics drivers). User-friendliness of Linux has come leaps and bounds in recent years/months.

What was the last distro you used and on what machine? 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

21 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

@TheEndIsNear

The best solution to do what you want to do is to dual-boot. However, with secure boot and windows 10, it doesn't play nice. This is a problem with windows and secure boot, NOT Linux. I want to make that very clear. I tried to do this very thing on my laptop (Acer Aspire E5-772G) but I could not get it to work even after trying several different fixes. In the end I just wiped windows and installed Ubuntu Gnome 17.04, straight up, and all is well. But I know you'd rather try it first. 

2nd best solution is to run it in a VM in windows, but the performance of VMs in windows using virtualbox generally sucks, even if you give it enough ram and CPU cores. It will, however, give you an idea of how to use Linux. Pretty much any distro running as of the host OS on almost any hardware that is fairly modern will run really nice (far better than in a VM on windows). 

Not true at all. This is blatantly wrong on so many levels. I've been using Linux as the primary OS on a number of machines over the last 3-4 years and the improvements I have observed during that time have been significant. Fairly simple things that once required extra steps and multiple lines of commands to execute 2-3 years ago are now either automatically done, or easily completed via one-click through the GUI (like switching/updating to the latest graphics drivers). User-friendliness of Linux has come leaps and bounds in recent years/months.

What was the last distro you used and on what machine? 

I generally would like to go dual boot, but i don't get what you meant by not playing nice?

There is another option for me though, i have two laptops, one with an i5 which is my main use laptop, essentially i do everything on it such as running program like AutoCAD, and my second laptop is a recently bought 11inch celeron which i have to bring around with me (because my first laptop is big and heavy and the battery doesnt lasts long enough, should have bought a desktop back then smh) So my second option is going for convert the celeron into a linux pc, but before choosing this option i would like to know if there are backup so in the event it doesn't work out for me or i have to send for warranty, i can restore it back to windows 10 and also having the license ( the license activated is what im more concern of)

14 minutes ago, TheEndIsNear said:

I generally would like to go dual boot, but i don't get what you meant by not playing nice?

There is another option for me though, i have two laptops, one with an i5 which is my main use laptop, essentially i do everything on it such as running program like AutoCAD, and my second laptop is a recently bought 11inch celeron which i have to bring around with me (because my first laptop is big and heavy and the battery doesnt lasts long enough, should have bought a desktop back then smh) So my second option is going for convert the celeron into a linux pc, but before choosing this option i would like to know if there are backup so in the event it doesn't work out for me or i have to send for warranty, i can restore it back to windows 10 and also having the license ( the license activated is what im more concern of)

By not playing nice, I simply mean the way Windows and secure boot are setup within the UEFI/BIOS, it's done in a way that does not allow other OS's to run along side Windows. I don't fully understand it, but this is what I have read on the Linux forums where quite a lot of other people have been trying to deal with this exact same problem for a while now. For some people, there is no fix and it simply doesn't work (like me). So I said; bye bye Windows, you suck! lol. 

Anyways, yeah, you have a good option there, to run Linux on your Celeron laptop. What I would do if I were you, if you want to retain that original windows install, is buy a cheap 120GB SSD, install that and keep the windows HDD in a safe place. Install Linux on the SSD and watch it fly. ;) 

It also depends on how much data you typically need to store on the machine though. Most people actually don't store that much on their laptops, so a 120 or 256GB SSD is plenty. Otherwise, I'm not sure how you'd "save" that windows install, besides creating a system image, but that doesn't save all your data. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

2 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

By not playing nice, I simply mean the way Windows and secure boot are setup within the UEFI/BIOS, it's done in a way that does not allow other OS's to run along side Windows. I don't fully understand it, but this is what I have read on the Linux forums where quite a lot of other people have been trying to deal with this exact same problem for a while now. For some people, there is no fix and it simply doesn't work (like me). So I said; bye bye Windows, you suck! lol. 

Anyways, yeah, you have a good option there, to run Linux on your Celeron laptop. What I would do if I were you, if you want to retain that original windows install, is buy a cheap 120GB SSD, install that and keep the windows HDD in a safe place. Install Linux on the SSD and watch it fly. ;) 

It also depends on how much data you typically need to store on the machine though. Most people actually don't store that much on their laptops, so a 120 or 256GB SSD is plenty. Otherwise, I'm not sure how you'd "save" that windows install, besides creating a system image, but that doesn't save all your data. 

I assume linux doesn't use as much space as windows for its os? it looks like a nice idea buying an ssd for it, since what i do on a celeron laptop if fairly limited by its CPU power, so probably wont be having much programs on it anyway. Thanks for help! :P