alcohols to use for cleaning computer parts

Tiwaz

So most people use high percentage Ethanol alcohol to clean your pc parts, mainly like old thermal paste and clean the processors surface. The question here is, do i realy need to use this specific least toxic alcohol? Assuming I would be using proper protection, could i use Methanol (heard its a bit more effective for cleaning) or Propanol, or 2-Propanol or Propandiol? I saw that people use these stronger more or less toxic ones to clean of nail paint for example.

what do you guys think?

Why not use 99% isopropyl alcohol?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Why not use 99% isopropyl alcohol?

Yeah the question is if its okay to use these? I usually use 90% Ethanol (drinkable alcohol), everything else is obviously poisonous and should be handled with at least hand protection.

If you can get your hands on methanol, it would be sufficient.  I personally use 99% isopropyl alcohol, as it can be easily purchased at any drug store.  I would assume that a non-polar solvent  such as acetone could be used as well...

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Just now, IrshaadH said:

If you can get your hands on methanol, it would be sufficient.  I personally use 99% isopropyl alcohol, as it can be easily purchased at any drug store.  I would assume that a non-polar solvent  such as acetone could be used as well...

but you use gloves, right?

1 minute ago, Tiwaz said:

Yeah the question is if its okay to use these? I usually use 90% Ethanol (drinkable alcohol), everything else is obviously poisonous and should be handled with at least hand protection.

Isopropanol is only poisonous if ingested.  The worst it could do to your skin is dry it out.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Just now, Tiwaz said:

but you use gloves, right?

No need, see my post above.  I used to work with chemicals harsher than these, so I know my way around alcohols lol

1 minute ago, IrshaadH said:

Isopropanol is only poisonous if ingested.  The worst it could do to your skin is dry it out.

your body can take it from the skin in small doses too

Just now, IrshaadH said:

No need, see my post above.  I used to work with chemicals harsher than these, so I know my way around alcohols lol

you should probably be very careful with methanol cuz u can get blind

your body can take it from the skin in small doses too

you should probably be very careful with methanol cuz u can get blind

I commend your attention to safety, however, I wouldn't worry too much if I were.  You shouldn't be using a whole lot of alcohol to clean computer parts anyway.  I personally dab a Q-Tip with Isopropanol and wipe my CPU and cooler whenever I need to clean off thermal paste.  You could also use a paper towel soaked in alcohol.  Don't use anything that would leave lint behind such as Kleenex or toilet paper.

11 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

So most people use high percentage Ethanol alcohol to clean your pc parts, mainly like old thermal paste and clean the processors surface. The question here is, do i realy need to use this specific least toxic alcohol? Assuming I would be using proper protection, could i use Methanol (heard its a bit more effective for cleaning) or Propanol, or 2-Propanol or Propandiol? I saw that people use these stronger more or less toxic ones to clean of nail paint for example.

what do you guys think?

I'm a little confused.

Most people I've ever met use Isopropyl Alcohol - usually 99% or 70%. These are 100% safe to use on computer components, and are safe to use as long as you don't get it in your eyes, or swallow it. You can use hand protection, but that's not really necessary as long as you don't let it sit on your skin for more than a few seconds. It is a skin irritant though so, there's that.

I actually have never met anyone who has used ethanol alcohol to clean PC parts.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm a little confused.

Most people I've ever met use Isopropyl Alcohol - usually 99% or 70%. These are 100% safe to use on computer components, and are safe to use as long as you don't get it in your eyes, or swallow it. You can use hand protection, but that's not really necessary as long as you don't let it sit on your skin for more than a few seconds. It is a skin irritant though so, there's that.

I actually have never met anyone who has used ethanol alcohol to clean PC parts.

Neither have I. The best is the "90%, drinkable alcohol". Wow, that is expensive cleaner, and if drinking it, you may want to mix it as that could seriously damage the eyes as well.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

1 minute ago, crzyces said:

Neither have I. The best is the "90%, drinkable alcohol". Wow, that is expensive cleaner, and if drinking it, you may want to mix it as that could seriously damage the eyes as well.

lmao yeah "drinkable" in that context means "It won't instantly kill you dead... but it might make you blind and give you liver damage so you die slowly instead".

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Isopropyl alcohol is safe to use, just don't drink it. Otherwise, it can just dry out your skin if you are in contact with it for long periods. you can just wash your hands and maybe use a skin moisturizer if you feel your skin is dry.

Some use Acetone or Laquer thinner ... both are stronger and should be used with more ventilation compared to when using IPA.  Laquer thinner is a mix of solvents, depends on the formula ... you can check the MSDS datasheet to see exactly what, usually it's <50% acetone , < 35% naphta/toluene/methanol , <15%  ethil acetate , and the rest is denatured alcohol

Acetone is stronger (compared to IPA) but can also remove the printing off components (text on electrolytic capacitors, on the pvc/plastic sleeves) , isopropyl alcohol is not that strong. Acetone can leave streaks on the pcb. 

Laquer thinner being dissolved in denatured alcohol and being a mixed of several solvents, usually doesn't leave streaks on circuit boards. But it may be just as bad for printed stuff, may affect the color of plastics or remove the stuff printed on components if it gets in contact.

Above methanol (various solvents) and isopropyl alcohol  on the "strong-ness" and "degree of ventilation, handling etc"  you have turperntine , then you have xylene (where you should begin to start wearing gloves and maybe use some fan near you) , then you have acetone and laquer thinners and above it you have paint stripper solutions

solutions like 70% toluene + 30% acetone + a pinch of xylene is popular as well.

In the past a very good solvent was 1,1,1 TCE or 1,1,1 trichloroethane or methyl chloroform but it's hard to find and it's really not good for your health.

Stick with ipa, acetone or laquer thinners, should be more than enough.

ps. i typically get a big chunk of cotton wool, place if over the top of the bottle with IPA and turn the bottle upside down a couple of times to get the cotton wool ball wet with IPA.

then i can twist some cotton wool around the tip of a tiny screwdriver and press the tip over the wet cotton wool ball and the clean specific areas with the screwdriver tip. Or I just press a toothbrush head against the cotton wool ball for larger areas, or some paper towel/chemwipe.

I have a small bottle of 70% ethanol, but I barely ever use it.  Most of the time I just use toilet paper to get all the paste and traces off, then I take one of those moist paper napkins used to clean glasses.

1 hour ago, Tiwaz said:

what do you guys think?

I use a bottle of Jack Daniel's. Cleans like crap but at least I can get drunk enough to not care. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

6 hours ago, Tiwaz said:

Why do you want to pay for water?

I generally use 46IPNM alcohol, which is 46% alcohol.

I also use contact cleaner to clean the thermal paste excess on my GPU, shoot me.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

So long as it's pure enough to not leave any residue, it's fine. Anything that would actually pose a danger is propbably hard enough to get so that it's not worth it. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

regular body rub alcohol should do, nothing special is needed. Alcohol is used widely because it can dry up faster than water because of its low specific heat capacity. In addition it doesn't have a huge negative affect on the parts.  

I laughed at the East Indian flinging Isopropyl Alcohol behind his counter.

On 8.4.2017 at 10:40 PM, dalekphalm said:

lmao yeah "drinkable" in that context means "It won't instantly kill you dead... but it might make you blind and give you liver damage so you die slowly instead".

nono, Ethanol (C2H6O) is the only alcohol which is allowed in beverages such as wine or beer. Everything else can cause additional bad short and long term effects besides dizzines, such as blindness (MEthanol: CH4O) or just more damage to the body (all types of Propanol [C3H8O, etc.] and higher alcohols.