Ryzen supports ECC memory.

asder12

Ugh can we finally have final confirmation.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Naples will support ECC, Zen does not and this info is incorrect not that ECC is required for consumer hardware /thread

I think you meant Ryzen and not Zen. Zen is the microarchitecture. Naples is the server SKUs. Ryzen is the desktop SKUs.

Zen will support ECC, it is whether or not the motherboard manufacturers will support it or if AMD disables it (like Intel).

Many people run things such as home build NAS and other variants of servers with consumer hardware. Far from the majority tho.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

13 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

I think you meant Ryzen and not Zen. Zen is the microarchitecture. Naples is the server SKUs. Ryzen is the desktop SKUs.

Zen will support ECC, it is whether or not the motherboard manufacturers will support it or if AMD disables it (like Intel).

Many people run things such as home build NAS and other variants of servers with consumer hardware. Far from the majority tho.

Yeah I often mistakenly type Zen for Ryzen since the name I got used to was Zen and Ryzen sounds stupid

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Hope so... would love to have the option to build a cheap Ryzen-based home server/NAS.  

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

Should the title of the not be changed? Big amd fan but dont want false info shouldnt be spread. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

8 hours ago, zMeul said:

my take on this is that AMD told them Ryzen will support ECC, but something went wrong and ECC support was scrapped

To be honest, I doubt anything went wrong except of MOBO manufactures putting up wrong specifications. I just don't think they have worked out ECC support completely (you don't want to release a bugged ECC), and I expect those to be available when the server SKU hit the market. The group of people who base their purchase whether or not it support ECC might not be big enough to be a priority for such "early" launch.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

THIS IS MOST LIKELY FAKE AND WRONG!

NEVER TRUST ANYTHING SAID ON /r/AMD, IT IS FULL OF FANBOYS WHO WILL GLADLY LIE YOU STRAIGHT IN THE FACE TO MAKE AMD LOOK BETTER.

Want to know why the Reddit page links to a Google cached version of the page? Because the page was updated to specifically say it only supports non-EEC memory.

Here is the up-to-date page, and here is a picture of it.

Capture.PNG

As for the ASRock page, my guess is that it's like with other motherboards. Your computer will work if you put in ECC modules, but they will operate in non-ECC mode.

Or to quote Gigabyte:

Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)

It's just that ASRock is not as honest and doesn't tell the whole truth.

4 hours ago, rjfaber91 said:

Nor will there be. There also, in breaking news, won't be Ryzen Athlons, or Athlon Opterons... 9_9

There will be Zen Opterons (as well as most probably Zen Athlons and Zen Semprons), of course, but we basically don't know anything about them yet.

There basically has to be, Ryzen probably isn't going to cover the 4+ years of R&D from custom pcs alone - Mobile, Server and Pre-builds will need to adopt it as well for it to actually put a dent in Intels market share

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

THIS IS MOST LIKELY FAKE AND WRONG!

NEVER TRUST ANYTHING SAID ON /r/AMD, IT IS FULL OF FANBOYS WHO WILL GLADLY LIE YOU STRAIGHT IN THE FACE TO MAKE AMD LOOK BETTER.

Want to know why the Reddit page links to a Google cached version of the page? Because the page was updated to specifically say it only supports non-EEC memory.

Here is the up-to-date page, and here is a picture of it.

Capture.PNG

As for the ASRock page, my guess is that it's like with other motherboards. Your computer will work if you put in ECC modules, but they will operate in non-ECC mode.

Or to quote Gigabyte:

It's just that ASRock is not as honest and doesn't tell the whole truth.

I know this has been pointed out directly to you in a previous thread so ill say it again for others. 

For a time asus' listing for thw x370 was removed. For this time petiod the cached version of the page was being shown around. 

Then asus quetly relisted the x370, but removed the ecc support from the specs page. 

So now when you search google the cache page shows up as evidence asus supported ecc. 

Its an unfortunate coincidence, and because asus kept queit about it no one is aware the listing has changed. So, as expected, no one thinks theres a difference on the cache page that comes up on google results. 

You are just as visceral against amd by taking a mistake on r/amd and claiming they are purposefully lying. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

41 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

For a time asus' listing for thw x370 was removed. For this time petiod the cached version of the page was being shown around. 

No excuse for not updating the OP, and people are still posting the cached version even though the non-cached version has been up for days now.

So now when you search google the cache page shows up as evidence asus supported ecc. 

It does not show up for me. In fact, I am 99% sure Google never list their cached sites in their search results. You have to go into a submenu to reach the cached page.

Picture of search results:

Spoiler

Capture.PNG

You are just as visceral against amd by taking a mistake on r/amd and claiming they are purposefully lying. 

I am not visceral against AMD. I am against lies and fanboys, and as it happens a lot of AMD fanboys have come out of their holes, are lying and acting like idiots right now.

In fact, I have a 1700X system in my shopping basket right now. I am just waiting for third party benchmarks to come out and if they look promising I'll order it. I won't pre-order though because I am not a moron, and I am not going to pretend like Ryzen will be perfect and brush any issues or shortcomings under the rug.

9 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Yeah I often mistakenly type Zen for Ryzen since the name I got used to was Zen and Ryzen sounds stupid

When I see Ryzen, I don't think Risen, rather, a character from the anime, Yu-Yu-Hakusho that has the name Raizen (and is coincidentally one of the most powerful characters in the series). 

While I don't doubt that this architecture is good, I do have to wonder whether the company itself is competent enough to leverage this success to thrive in the long term. AMD seems very boastful, to the point of bordering professionalism when they should be working to inspire confidence in their future 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

AMD seems very boastful, to the point of bordering professionalism when they should be working to inspire confidence in their future 

Oh yeah they are very incompetent when it comes to corporate sense and they have a reputation for misleading consumers which is why I can never see them from a good light, which is a problem for a company trying to bring themselves up from the ashes. Granted I'm not a fool and would buy their products if they are actually better at the time I need them but I'm very hesitant about what they release as I hold a grudge against companies who's products fail me.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, Erik Sieghart said:

Makes the 1800X appealing for servers.

It would be, if it were true. This is not a confirmation. We still need to wait for people to actually test it. So far, ASUS removed it from their page, and both Gigabyte and MSI list ECC support in non-ECC mode only (basically, the sticks themselves will work, but not serve their intended purpose). This is plenty of evidence to be very skeptical against this reddit thread. I myself made the mistake of lazily googling "Ryzen ECC" and stumbled upon the very same thread in the OP, and used it in an argument. That's a mistake I advise that others avoid making.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

5 minutes ago, MageTank said:

It would be, if it were true. This is not a confirmation. We still need to wait for people to actually test it. So far, ASUS removed it from their page, and both Gigabyte and MSI list ECC support in non-ECC mode only (basically, the sticks themselves will work, but not serve their intended purpose). This is plenty of evidence to be very skeptical against this reddit thread. I myself made the mistake of lazily googling "Ryzen ECC" and stumbled upon the very same thread in the OP, and used it in an argument. That's a mistake I advise that others avoid making.

It is quite simple, Ryzen will not have ECC support. AMD designed these chips to be as low cost as possible while maintaining good performance and features applicable to gamers and desktop usage, ECC is not this so it won't be in the Ryzen memory controller.

AMD Snowy Owl and Naples will have ECC.

Just now, leadeater said:

It is quite simple, Ryzen will not have ECC support. AMD designed these chips to be as low cost as possible while maintaining good performance and features applicable to gamers and desktop usage, ECC is not this so it won't be in the Ryzen memory controller.

AMD Snowy Owl and Naples will have ECC.

That was my theory as well. Zen (as a whole) appears to have a very expandable memory controller with up to 8 channels. What we have in Ryzen, appears to be a crippled version tailored for gamers (assuming they actually get the 2DPC issue fixed). It makes me wonder if we will eventually see a prosumer platform with more of these features unlocked, but at the same time, I kinda don't want to see it. The less obfuscation, the better. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

10 minutes ago, MageTank said:

That was my theory as well. Zen (as a whole) appears to have a very expandable memory controller with up to 8 channels. What we have in Ryzen, appears to be a crippled version tailored for gamers (assuming they actually get the 2DPC issue fixed). It makes me wonder if we will eventually see a prosumer platform with more of these features unlocked, but at the same time, I kinda don't want to see it. The less obfuscation, the better. 

The memory controller of the AMD server platforms are actually going to be totally different to Ryzen. It will be using Gen-Z technology so Ryzen is using it's own custom built memory controller not originally designed for the Zen architecture, probably has something to do with the high frequency RAM issues but not like that is surprising with a totally new memory controller. I mean everyone has forgotten the maximum speeds Intel could support Gen 1 DDR3 and Gen 1 DDR4, is a bit of complaining for complaining sake.

Gen-z:

http://genzconsortium.org/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10751/gen-z-consortium-formed-developing-a-new-memory-interconnect

Edit:

If you think this sounds a lot like Vega and the High Bandwidth Cache controller you'd be right.

Now that I am seeing the line up that might be the case for the 1x00 Pro models...just a thought.

On 25/02/2017 at 9:51 AM, huilun02 said:

According to Intel fans, no one buys Ryzen systems to run servers.

I mean, anyone professionally running servers shouldn't, as the Ryzen releases are consumer hardware. Just like you shouldn't run a server off of an i7. Now when AMD releases the server CPU's, then people will run servers on it.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

6 hours ago, Centurius said:

I mean, anyone professionally running servers shouldn't, as the Ryzen releases are consumer hardware. Just like you shouldn't run a server off of an i7. Now when AMD releases the server CPU's, then people will run servers on it.

Wish we could get enthusiasts to stop referring to their NAS++ systems at home as servers.  I get that its always been one of those "same-same, but different" things; but I'm starting to get triggered by the need to attach the word "professionally" to it.

By the same vein,  I'm fairly annoyed that people are bitching about ecc for home use.   Need to start flushing out the stupid.

26 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Wish we could get enthusiasts to stop referring to their NAS++ systems at home as servers.  I get that its always been one of those "same-same, but different" things; but I'm starting to get triggered by the need to attach the word "professionally" to it.

By the same vein,  I'm fairly annoyed that people are bitching about ecc for home use.   Need to start flushing out the stupid.

Why does that trigger you? A NAS is by definition a server. Or more specifically, a file server.

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Why does that trigger you? A NAS is by definition a server. Or more specifically, a file server.

Firstly:

I get that its always been one of those "same-same, but different" things; but I'm starting to get triggered by the need to attach the word "professionally" to it

Secondly:

For the same reason I hate bugs.  It's in the blood.

SpmKoAE.jpg

8 hours ago, Centurius said:

Just like you shouldn't run a server off of an i7.

My server has an i3 and ECC in it.  Lenovo seemed to think that was fine.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

This was in the AMD AMA reddit conversation. 

Yes the CPU supports ECC UDIMM, but it isn't officially supported yet. Basically try at your own risk right now. 

Just like other AMD CPUs even if the motherboard doesn't support enabling ECC , you can force enable it in the OS, this is because the memory controller is in the CPU. The MB has no control over it. 

I am getting UDMIM ECC from Samsung. Trying to match up the same chips as the qualified ones , but just the ECC version.

On 2/25/2017 at 8:42 AM, AresKrieger said:

Naples will support ECC, Ryzen does not and this info is incorrect not that ECC is required for consumer hardware /thread

Incorrect all previous versions of AMD AM(1,2,3,4) sockets support ECC. Just isn't officially supported at the moment, ie you cannot ask for help. It was in the AMA with AMD. Basically they said the 1700-1800X have ECC but it hasn't been thoroughly tested.