Introducing: The Privacy Paradox (note to self)

Your personal privacy persona  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Should we care if they can collect and measure all our behaviour?

• the shrugger
    • the realist
    • the believer
    • not telling (privacy 4th amendment)

A five-day plan to help solve the digital dilemma (which is now past, however, the information is still relevant).

"That creepy feeling you get online when adds are just a little too on the nose or when voice control keeps popping up and won't turn off on you new iPhone...If we care so much about protecting our information and we feel uneasy about it, why do we keep giving it away?" at 05:45

This is called the privacy paradox to researchers at Harvard University who would understand why I like using Facebook messenger but every time I install it to have a conversation I uninstall it as soon as I finish. Then reinstall the application on my phone again the very next time I need to use it. But again, because I am so uneasy with how much personal information data it gives to Facebook for free, the messenger application gets uninstalled again right away!
Is it my immediate gratification bias or knowing that my personal data is spread out so that those who do have access to it can cherry pick out the bits they want and sell off the what they do not need. Is it that we should really read every End User License Agreement (EULA) but we do not and that is "...just a fact of digital life...[or]how it starts with you" at 11:23?

Take the Quiz to find out your "Personal Privacy Persona" and whether you are the shrugger the realist or the believer then maybe list your persona (answer) in the poll?

Links:

Produced by WNYC (and Manoush Zomorodi).

The "Personal Privacy Persona" quiz

The five-day plan podcasts

Day 1: What your phone knows - 11 minutes

Day 2: The search for your identity - 15 minutes

Day 3: Something to hide - 11 minutes

Day 4: Fifteen minutes of anonymity - 11 minutes

Day 5: Your personal terms of service - 12 minutes

"Should we care if they can collect and measure all our behaviour?"

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

I fill my Facebook with pictures of cat. If you want to stalk me online expect a lot of pussy. I don't use Facebook's app coz it sucks batteries and sucks my time in the real world. You get sucked into messenger coz you have some girlfriend issue. My girlfriend issue can stand inline with all the other shit that I have to deal with. I am contemplating making a bot to post cat pictures with these new measures on USA border, the one rumoured to ask for social media passwords.

Should i care if they collect and measure my behaviour? They can try and they can plot me in with all the girls or bots with cat pictures that I share with them.

TLDR spam them with pictures of cats. Every nsa or advertising agency worker likes their job where they are paid to look at kitty pictures all day.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I would say we "keep giving it away" because most people are too uneducated in regards of history as to why it is a very, VERY bad thing.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

I would say we "keep giving it away" because most people are too uneducated in regards of history as to why it is a very, VERY bad thing.

I don't know about where you are from but in AUS/NZ idiot dickheads do not hold back on the shit they say. Hence the Australian racism videos on youtube

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Whats a facebook?

It's a database of cat videos and a place to distribute false news Which is nothing new. People have been distributing antisocial propoganda electronically since bbs

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

7 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I don't know about where you are from but in AUS/NZ idiot dickheads do not hold back on the shit they say. Hence the Australian racism videos on youtube

USA.

Not sure about AUS/NZ, but racism is actually protected speech. Although private companies have the right to kick people off their platforms for it (right to refuse service, etc.)

Best way to stop racism is to let them speak, and put their foot in their own mouth. Silencing them just gives credence to their idiocy, at least in their minds.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

19 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I'm a cat. Sounds like a place for me.

Also I'm an 8,146 year old Christian Paleontologist. I'm sure NSA and customs will find that useful.

Maybe I should include that in my Facebook profile...

That number is too high. They apparently employ people who can count as high as their toes. Rule of thumb: have a good shave before crossing the border just like in ancient Roman times

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I think we should care, but right now it often cannot be avoided.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If you don't think about privacy and security you will never become a real digital citizen because you will just be someone that is using the tools but not in a conscious way

- Italo Vignoli

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

My facebook has had no new content for 7 years. It exist to keep in touch with peeps if i need to on desktop messenger. And i ran some browser scripts to delete all my past post and pics. 

Anywhere i exist online,  besides linked in,  i dont have identifiable information.  

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

I mean, even if one doesn't care about privacy everyone should not be 'whatever' either way, just out of principle since it's not right. Period.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I believe that personal privacy, freedom, liberties, rights, etc. are of the utmost importance.  If you want to sacrifice your privacy, freedom, etc. for a bit of security, be my guest, but I like this quote by John Pretty Barlow, "Relying on the government to protect your privacy is like asking a peeping Tom to install your window blinds.". I also like to live by this quote, "Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one," -- Benjamin Franklin.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

On 19/02/2017 at 2:58 AM, goodtofufriday said:

My facebook has had no new content for 7 years. It exist to keep in touch with peeps if i need to on desktop messenger. And i ran some browser scripts to delete all my past post and pics. 

Anywhere i exist online,  besides linked in,  i dont have identifiable information.  

@N3v3r3nding_N3wb sounds like you are just deleting your browser history and employing the use of Private Window tabs. Which are fine as they delete the data from the machine you use, but this more about where each individuals internet traffic goes to (every click, every site, all collated with date and time stamps). Where your IP address lands on the internet, through all your internet providers including which servers and cell-towers your devices communicate with every day, everywhere you go.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

10 hours ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

@N3v3r3nding_N3wb sounds like you are just deleting your browser history and employing the use of Private Window tabs. Which are fine as they delete the data from the machine you use, but this more about where each individuals internet traffic goes to (every click, every site, all collated with date and time stamps). Where your IP address lands on the internet, through all your internet providers including which servers and cell-towers your devices communicate with every day, everywhere you go.

I was mostly talking in broad terms about the morons who trust the government enough to sacrifice all of their rights, freedoms, etc. for a sense of security.  

A small minority of the population can't really protest the government extraordinarily effectively and with as much effect as a larger group (obviously -- the more people, the bigger the effect).  We need lots of conscious citizens to really affect a change.  

I'm also not talking about just the U.S., where I'm at, but in most governments.  People keep voting for bigger and bigger governments, and eventually, the government won't be able to get much bigger without overtly infringing on its citizens' rights.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Interesting topic, although I don't think it qualifies as "News"?

Either way, added my result to the poll. They make good predictions, although I wonder whether they are different for different results :P 

I got The Believer. I'm very privacy-conscientious, borderline paranoid.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I don't even trust that website enough to take the survey.

I'm the one with Russian e-mail and Chinese web browser using a Russian search engine, because it's not about whether or not data is collected (which it is, always) but whom you don't fear having it.

There are a lot of paradoxes in privacy. Such as Steam banging on about 47% or whatever-the-bumfuck Windows 10 adoption rate based on their hardware survey, when everyone on Windows 7 are the ones clever enough not to take the fucking survey in the first place.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

37 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

I don't even trust that website enough to take the survey.

I'm the one with Russian e-mail and Chinese web browser using a Russian search engine, because it's not about whether or not data is collected (which it is, always) but whom you don't fear having it.

There are a lot of paradoxes in privacy. Such as Steam banging on about 47% or whatever-the-bumfuck Windows 10 adoption rate based on their hardware survey, when everyone on Windows 7 are the ones clever enough not to take the fucking survey in the first place.

why not just setup your own email server? i'm sure you're smart enough to even apply better security on it than some people ;)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

<--- Realist

I don't use Facebook but I do use LinkedIn for work. My online presence is strongest on LTT Forums and that about it.

I don't agree with this;

Capture.JPG

I don't do anything this mentions ... I have no online presence other what I mentioned above. :| 

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Take the Quiz to find out your "Personal Privacy Persona"

I have to give them some information about myself to find out how comfortable I am with giving away information about myself?

On 18/02/2017 at 10:35 AM, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

js issue.jpg

Well, guess I won't be listening to any of those then.  I care enough about my privacy to not trust sites that require javascript just to run. 

On 23/02/2017 at 1:00 AM, Captain Chaos said:

js issue.jpg

Well, guess I won't be listening to any of those then.  I care enough about my privacy to not trust sites that require javascript just to run. 

@Captain Chaos they are downloadable *.mp3 files the Javascript is probably the in-browser flash audio player which Firefox does not support (- click here - GitHub explanation).

The page also has a live broadcast listening element, again likely a Javascript applet.

Alternatively, you can use iTunes, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Tunein, or Google play to get to the available content.

WNYC_DAY 1.jpg