Apple v. Samsung case goes back to where it all began

Guest Kloaked
Go to solution Solved by Blade of Grass,
On 2017-02-08 at 1:31 PM, Qwweb said:

Design patents are extremely sketchy in most cases, as for Apple in this case. Apple needs to prove beyond a reasonable doubt

No they don't. This is a civil trial, all Apple needs to prove is that Samsung most likely copied Apple's design. The burden of proof for civil law is the preponderence of evidence, not beyond a reasonable doubt. 

SAUCY SAUCY

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-7-vs-Apple-iPhone-6s

It's no secret that Apple and Samsung have been at each other's throats with seemingly frivolous patent lawsuits. Now, one that has aged five years that still isn't 100% settled is being sent back to "the Northern District Court of California".

After five years going through the legal system — and reaching the highest powers of the US late last year — a federal appeals court has handed the trial back to the lower San Jose court for it to decide whether additional proceedings are necessary.

The case concerns Samsung’s patent infringement on Apple’s iPhone designs and how much it should pay in damages for the offence. Apple claims Samsung copied physical aspects of its phones – like rounded corners, and software features – such as representing apps as a grid of icons. The trial has been ongoing since 2012, during which time Samsung has agreed to pay more than half a billion dollars to Apple.

No device ever had rounded corners and a grid of icons....

220px-Palmcentroredwikipedia.jpg

0e9.jpg

Apple, Samsung...

CoWZ05t.gif

14 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

No device ever had rounded corners and a grid of icons....

220px-Palmcentroredwikipedia.jpg

0e9.jpg

xDxDxDxDxDxDxD 

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

32 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

CoWZ05t.gif

MFW  kloaked posts a news item with a gif at the end

3 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

MFW  kloaked posts a news item with a gif at the end

This is the controversial design in question:

samsung-galaxy-s-1.jpg

It kinda does resemble the iOS 3 style, tho it had more features and aged like milk.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

41 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Apple claims Samsung copied physical aspects of its phones – like rounded corners, and software features – such as representing apps as a grid of icons.

Uh, that does not fall in the category of...

"New, useful and non-obvious invention" - US Patent Office requirements for a patent

I am frankly surprised that Samsung's lawyers did not file a motion for a FRCP Rule 11 (b) dismissal...

"(b) Representations to the Court. By presenting to the court a pleading, written motion, or other paper—whether by signing, filing, submitting, or later advocating it—an attorney or unrepresented party certifies that to the best of the person's knowledge, information, and belief, formed after an inquiry reasonable under the circumstances:

(1) it is not being presented for any improper purpose, such as to harass, cause unnecessary delay, or needlessly increase the cost of litigation;

(2) the claims, defenses, and other legal contentions are warranted by existing law or by a nonfrivolous argument for extending, modifying, or reversing existing law or for establishing new law;

(3) the factual contentions have evidentiary support or, if specifically so identified, will likely have evidentiary support after a reasonable opportunity for further investigation or discovery; and

(4) the denials of factual contentions are warranted on the evidence or, if specifically so identified, are reasonably based on belief or a lack of information."

-Federal Rules of Civil Procedure via Cornell Law

bullshit, they didn't completely copy the physical aspects and replace the logo. yea there are similarity's but its a fucking phone, of course there are going to be a lot of similarity's. i don't understand how apple could get a patent on some stuff like grid patterns and rounded corners anyways.

6 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

It kinda does resemble the iOS 3 style, tho it had more features and aged like milk.

Looks just like modern TouchWiz tbh

4 minutes ago, tlink said:

bullshit, they didn't completely copy the physical aspects and replace the logo. yea there are similarity's but its a fucking phone, of course there are going to be a lot of similarity's. i don't understand how apple could get a patent on some stuff like grid patterns and rounded corners anyways.

There's your tax at work :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, Qwweb said:

Uh, that does not fall in the category of...

I am frankly surprised that Samsung's lawyers did not file a motion for a FRCP Rule 11 (b) dismissal...

It's a design patent, which has different requirements from a utility patent.

Can you just imagine having dinner with the people involved in this case? 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

11 minutes ago, tlink said:

It's a design patent rather than a utility patent, worth bearing in mind. Also, the front and bezel were all the patent covered, and the phones really are virtually identical there. The back is different, but that didn't get Samsung off the hook because Apple hadn't made the back part of the patent. So Samsung was infringing on all the elements of the patent.

I think it's bullshit that you can patent just a part of the design that way, but by the letter of the law I think the verdict was correct.

10 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Looks just like modern TouchWiz tbh

Does that look similar to this?

Screenshot_20170208-191718.png

I don't quite think so...

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Maybe Samsung should start to manufacture phones with laser cut razor blades for edges, and an interface where every page is one application, and you need to swipe through them all to get to what you want.

For the record, My Jornada 680 has an interface with icons laid out in a grid, and I believe the same OS was used on phones that may or may not have had rounded edges :o

3 minutes ago, Kierax said:

Can you just imagine having dinner with the people involved in this case? 

I'd be eating good

Just now, Djole123 said:

18 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

samsung-galaxy-s-1.jpg

Yeah pretty much. They both look like an Android version of iOS.

3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I really dunno...

Actually Apple has lately been stealing features from either Android or jailbreak tweaks, so idk...

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

It almost like squares in a grid pattern are the best way to fit as much information in a screen as possible....

I am sure android would been the giant it is now with a circular phones and triangle icons in a random pattern.../s

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

It's a design patent rather than a utility patent

Design patents are extremely sketchy in most cases, as for Apple in this case. Apple needs to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Samsung willfully copied Apple's exact design, bear in mind I mean exact in a literal sense. The lawsuit for the menu icons is also interesting as to prove that Samsung (once again) willfully copied Apple's software you would need to go through the full code and determine if the code was copied. Otherwise this would be akin to Apple patenting the idea of a square tessellation which is neither an invention nor innovation and thus not subject to protection under a US Patent.

1 minute ago, Djole123 said:

Actually Apple has lately been stealing features from either Android or jailbreak tweaks, so idk...

Also don't forget the time when Apple literally stole the architecture for their microprocessors (used in all 5th and 6th generation Apple products) from the University of Wisconsin...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/10/16/wisconsin-court-orders-apple-to-pay-234m-for-warf-patent-infringement

9 minutes ago, Qwweb said:

Also don't forget the time when Apple literally stole the architecture for their microprocessors (used in all 5th and 6th generation Apple products) from the University of Wisconsin...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/10/16/wisconsin-court-orders-apple-to-pay-234m-for-warf-patent-infringement

Ah yes, saw that once and was pretty suprised that a 500 billion dollar company was stealing processor designs...

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

It almost like squares in a grid pattern are the best way to fit as much information in a screen as possible....

I am sure android would been the giant it is now with a circular phones and triangle icons in a random pattern.../s

Hold your horses there, buddy. Android is vastly different from iOS. So original. Google/Android didn't get the idea for their UI from anyone else.

24 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

why is the search bar so low? 

talk about ugly

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

41 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Hold your horses there, buddy. Android is vastly different from iOS. So original. Google/Android didn't get the idea for their UI from anyone else.

Neither did iOS. Its not like we have been consuming media either deskop OS, newspaper, magazine, menus,etc.. that have a rectangle shape and most content is in grid pattern for decades..../s

Yeah keep going with apple is so original and deserves the patent. 

10 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Neither did iOS. Its not like we have been consuming media either deskop OS, newspaper, magazine, menus,etc.. that have a rectangle shape and most content is in grid pattern for decades..../s

Yeah keep going with apple is so original and deserves the patent. 

Apple is 100% original. They invented the desktop UI.