GIGABYTE Aorus GTX 1080Ti Revealed by HardwareCanucks?

HKZeroFive

This is a rather interesting tid bit of news. In their new "Simple Motherboards, Extreme Overclocking" video, Dmitry from HardwareCanucks showed a little clip of Gigabyte's new Aorus GPU. Now, the aside from the fact that it's a new aftermarket model, the most interesting part is when he says there's a brand new GPU inside which hasn't been released by NVIDIA yet. So you may think, "I wonder what NVIDIA plans on releasing?". I think the obvious (and most likely) choice is the GTX 1080Ti.

Here's what Dmitry says:

There is one more thing on display. This is Gigabyte's new Aorus GPU, which is based upon Gigabyte Xtreme design but incorporates a few minor cosmetic changes. Now I say new because the actual graphics core here is so new that we can't even tell you what it is. Let's just say it will be launching from Nvidia very soon. And the positioning of Aorus as a premium highend brand matches perfectly with this core's target market. It will certainly be interesting spring time at HardwareCanucks offices.

Personal thoughts - I didn't exactly mar the possibility of the GTX 1080Ti not being released because I thought the complications with the VRAM and CUDA cores didn't really make sense to have a card either in-between the GTX 1080 and Titan XP or better than the GTX Titan XP (not unlike the GTX 780Ti and the original GTX Titan). Well, looks like HardwareCanucks finally dropped a big hint... with Dmitry suggesting that the Aorus branding, which is synonymous with "premium" and " high-end", being a perfect match with the new NVIDIA GPU, it certainly seems like the GTX 1080Ti indeed exists.

On a side note, maybe this is the first GTX 1080Ti news post comes from a reputable source and has some sort of substance. Hooray.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Hmm, why would Nvidia let specifically him leak/reveal this?

I'm assuming they gave him permission.. Otherwise they won't be happy when they see that part of the video.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyype

5 minutes ago, Sunako said:

jay's video in that both listed the card in Dmitry's hands as a 1080 not as unreleased so maybe he just misspoke.

https://youtu.be/6jlBJBjRWHY

Perhaps, but the real implication here is that he pretty much confirmed/leaked the GTX 1080Ti's existence.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I find myself hoping that AMD Vega out-performs it. I'm sick of using Nvidia for triple monitor surround because their "support" is so horrible it's almost beyond a joke and more like a punishment for some perceived slight against them.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

12 minutes ago, Sunako said:

jay's video in that both listed the card in Dmitry's hands as a 1080 not as unreleased so maybe he just misspoke.

https://youtu.be/6jlBJBjRWHY

Jay said he could be wrong about it being a 1080 PCB though. Maybe Dmitri got someone at the Gigabyte booth talking and they told him what it was.

This is not a 1080ti. Its confirmed a refresh of their 1080 extreme cards already.

Considering the conflicting responses from several tech news outlets, most saying it's some form of a 1080, not a 1080 Ti, I think we can at best, call this speculated or rumoured.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Nvidia's gonna pull the ol' bait & switch and release a 1060 Ti instead, just to annoy the people hanging on the edge of their seats for the 1080 Ti. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I find myself hoping that AMD Vega out-performs it. I'm sick of using Nvidia for triple monitor surround because their "support" is so horrible it's almost beyond a joke and more like a punishment for some perceived slight against them.

Even if Vega comes up short of Titan XP, I would take a working implementation of multi monitor over 10% more frames per second. Settings in games can be tweaked.

44 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Nvidia's gonna pull the ol' bait & switch and release a 1060 Ti instead, just to annoy the people hanging on the edge of their seats for the 1080 Ti. 

I would laugh, a lot.

Except the 1060 Ti already exists, it's just called 1060 6GB

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Rune said:

Would buy 12/10.

Me too.  If it's a ti.  4K gaming here I'd come.  ?

51 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Considering the conflicting responses from several tech news outlets, most saying it's some form of a 1080, not a 1080 Ti, I think we can at best, call this speculated or rumoured.

Not saying you're wrong.  It's impossible to be sure one way or the other.  But if it was a 1080 why would they say they can't say exactly what it is?

Unless I'm missing something it wouldn't make sense to me to be cryptic about some new version of a graphics card that was released last summer.  

"The actual graphics core is so new that we can't actually tell you what it is"

"It will certainly be interesting spring time at HardwareCanucks offices"

Would a 1080Ti really operate on a completely new graphics core? 

I think this is something else. 

21 minutes ago, asone said:

"The actual graphics core is so new that we can't actually tell you what it is"

"It will certainly be interesting spring time at HardwareCanucks offices"

Would a 1080Ti really operate on a completely new graphics core? 

I think this is something else. 

The only other option is volta so which is more likely, the 1080ti is launching with a unique core, volta is releasing very early, or the person who told him the info misspoke/lied

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

Except the 1060 Ti already exists, it's just called 1060 6GB

So the Ti launched before the standard card?

4 minutes ago, Daring said:

So the Ti launched before the standard card?

Yeah why not? :P

Can't recall whether the 560 Ti launched before or after the 560, but I thought that at least one Ti card launched before its non-Ti counterpart

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Yeah why not? :P

Can't recall whether the 560 Ti launched before or after the 560, but I thought that at least one Ti card launched before its non-Ti counterpart

Oh, yeah. The 560 Ti launched before the 560.

I think everyone is to hyped for another Pascal GPU we know won't perform any better than a Titan XP and be ~$800-$900

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

6 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

things are not looking good for vega unfortunately. They are incredibly late to the party and despite taking so long at CES they were showing performance only slightly above the 1080. It's also nowhere near release still and will have to compete with upcoming NVidia GPUs.

Well the big gap in Nvidia's price landscape is where a 1060 Ti would sit.

Or rather, where a 1070 should sit, but we all know Nvidia thinks they're Apple.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Well I hope it's not the case or that they don't buttfuck Dmtri and Eber for breaking NDA.

I mean, for the tech sure I want more details for the 1080ti or a sneak preview but not at the expense of one of the best b-rolling channels out there matched only by Brandon and not always.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Well the big gap in Nvidia's price landscape is where a 1060 Ti would sit.

Or rather, where a 1070 should sit, but we all know Nvidia thinks they're Apple.

its where it would sit, the only possible way this is the 1060 Ti, is if its using the long rumored GP104-150 graphics core, and that's very unlikely considering GP104-140 is being used in the GTX 1060 3 GB card

this is definitely not volta either but in the case it were, its been long overdue, since it was supposed to be released after maxwell

and like i said in the other thread if this was a 1080, hardwarecannucks would have said something to the effect of take a look at gigabyte's aorus using the gtx 1080 graphics core, and like a poster in this thread there's only several options

1. This is the 1080 Ti, he's just not allowed to say that it is for nda reasons

2. Somehow, someway this is actually the GTX 1090

3. Titan X Pascal Aib Card (very unlikely but maybe it is)

4. It turns out that it is a 1080 and all the hype was for nothing

5. None of the Above and its something else

9 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

This is not a 1080ti. Its confirmed a refresh of their 1080 extreme cards already.

Then why aren't they allowed to tell us what it is? Because the NDA on the 1080 lifted a very, very long time ago...

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats