I want a pet CPU...

Dunkan77

Hell guys,

I wanted a pet CPU... My friend has this old Celeron D that he can't use anymore and it's sitting on his desk and he wouldn't give it to me saying it was his pet CPU and now I want one too... Am I weird?
Also, which CPU do you recommend I get because I'm going to see if anyone has a CPU so old it's useless inside a PC and just gives it to me. Or a shop that has like a bucket of old/broken ones xD
How should I name it if I get one?

1 minute ago, peej said:

i have a old core 2 duo that i drilled a hole in and stuck on my keyring lol (it was already dead it got to hot and died lol)

Hey that's actually not a bad idea! A keyring CPU... hmm clever guy you are and everyone probably goes "What the hell is that??"

1 minute ago, Dunkan77 said:

Hey that's actually not a bad idea! A keyring CPU... hmm clever guy you are and everyone probably goes "What the hell is that??"

yeah it certainly turns heads the only downside is that it hurts somtimes if it gets in the wrong position in your pocket or hand 

I lurk a lot

Cheapest way is probably to find anyone binning an old computer and extract it from that, assuming it is socketed and not soldered. Otherwise, buying old CPUs on ebay wont break the bank.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Weird, but amusing idea.  You could always take it out of a computer your family used (first family computer?), or find a similar CPU at a shop.  Failing that... probably an old Core 2 era chip would be best.  Anything else and you'd be dealing with pins and price.  You could try a shop, but I sincerely doubt they keep em around for more than a day before tossing em.  

14 minutes ago, porina said:

Otherwise, buying old CPUs on ebay wont break the bank.

Like how a core 2 duo only costs like $1.5? :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

just go on ebay , pentium 4´s are literally 1$ buy now 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

There's an athlon a1400 on my desk with a chipped die. Not because I want it there it's just lumped in with the pile of other crap, might add it to the collection.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

18 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

just go on ebay , pentium 4´s are literally 1$ buy now 

unfortunately i live in a fairly remote place where shipping itself often is 20 USD or more... :\ thats why i wanted to go down to a astore to not have shipping to pay for

5 minutes ago, Dunkan77 said:

unfortunately i live in a fairly remote place where shipping itself often is 20 USD or more... :\ thats why i wanted to go down to a astore to not have shipping to pay for

thank you USPS , the united shipping piece of shit

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

I mean, I have a Pentium G6950 my stepdad and I turned into a keychain.

Just use old hardware?

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

I have a 4670k that's been sitting on my desk in a motherboard with a borked VRM for like 3 months, I'm just too lazy to order a new mobo for it.

【=◈︿◈=】

\\ CPU i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz(1.26v) \\ GPU | 1070 FE 8GB  // Audio FiiO E10k / AT M50X //

\\ Monitor | LG 29UM69G-B \\ Phone LG G6 H870DS // Nintendo Switch //

get a I7 6950X, those make for the best pets

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Question, do you want a pet CPU that can do tricks or do you want one that just lays in the sun snapping at dust bunnies?

If the former, then this.

If the latter, then something like this.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

If you want a CPU you can actually "pet" you can get a Intel Pentium 3 SLOT CPU (Or the AMD ATHLON 800Mhz cartridge). They are awesome!

Athlon800SA.jpg

Pfft, a pet chip need not be lidded. Snag an old mobile CPU, preferably an Arrandale. The 2 dies on one package looks quite good. One might use clear epoxy to protect the die(s). 

20160303_184921.jpg

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I actually went and gutted my first gaming system for its Core 2 Duo E4600. I am now wiping it with cloth everyday for about 10 mins in the hope it'll end up shiny from the abrasion ^.^

well if you happen to live in the EU i can send you a random one from my collection, i have about 25 or possiably even more CPUs, rangeing in preformance from 2001 Celerons(both in laptop form and with a lid) to an Athlon 245 x2 and an I3 530(you aint getting the I3 tho, thats mine for keeping or selling :P ) lol as long as you pay shipping im fine with sending one, i have loads of antistatic bags and it will probably be packaged in an antistatic bag and then put in an enveloap for maximum cheap

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I have pet CPUs as well, saved from the first computers I had 

Snapchat-1405981931.jpg

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

On 1/8/2017 at 5:52 AM, peej said:

i have a old core 2 duo that i drilled a hole in and stuck on my keyring lol (it was already dead it got to hot and died lol)

I did that to a Core 2 quad (Q6600 The scrapyard war favorite) that had died on me drive

On 1/8/2017 at 3:56 AM, peej said:

yeah it certainly turns heads the only downside is that it hurts somtimes if it gets in the wrong position in your pocket or hand 

Try filing and sanding the corners. Did that with an old p4.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

12 hours ago, Dunkan77 said:

I actually went and gutted my first gaming system for its Core 2 Duo E4600. I am now wiping it with cloth everyday for about 10 mins in the hope it'll end up shiny from the abrasion ^.^

Use polishing stuff.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro