Jump to content
LinusTech

January 6, 2017 - The WAN Show Document

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

 

Soundcloud Link:

 

Rapid Fire

LINUS - Rant About Mobility and Performance in Laptops, and big bulky laptops removing the mobility part

Acer Predator 21 - http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/3/14126754/acer-predator-21-x-gaming-laptop-announced-price-release-date-ces-2017

 

Razer Valerie - https://www.cnet.com/au/products/razer-project-valerie/preview/

Blackberry Mercury Smartphone Hands On

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/04/blackberry-mercury-hands-on/

Dell Announces 8K Display Along Slew of new Monitors

http://www.windowscentral.com/4k-so-pass-dell-announces-8k-display-among-slew-new-monitors

New HDMI 2.1 Spec includes support for Dynamic HDR, 8K Resolution, and more

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3153629/smart-tv/new-hdmi-21-spec-includes-support-for-dynamic-hdr-8k-resolution-and-more.html

Qualcomm says 5G is the Biggest Thing Since Electricity

https://www.cnet.com/news/qualcomm-ces-2017-keynote-5g-is-the-biggest-thing-since-electricity/

Bitcoin Lost $3 Billion in Market Value in 40 Minutes

https://qz.com/878931/bitcoin-lost-3-billion-in-market-value-in-40-minutes/

LG Abandons the Modular Smartphone After One Model

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/446552,lg-abandons-the-modular-smartphone-after-just-one-model.aspx AMD Confirms all Ryzen CPUs are Overclockable + Not Just Octacore Available at Launch

HTC Announces Viveport - Subscription Based VR Service

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/718577-htc-announces-viveport-a-subscription-based-vr-service/

Intel - Credit Card sized PC

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-unveils-intel-compute-card-credit-card-sized-compute-platform/

CES 2017: LG fridge is powered by Amazon’s Alexa

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38509167

Thousands of People are Watching Two Google Homes Argue With Each Other on Twitch

http://gizmodo.com/thousands-of-people-are-watching-two-google-homes-argue-1790843285

Vine Will Shut Down for Good this Month

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2017/01/05/vine-will-shut-down-for-good-this-month/#

AMD Announces “FreeSync 2”

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/716483-amd-announces-freesync-2/ OP: HKZeroFive

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, AMD better not screw up the launch... Having a range of core counts being launched at the same time will be quite good actually :D


Spoiler
Spoiler

Yukuru (Main rig): i5-6600k @ stock | Silverstone AR04 | iGPU (Godawful) | 1x8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2800 (Running 2133) | ASRock H110M-STX | 128GB Plextor M6S + NAS | Delta 120W Power brick (Thanks @iamdarkyoshi) | Custom Case (Build log| MSX

Spoiler

Blast From the Past (Disassembled and decommissioned as of the 7th of December, 2016, you will be missed): Asus A8Js | C2D T7200 @ 2GHz | Nvidia Go 7700 512MB DDR2 | 2x1GB DDR2-667 Kingston RAM | Hitachi TravelStar 5K160 160GB 5400 HDD | Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch late 2013 model i7-4558U (2C/4T @ 3.3GHz Turbo) Intel Iris 5100 graphics (1200MHz boosts) 8GB DDR3-1600 Soldered on 2560 x 1600 display (Looks very nice)

Spoiler

Box (Brother's Rig): Xeon X5450 | Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2 | Asus P5G41C-M LX | Asus GT 730 2GB Passive | 2x2GB Noname (DDR2-667) | Crucial BX200 240GB + 320GB HDD | Aerocool Strike-X 500W | Win7 Home Premium

Spoiler

Spiky Box (Sister's Rig, needs upgrades): i7-4790 | Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2 | Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | KFA2 GTX 560 Ti EX OC | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair CX600 | Aerocool Xpredator X3 Red/Gold edition (My old case) | MSX 

 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Whitelist PSU Tier list F@H stats | Mining Ethereum

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yay, WAN show! Just in time for when I woke up :D


A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zMeul said:

the second I saw Austin .. nooope! closed the video

He was actually pretty cool. Tiny bit of being annoying.


A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DKL said:

He was actually pretty cool. Tiny bit of being annoying.

I seriously can't stand the guy after some promo video (at least) he did couple of year(s) back - he's a sellout

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Timestamps, compilations of YouTube comments and some of my own findings
Credit to user: Mario, Levente Sipos, James Ward, CoU Crush, jjws600, SarcasticDragon Gaming

00:06:25 - AMD Ryzen
00:10:15 - Ryzen vs 6900K in Battlefield 1
00:11:24 - Taran randomly appears 
00:12:36 - Taran randomly appears again 
00:13:10 - AM4 Motherboards and features
00:18:45 - VEGA
00:21:30 - Sony OLED TVs
00:22:10 - 4K TV with Dolby Vision HDR 
00:26:30 - Linus tells a funny story 
00:31:33 - Taran randomly appears again and does things 
00:36:46 - Taran randomly appears again
00:36:50 - Dell 8K Monitor
00:39:48 - Taran randomly appears again 
00:43:24 - Sponsor - Squarespace
00:43:38 - Sponsor - FreshBooks
00:43:50 - Sponsor - dbrand Skins
00:43:57 - Sponsor - AMD
00:44:10 - Sponsor - Synergy 
00:45:45 - Razer Project Valory
00:51:50 - Acer Predator 21X
00:56:39 - Faraday Future
01:03:50 - LG modular smartphone is dead
01:06:05 - New HDMI spec, 2.1 
01:06:17 - LG shiny new wallpaper TV
01:06:37 - Linus TV Rant

Taran Random Appearances and Moments 
1. 00:11:24
2. 00:12:36
3. 00:31:33
4. 00:36:46
5. 00:39:48

Link to post
Share on other sites

It'd be really good if you could add the sponsor links to the YouTube description... especially with something like symless not being spelt like the actual English word seamless...

 

Sadly watching live from the UK isn't exactly viable for getting the link in the chat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4K at 65 inches is way too big. With 4K, you are really bumping up against the limits when you reach around 40 inches.
 At 77 inches, you are pretty much looking at 8K resolution minimum to experience a decent image without the screen door effect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Razor512 said:

4K at 65 inches is way too big. With 4K, you are really bumping up against the limits when you reach around 40 inches.
 At 77 inches, you are pretty much looking at 8K resolution minimum to experience a decent image without the screen door effect.

How close are you sitting to your TV that 77" 4k is not enough

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, reflector36 said:

How close are you sitting to your TV that 77" 4k is not enough

 

A good seating distance for a TV, is probably in the range of 5-8 feet.

 

The 8K 32 inch display is that they talked about, is close to the sweet spot, with probably 28 inch being about right for a display.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So from that, we really will need a minimum of 8K for a 65-77 inch TV, though we really need to start pushing for 16K. For example, an 80 inch 16K display at a 6 foot seating distance, would offer a decent viewing experience, with minimal screen door.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, LinusTech said:

 

Soundcloud Link:

 

Rapid Fire

LINUS - Rant About Mobility and Performance in Laptops, and big bulky laptops removing the mobility part

Acer Predator 21 - http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/3/14126754/acer-predator-21-x-gaming-laptop-announced-price-release-date-ces-2017

 

Razer Valerie - https://www.cnet.com/au/products/razer-project-valerie/preview/

Blackberry Mercury Smartphone Hands On

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/04/blackberry-mercury-hands-on/

Dell Announces 8K Display Along Slew of new Monitors

http://www.windowscentral.com/4k-so-pass-dell-announces-8k-display-among-slew-new-monitors

New HDMI 2.1 Spec includes support for Dynamic HDR, 8K Resolution, and more

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3153629/smart-tv/new-hdmi-21-spec-includes-support-for-dynamic-hdr-8k-resolution-and-more.html

Qualcomm says 5G is the Biggest Thing Since Electricity

https://www.cnet.com/news/qualcomm-ces-2017-keynote-5g-is-the-biggest-thing-since-electricity/

Bitcoin Lost $3 Billion in Market Value in 40 Minutes

https://qz.com/878931/bitcoin-lost-3-billion-in-market-value-in-40-minutes/

LG Abandons the Modular Smartphone After One Model

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/446552,lg-abandons-the-modular-smartphone-after-just-one-model.aspx AMD Confirms all Ryzen CPUs are Overclockable + Not Just Octacore Available at Launch

HTC Announces Viveport - Subscription Based VR Service

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/718577-htc-announces-viveport-a-subscription-based-vr-service/

Intel - Credit Card sized PC

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-unveils-intel-compute-card-credit-card-sized-compute-platform/

CES 2017: LG fridge is powered by Amazon’s Alexa

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38509167

Thousands of People are Watching Two Google Homes Argue With Each Other on Twitch

http://gizmodo.com/thousands-of-people-are-watching-two-google-homes-argue-1790843285

Vine Will Shut Down for Good this Month

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2017/01/05/vine-will-shut-down-for-good-this-month/#

AMD Announces “FreeSync 2”

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/716483-amd-announces-freesync-2/ OP: HKZeroFive

 

 

 

I'm new to the forum. What is the best way for my comments to be read by actual staff? I'm hoping commenting to the most recent post I could find is a good start. Furthermore, is it possible to upload picture files in the forum?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Razor512 said:

4K at 65 inches is way too big. With 4K, you are really bumping up against the limits when you reach around 40 inches.
 At 77 inches, you are pretty much looking at 8K resolution minimum to experience a decent image without the screen door effect.

I'm not sure what limits you're bumping up against. 40 inches is about as small as commercial 4K TVs come. And what is the "8K resolution minimum" about? 8K is literally the maximum resolution of any TV on the planet. They also don't come in 77 inches.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×