Asus: AMD entry level Zen motherboard pictured

NumLock21
1 minute ago, tlink said:

The only 32 bit applications i encounter are drivers. which annoys me because its often for motherboards that support only 64 bit processors.

Most browsers, media players, and Windows applications are either exclusively 32bit, or the 64bit only supports more RAM.

Also, the vast majority of games are 32bit, with the only real exceptions being new triple A titles and some VR titles.

So when it comes down to it, 64bit was really beneficial to industrial and commercial uses that were tailored for 64bit for a long time. To the gaming and home use markets, 64bit was leveraged as a marketing tactic to get people to spend more without seeing benefits, and the same thing is happening with the phone industry.

Also, x86-64 processors don't care if a driver is 32bit or 64bit. Both are supported, and there are no gains going from one to the other.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

43 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Just a reminder that even on "high end" DVI is still not all obsolete due to Display Port?

But I didn't complain about DVI :(

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Pictures of Gigabyte's AX370-Gaming K3 Motherboard have been released. This is a fairly low to middle class board.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/gigabyte_ax370-gaming_k3_am4_motherboard_pictured/1

Spoiler

29130923349l.jpg

USB 3.1 Gen2 (that's the 10Gbps version)

Support for NVMe over PCI-E 3.0 x4 on an m.2 slot

Spoiler

29130923485l.jpg

Here you can see the rear-i/o:

keyboard/mouse USB 3.0 (possibly PS/2?)

HDMI

USB 3.0

USB 3.1

Gigabit ethernet

Audio

So kind of what you'd expect, really.

"full frontal" picture of the board (unfortunately whoever took the photo doesn't know how to use autofocus on their camera :( ):

Spoiler

29130923268l.jpg

One fully x16 PCI-E slot, which is in the second "slot position", which will make people with larger heatsinks happy. The m.2 slot is under where the graphics card would be.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

On 12/31/2016 at 1:44 AM, SamStrecker said:

Why does it have VGA, DVI, and serial connectors on it?

I also see USB 3.0 and HDMI

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

looks crap. no chance of putting 8 cores of fury in that thing. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

On 1.1.2017 at 5:27 PM, Drak3 said:

Also, the vast majority of games are 32bit, with the only real exceptions being new triple A titles and some VR titles.

So when it comes down to it, 64bit was really beneficial to industrial and commercial uses that were tailored for 64bit for a long time. To the gaming and home use markets, 64bit was leveraged as a marketing tactic to get people to spend more without seeing benefits

Multiple cases of games where 64 bit mattered. Dying Light on launch week for example, croaked unless you had around 10GB of RAM to throw at it on maximum settings due to the way the AI worked. Unfortunately they dumbed the AI down the following patch because people in the "HURR DURR 8GB IS ALWAYS GUNNA BE ENUFF" camp bitching and moaning. Space Engineers really does need and utilise its 64 bit capabilities. My server is always above 8GB even when empty. (Also not an AAA game)

And then there's Star Citizen, which not only has a 64 bit client, but double precision world code server side, both for believable universe size and multiple stacking of local grids (ships within ships within ships within ships and the physics of interaction) (also an indie)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

On 12/31/2016 at 10:05 AM, Dabombinable said:

why did they even bother adding that tiny heatsink to that section of the VRM if they don't intend to cover the other section?

The VRM is probably 4+1 or 4+2 where the +1/+2 are for auxiliary voltages or for stuff like memory controller inside the cpu, basically low power rails for the processor. The big hard working phases are under heatsink. 

Since they know no cpus would ever use more than some amount of watts (let's say 10-20 watts), they can estimate how hot the mosfets will be based on the peak power that goes through them and they know how much the PCB alone can dissipate, so it's probably safe to not have a heatsink on that section of the VRM.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The VRM is probably 4+1 or 4+2 where the +1/+2 are for auxiliary voltages or for stuff like memory controller inside the cpu, basically low power rails for the processor. The big hard working phases are under heatsink. 

Since they know no cpus would ever use more than some amount of watts (let's say 10-20 watts), they can estimate how hot the mosfets will be based on the peak power that goes through them and they know how much the PCB alone can dissipate, so it's probably safe to not have a heatsink on that section of the VRM.

It's either 4+3, 5+2 or 6+1. Most likely the first and the last options though. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

On 12/31/2016 at 1:38 AM, NumLock21 said:

122311guuu7z0xwtle9xux.jpg

One inductor, pair of mosfets and their driver for each phase below ..pair of capacitors for each phase (to keep vertical height low)...  so it's probably 4+2 or 4+1 and 1 separate dc-dc converter.

It's enough considering desktop Zen cpus are rumored to be with max 95w TDP.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

One inductor, pair of mosfets and their driver for each phase below ..pair of capacitors for each phase (to keep vertical height low)...  so it's probably 4+2 or 4+1 and 1 separate dc-dc converter.

It's enough considering desktop Zen cpus are rumored to be with max 95w TDP.

No one would buy this motherboard for a ZEN CPU. It would mostly be used for cheaper AM4 APU's.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

36 minutes ago, Notional said:

No one would buy this motherboard for a ZEN CPU. It would mostly be used for cheaper AM4 APU's.

A320 should be like intel's h110, your "nobody" is a huge market.

I know and give Apple a lot of shit for ditching connectivity to be "forward thinking" but serial is safely one of those connectors that should never be included on any new products to force a refresh to technology from this century.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

nice to see OC support on more than just the top tier. 

4 hours ago, Notional said:

When you install a high wattage CPU (eg. Xeon X5450) on a board with a 3+1 phase VRM that has no heatsinks (eg. Asus P5K VM) and it works....I'd say that this cheap AM4 motherboard would even have some overclocking headroom.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

30 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

When you install a high wattage CPU (eg. Xeon X5450) on a board with a 3+1 phase VRM that has no heatsinks (eg. Asus P5K VM) and it works....I'd say that this cheap AM4 motherboard would even have some overclocking headroom.

Except this board is on the A320 chipset so no overclocking is going to happen here.

This is for people who really don't care about overclocking and get a Ryzen CPU that isn't unlocked (which I'm sure we'll have). Great for a budget gaming box or a HTPC.

Ye ole' train

Anyone have a more complete list for the AM4 boards out today or about to be out?

3 minutes ago, Sirgeorge said:

Anyone have a more complete list for the AM4 boards out today or about to be out?

We will once CES starts. Look out for the videos on the boards.

Ye ole' train

Oh, ya. Can't wait for CES. When do you suppose we'll be getting more info on Ryzen itself?

6 minutes ago, Sirgeorge said:

Oh, ya. Can't wait for CES. When do you suppose we'll be getting more info on Ryzen itself?

AMD has two sessions planned at CES. One is confirmed to be Vega. The other one can logically only be an announcement on when Ryzen goes live.

Ye ole' train

Well, they have a CPU project and a GPU project...and one of two sessions are confirmed to be about GPU...well...ya that would make sense.