AMD's 'RYZEN' Detailed - Octacore, 3.4GHz + & Dynamic Overclocking

HKZeroFive

Stream starts at 3pm CST.

Link? UK

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I like the CPU Boost (a.k.a. GPU Boost for CPUs) feature. If for nothing else this is already one feature intel will have to copy and even then they'll probably lock it to K chips only (because fuck you, that's why) so already there's a point for red team from the get go.

We need a lot more but this is certainly a brownie point towards giving Zen the vote for at least 1 generation.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I like the CPU Boost (a.k.a. GPU Boost for CPUs) feature. If for nothing else this is already one feature intel will have to copy and even then they'll probably lock it to K chips only (because fuck you, that's why) so already there's a point for red team from the get go.

We need a lot more but this is certainly a brownie point towards giving Zen the vote for at least 1 generation.

My curiosity is asking if this will work if you OC

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

I am guessing the 3,4ghz+ is becaue they have something like auto overclock system.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

My curiosity is asking if this will work if you OC

From the article I saw on OC3D it seemed to imply it was either this or traditional overclocking, not both. But we'll see I guess.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

From the article I saw on OC3D it seemed to imply it was either this or traditional overclocking, not both. But we'll see I guess.

ah that would make sense but it would also be pretty cool if both worked... you go do your reg OC and the CPU boosts up higher (It sounds stupid I know but still would be cool none the less)

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

4 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

That's not even the stream link, thus uk.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Just now, NumLock21 said:

That's not even the stream link, thus uk.

Pretty sure the stream is going to be embedded on that page.

4 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

ah that would make sense but it would also be pretty cool if both worked... you go do your reg OC and the CPU boosts up higher (It sounds stupid I know but still would be cool none the less)

Well my guess would be concerns regarding power delivery: the CPU Boost will probably be able to clock up on any motherboard (and even any chipset if they decide) but will take into account how much can the power delivery on said mobo and rig in general can be pushed.

Whereas in a GPU the board partner designs the PCB, power delivery and cooling solution and even how much power it can potentially use so they feel users can push even more if they want to since they can account for it conservatively yet AMD probably can't predict how decent or shit is your mobo's power delivery so it's better to err on the side of caution.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Pretty sure the stream is going to be embedded on that page.

I used a throw away email to sign up and it forces you to agree, for them to send you their other updates and infos.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Well my guess would be concerns regarding power delivery: the CPU Boost will probably be able to clock up on any motherboard (and even any chipset if they decide) but will take into account how much can the power delivery on said mobo and rig in general can be pushed.

Whereas in a GPU the board partner designs the PCB, power delivery and cooling solution and even how much power it can potentially use so they feel users can push even more if they want to since they can account for it conservatively yet AMD probably can't predict how decent or shit is your mobo's power delivery so it's better to err on the side of caution.

Ik pesky motherboard manufacturers hopefully the high end board are designed well enough to meet power requirements if these turn out to be good over clockers.

Just now, NumLock21 said:

I used a throw away email to sign up and it forces you to agree, for them to send you their other updates and infos.

That's probably just to notify you that it's started. I think the video will just get embedded on that page, so no need to sign up.

5 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Ik pesky motherboard manufacturers hopefully the high end board are designed well enough to meet power requirements if these turn out to be good over clockers.

Well it would be a nice feature of high end boards but then again, if AMD does the detection good enough you might only get marginally better results with anything but LN2 cooling. If a high end mobo, powerful PSU and high end custom water loop combo can get your Zen chip to say, 4.7 or 4.8 all on it's own I say it's good enough to call it a day or turn it off and push your system manually into 5.0 ghz if you want without needing to run the risk of turning both on (Cause I do believe it would be a lot more complicated for AMD without testing the board in question fairly ahead of time)

If the CPU boost #s however are poor (same ideal set up gets you to 4.3ghz but you can manually jump to 5.0 like a huge disparity) then maybe yes let you turn on both. Depends on how aggressive or conservative the feature ends up being.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Well it would be a nice feature of high end boards but then again, if AMD does the detection good enough you might only get marginally better results with anything but LN2 cooling. If a high end mobo, powerful PSU and high end custom water loop combo can get your Zen chip to say, 4.7 or 4.8 all on it's own I say it's good enough to call it a day or turn it off and push your system manually into 5.0 ghz if you want without needing to run the risk of turning both on (Cause I do believe it would be a lot more complicated for AMD without testing the board in question fairly ahead of time)

If the CPU boost #s however are poor (same ideal set up gets you to 4.3ghz but you can manually jump to 5.0 like a huge disparity) then maybe yes let you turn on both. Depends on how aggressive or conservative the feature ends up being.

I'm just hoping zen is good... I wanna give my current rig to my gf

So AMD's CPU gets equivalent of Nvidia's GPU boost before AMD's GPU.

Oh what the hell xD

23 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

I'm just hoping zen is good... I wanna give my current rig to my gf

Yup, that's my plan as well.  De-suckify my custom cooling loop find a more gaming-stable overclock, add an SSD boot drive, and off you go.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

3 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Yup, that's my plan as well.  De-suckify my custom cooling loop find a more gaming-stable overclock, add an SSD boot drive, and off you go.

I'll have to get her a new case though... she won't be gettign my Define S :P

13 hours ago, Energycore said:

You're right, to an extent. Given the same TDP, more cores mean lower clocks. I'm wondering though, why Broadwell-E can't hit clocks as high as Haswell-E, even given the same core count. That seems backwards.

I know right? By the time of release it will beat the best Intel from 2020 and AMD will pay you for getting one. And it will overclock to 6GHz on a Hyper 212 EVO.

Die shrinks mean lower clock speed. That's why the 4790k could squeak out 5ghz but the 6700k can barely squeak out 4.8ghz

Time is endless

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Copy pasted from my post hope everyone is fine

North America

Vancouver, Reno, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas: 3pm

Edmonton, Calgary, Denver, Salt Lake city: 4pm

Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Mexico city, Kansas city, Chicago: 5pm

Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, New York, Washington DC, Miami: 6pm

Seems wrong? AMD posted they are presenting a 3pm CST. That equates to 4pm in New York. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

2 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

I thought it was 3 PM CT? Isn't that 4 PM for Ottawa through Miami and 1 PM for Vacouver through Vegas?

fuck. i messed up. fuuuuuuuck

6 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Europe

London, Reykjavik, Dublin: 11pm same day

Paris, Rome, Madrid, Berlin, Brussels, Amsterdam: 12am (midnight) December 14

Athens, Riga, Kiev, Bucharest: 1am December 14

Istanbul, Moscow: 2am December 14

It's on 4 hours and 15 minutes from now. That would make it 22 (10 pm) in Paris, Rome, etc. So 21 (9 pm) in London, etc.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I reckon Ryzen is a pretty clever name, if it's pronounced "Risen". Zen is in the name, and "Risen" implies that this is what will make AMD rise again. Pretty nice.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Updated with the correct time

North America

Vancouver, Reno, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas: 1pm

Edmonton, Calgary, Denver, Salt Lake city: 2pm

Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Mexico city, Kansas city, Chicago: 3pm

Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, New York, Washington DC, Miami: 4pm

Central America aka Captain Jack Sparrow's home and South America

Havana, Nassau, Port-Au-Prince, Lima, Panama: 6pm

Santo Domingo, La Paz: 7pm

Buenos Aires, Santiago: 8pm

Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paolo: 9pm

Europe

London, Reykjavik, Dublin: 9pm

Paris, Rome, Madrid, Berlin, Brussels, Amsterdam: 10pm

Athens, Riga, Kiev, Bucharest: 11pm

Istanbul, Moscow: 12am December 14

Africa:

Casablanca: 9pm

Lagos: 10pm

Cairo, Cape Town: 11pm

Mogadishu: 12am December 14

Asia

Karachi: 2am December 14

Delhi, Mumbai: 2:30am December 14

Jakarta, Bangkok: 4am December 14

Hong Kong, Beijing, Manila: 5am December 14

Tokyo: 6am December 14

Down under

Perth: 5am December 14

Darwin, Adelaide: 6:30am December 14

Brisbane: 7am December 14

Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne: 8am December 14

Wellington: 10pm December 14

See if your city is missing (don't tell me you live in some rural region and demands to be in here)